Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2012, 09:15 AM

607 posts, read 2,369,162 times

Advertisements

Hey folks getting close to retreading this car and was looking for some input. Have been going with michelin ltx ms2 and have been paying for the brand name. Is there other tires that you have been impressed with for same price or even a little cheaper? Drive in all weather conditions, so that is a factor. Oh well any imput would be appreciated. How many miles are you getting out of your tire?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2012, 09:24 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,253,074 times
Go to tirerack.com or a similar site find a price range you are happy with, then start reading reviews.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:11 AM

3,135 posts, read 11,896,205 times
I just got the Michelin LTX MS/2. This tire will last almost 2x as the others and perfroms the best. You get what you pay for. Can almost always find a $70-100 rebate on them, so they aren't that much more expensive compared to the other top brands.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:50 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,932,190 times
I've had several sets of the Michelin LTX MS tires and they all were good tires when I first bought them. Mileage was great with most going 50,000 miles or more. The down side is that as they age, they get hard as a rock. Ride quality pretty much disappears as does wet weather performance. The favorite around here now is the Yokohama Geolander HT-S but you have to watch the max tire pressures. On my Supercrew, a set with a 35lb max air limit dropped my fuel mileage by a whopping 27%. The next set I looked for a higher max air pressure and bought a set rated at 50lbs. Fuel mileage is back and ride quality didn't suffer at all. They are fabulous in wet weather, medium offroad, and are super quiet. But I don't drive in snow here so they may suck in snow, I wouldn't know. But as suggested, take a look at the reviews for your vehicle at the tire sites and make a choice. What works on mine may suck on yours. Example: Revos tires. I bought a set of these for a Supercrew which had the original General tires. Usually the first thing I do with new tires is run them hard. They handled so bad I took them back but all the Firestone store would do is replace them with another Firestone/Bridgestone tire. Because of other issues and the tires, I traded the truck off. But the Revos, the highly rated Revos, were the absolute worst tires I've ever bought including El Cheapos from Pep Boys.

Old 10-14-2012, 09:02 PM

Yeah, I have put a few sets of Ltx's on this car and have noticed the hard tire syndrome. Get pretty good mileage from these but at a premium price. I was hoping someone else had experience on other tires. Anyone have any good things to say about hancook 727"s? Oh well, let me know if you have other ideas. I have been on the tire rack sight...just hoping to hear from users out here.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:58 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,702,592 times
I'm not sure if they make them in your size (not enough info posted to check) but I have been very impressed with the General Grabber HTS tires for light trucks and SUV's. I've found it to be a good riding, quiet, long wear tire that still returns above average performance in poor weather. They are one of the top recommended tires on TireRack and I have had them on a couple of different vehicles, as well as know a couple of fleets that run them and have not been disappointed.

General*Grabber HTS

It's a good option for a high quality, yet lower cost alternative to the OEM or "better known" brand tires.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:10 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,173,765 times
I run the brigestone revos on a 3/4 ton plow truck and we love them.
They will be the next tire to go on my 4Runner(suv) and the rest of our plow trucks.
They also out performed the BFG AT's in the snow.
we have a set of good/year discovery's now, they are good but not as good in the loose stuff as the revos are and to me the revos seam quieter.

michlens are good to we get well over 50k out of a set but they are not my favorite wet weather tire.
I wonder about anyone putting C rated tires (max psi35lb) on a 3/4 ton truck
you can get away with D's if your careful But E rated tires are recommended .

Old 10-15-2012, 07:10 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,092,976 times
You really need to look at the feedback ratings on Tire Rack or similar - remind us where you live, who drives this SUV, in what conditions, etc.

Final thought - buy good tires, even if they cost more than you wanted to spend, and wince once.

Buy cheap, crap tires, and wince every trip.

I don't get carried away with expecting more than about 40 to 50K miles from a tire - it's hard to do more than that without going to a hard compound, which won't grip.

Old 10-20-2012, 07:45 AM

Northern CA, drive in 4 seasons, drive 200 miles daily, and have had multiple sets of Michelin ltx's. Just wondering if there was a better alternative?

Old 10-20-2012, 12:10 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Go to tirerack.com or a similar site find a price range you are happy with, then start reading reviews.
That's exactly what I would do. In fact, I even buy wheels/tire sets from them and have them shipped to Alaska, and still save some cash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion