Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2007, 02:37 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

TOKYO — Toyota Motor Corp. became the world's top auto seller in the first three months of the year, passing rival General Motors Corp. for the first time, the Japanese automaker said Tuesday.

Toyota sold 2.348 million vehicles worldwide in the January-March quarter, company spokesman Satoshi Yamaguchi said, surpassing the 2.26 million vehicles that GM said it sold during the same period.

The results mark the first time Toyota has beat GM in global sales on a quarterly basis, he said.

While the figures represent only quarterly sales results, they foreshadow a tough challenge for GM as it fights to hold onto its title as world's top automaker — a claim usually staked on annual production figures.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,267980,00.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 07:10 AM

653 posts, read 3,409,555 times
This does not suprise me at all--it was bound to happen. While Toyota manufactures HIGH QUALITY vehicles that for the most part are fuel efficient, General Motors continues to produce JUNK. G.M. has been focused on selling low mileage SUVs--mainly because they are the ONLY vechicles they sell that yield a profit. Toyota will no doubt retain it's #1 ranking in the auto industry. KUDOs to Toyota!!!!

Old 04-24-2007, 10:45 PM

188 posts, read 811,222 times
It was gonna happen sooner or later that a Japanese Car Company would take the lead.
I THINK , i dont have the numbers myself , if you do the numbers for all Japanese Car Makers they would leave the BIG 3 behind on total sales each month.

Old 04-25-2007, 04:18 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,758,476 times
I think Nissan will be the next to pass. Due to my favorite car Nissan Maxima.

Old 04-25-2007, 04:37 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
maybe this will push gm (and ford) to produce more fuel efficient vehicles, over 40mpg.
gm or ford, should come out with an affordable car that gets 50-70 mpg, call it the "green" , instead of a sun roof, put solar panels on top of the car, that converts energy into a battery(a battery/deisil) hybrid.
all the components in the vehicle, was produced with minimal enviro impact.

the automotive plant would be union-free, with productivity rewards for all workers (unions reward "seniority" not initiative, or productivity)

also the "green" car plant wold have solar panels,and any other envro friendly derived energy.

im in no way an enviromental whacko...but im seeing these prius's on the road,,and what does gm or ford have thats comparable??

and what happens when gas is 5-8 a gallon??? as a country, that may put us in a depression,,,(inflation gone wild)

Old 05-12-2007, 05:11 PM

129 posts, read 566,260 times
Default New Toyota

Last week I was thrust into finding a new car since my son was in a head on collision. Getting beyond the shock and moving on, I had 2 vehicles in mind and a price I wanted to pay. I loved the new Camry design, the roomy interior, the handling, then reading all the added pluses about the Toyota it was hands down.
I am not surprised Toyota been given the high rankings.

Old 05-12-2007, 08:27 PM

109 posts, read 393,112 times
Fun thread!

We have had junk American cars shoved at us since the mid 70's but the 80's sticks in my mind. Poor fit and finish, noisy and unreliable drivetrains. I haven't even gotten to the life sucking sweetheart deals made between the Union and Management, crippling any hope of competing dollar for dollar with non union made Japanese and Korean car manufacturers. Year after year I've thought surly the Big Three see the turn of events and will come up swinging. Alas they continued with SUV production numbers for 2006 while gas climbed and everyone else started making smaller units.

I've always felt the BIG Three made it's share of eye candy but when attached to junk it just lost something in the translation.

What really did it for me was the fact that at 6'4" I found more foreign makes than domestic that I fit comfortably in. How in the H did that happen?!?!?!

I'm not counting the BIG Three out just yet though.....and neither are their stockholders.

Old 05-13-2007, 04:07 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,404,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreggB View Post
This does not suprise me at all--it was bound to happen. While Toyota manufactures HIGH QUALITY vehicles that for the most part are fuel efficient, General Motors continues to produce JUNK. G.M. has been focused on selling low mileage SUVs--mainly because they are the ONLY vechicles they sell that yield a profit. Toyota will no doubt retain it's #1 ranking in the auto industry. KUDOs to Toyota!!!!
They dont focus on selling big SUVs with low mileage. Sure they sell alot of them, but thats not their fault now is it? In fact, GM has been downsizing alot of thier vehicles, with the emphasis of obtaining better gas mileage (mainly in their Pontiac and Saturn lines). They also have MANY vehicles that run on flex fuel, probably the most of any car company. ALL car manufacturers offer overweight, gas-guzzling SUVs (even Porsche!), GM is no different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion