Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 08:00 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,824,124 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A picture of the recall problem.
A picture is worth a thousand words...

Thanks for posting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 08:11 AM

15,461 posts, read 25,904,306 times
Quote:
I wish that picture showed more of the area, or a second pic, but regardless, looks like a poorly; designed pedal to me. What else on that car is poorly designed that we haven''t heard about yet?

Old 10-12-2009, 10:38 AM

4,709 posts, read 12,700,442 times
Isn't it the Federal government that forces recalls? So how could Toyota game the system?

If it weren't for the Feds....Ford, GM, and Chrysler would never have had a single recall in their histories.

Old 10-12-2009, 05:52 PM

15,461 posts, read 25,904,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
Isn't it the Federal government that forces recalls? So how could Toyota game the system?
There are voluntary recalls and "forced" recalls.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:06 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,288,395 times
Quote:

What a dumb design... even a moron would know not to design that... FWIW, I have owned many Toyotas and Lexus and never had one with a floor mat like that, but mine were 1981-2000 models.

Old 10-12-2009, 11:21 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,301,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Buddy it is you who lack common sense. Those tires were factory tires on other SUV's and none of those had any problems with blowouts or rollovers. Ford engineering did a good job hiding the fact that the explorers had a fatal flaw. Thats why they changed the design soon afterward. Your support of Ford has blinded you and you want me to show proof, why not show me proof of your claim?

No it is YOU who lack any common sense on this! Go to the NHSTA 's website, look at the rollovers per 1000 built of all the suv's made, then come back with your misleading idea that the Ford Explorer was bad. It was in FACT the safest SUV on the road per 1000 built!!! 3 times safer than toyotas suv's! But as you refuse to believe the media might have out right LIED, so you can continue to bash Ford while supporting a company such as toyota that knew their suv's flipped more often. The claim is clear on the website, look it up yourself. Besides, I bet if you look it up, you won't be able to prove I am wrong because I know I am right and you are wrong!

Old 10-12-2009, 11:58 PM

890 posts, read 3,709,024 times
I'm not drinking the Kool-Aid Toyota is handing out by the barrel over this unintended acceleration thing. One lady had it happen with her IS250 and she stated that it happened when she toggled the cruise control lever to 'cancel'. As soon as she did that, the car took off at WOT and the 'BRAKE' light on the dashboard was flashing frantically. Her emergency brake was not on which leads me to believe that a massive fault with the drive-by-wire computer is to blame. Anybody who has driven a car with cruise control knows the car can still be accelerated using the pedal so even if the mat bunched against the gas pedal, it wouldn't have waited until she canceled her speed to take off. That right there is the nail in the coffin for the floor mat "theory" (cover-up). She was able to get the car stopped and had it towed to a Lexus dealer. When the technician drove it, the car took off on him as well and she recorded their conversations.

Simply because it's a Toyota, it seems like everybody is just blowing this off. I have a Hyundai and still get people telling me it's a piece of junk even though it's been a great car. I can't help but think if a Sonata took off on its own and killed four people, Hyundai would be ruined, even if they admitted the problem, issued a recall, etc. etc. I can also see Toyota re-flashing drive-by-wire computers when cars come in for service to help skirt a publicity disaster. I know that's some serious conspiracy theory but I can see it happening.

My mom drives a 2002 Lexus RX300 with a mechanical throttle (thank God) but I have told her to flat out refuse any new ES350 (the Extra-Suicidal 350) loaner car the dealer tries to give her. And if they have a problem with that, I won't hesitate to tell them why. Finally, I will no longer be recommending Toyota or Lexus to friends and nobody in our family will ever buy one again.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:17 AM

^^^ Ever is a long time...

What new cars are on your short list?

Old 10-13-2009, 12:24 AM

890 posts, read 3,709,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
^^^ Ever is a long time...

What new cars are on your short list?
Personally? I think my next car will either be a Hyundai Genesis Coupe or an Audi A4 2.0T 6-speed. My '04 Santa Fe is running great so I'm not in any rush to make a serious decision on my next new car purchase. My mom is also looking at Audi; the A5 will likely be her next car.

My dad has an '07 Acura RL with 28k on it. He's going to drive that until he or the car dies, whichever comes first.

Old 10-13-2009, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosecitywanderer View Post
Personally? I think my next car will either be a Hyundai Genesis Coupe or an Audi A4 2.0T 6-speed. My '04 Santa Fe is running great so I'm not in any rush to make a serious decision on my next new car purchase. My mom is also looking at Audi; the A5 will likely be her next car.

My dad has an '07 Acura RL with 28k on it. He's going to drive that until he or the car dies, whichever comes first.
I like driving Audi's and my cousin is a factory trained mechanic... where I am the resale value takes quite a hit... wouldn't matter if you keep the car for a long time...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion