Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2010, 02:55 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,272,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
So, they had to be properly tuned? No big deal.

My '69 Cadillac Fleetwood (with carburetor and points) can sit in the garage for 2 weeks and start up with 15 seconds or less of engine cranking. The engine in my '76 Cadillac Limo is extremely smooth and quiet.

None of my 3 '60s and '70s cars, all of which have carburetors, don't sputter. I don't know where you get that idea that all old cars sputter. In fact, if full-throttle is used from a standing start with my '69 Cadillac, there is instant wheelspin. This is because the carburetor is correctly adjusted.
I never said all old cars sputter. But almost all of today's engines start virtually instantly. They idle ridiculously smoothly. Not all of them run well at higher rpms, but neither did most older engines.

And most of these engines don't need any service but oil changes for 60,000-100,000 miles. Tuning your cars may be no big deal to you - but for most car buyers today they like near zero unscheduled maintenance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2010, 08:10 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,557,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Horrid steering, horrid suspension, horrid brakes, spongy gas pedal, uncomfortable seats, cheap plastic interior, inferior fuel economy, bland, bloated styling, doors weigh an ounce and sound like a tin can when shutting, switches feel like they'll fall off any minute, poorly laid out instrument cluster, horrid stock audio.

My general impression from the 2010 Corolla my brother bought.

Go drive the 2011 Focus when you get the chance. European suspension, legendary fuel economy, plenty of balls for a compact, comfy seats, and when a Ford is loaded to 20 grand, you get a LOT!
I agree about the Corolla.

But when I jump from my 03 SVT Focus into the 2010 Focus, I think the same thing about it as you do the Corolla.

Old 04-21-2010, 08:21 PM

24,529 posts, read 33,416,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I never said all old cars sputter. But almost all of today's engines start virtually instantly.
The engines in my '60s and '70s car start within a reasonable amount of time.

Quote:
They idle ridiculously smoothly
As does the engine in my '76 Limo.

Quote:
Not all of them run well at higher rpms, but neither did most older engines.
Older engines ran fine at high rpms... up to the recommended redline. I used to take my '66 Dart GT V-8 up to 45 mph in 1st gear... never a complaint from the engine.

Quote:
And most of these engines don't need any service but oil changes for 60,000-100,000 miles. Tuning your cars may be no big deal to you - but for most car buyers today they like near zero unscheduled maintenance.
My '66 Plymouth was converted to electronic ignition. My '76 Limo has factory electronic ignition. The spark plugs last a long time. And tune-ups are not required every year, as some people assume. My '69 Cadillac still has the original ignition system (points) but it's driven only about 1,000 miles per year. In the almost 6 years I've owned, the points have only been changed once. It also has not required any work on the brakes since I've owned it.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:48 PM

3,046 posts, read 6,304,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I never said all old cars sputter. But almost all of today's engines start virtually instantly. They idle ridiculously smoothly. Not all of them run well at higher rpms, but neither did most older engines.

I could post 5 pages of real engine spec info to get your answer. But I'll simply say you just do not understand engines. I have so many first hand experiences with new and old cars, and they ALL have exactly the same issues, it's just which part type system they use.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:16 AM

48,493 posts, read 97,096,001 times
The amin thign i see when i drive aroud is that so many of the cars are hard to tell from a camry or acoord . i mean they almost copy them in evry way. Ford does look different in front but kind of ugly with their new ram truck type chrome grills.Face it evry maker is doing what toyota and honda have done wel, for years ;make cars that people want because they are reliable and the dealers shop areas make US brands look 1950s' on their standards.Even nissan does not ahve the standards in shops reas that they do.We have a dealer that sales toyota;ford and nissan and he says toyota has requirement far past the others if you weant to be a dealer.He sales mostly trucks at the Ford dealership and cars at toyota and nissian just different level on pricing and overall quailty.now the family for years.He is now building a hyanda dealership to spread the price factor.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:29 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,557,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
The amin thign i see when i drive aroud is that so many of the cars are hard to tell from a camry or acoord . i mean they almost copy them in evry way. Ford does look different in front but kind of ugly with their new ram truck type chrome grills.Face it evry maker is doing what toyota and honda have done wel, for years ;make cars that people want because they are reliable and the dealers shop areas make US brands look 1950s' on their standards.Even nissan does not ahve the standards in shops reas that they do.We have a dealer that sales toyota;ford and nissan and he says toyota has requirement far past the others if you weant to be a dealer.He sales mostly trucks at the Ford dealership and cars at toyota and nissian just different level on pricing and overall quailty.now the family for years.He is now building a hyanda dealership to spread the price factor.
Translators! We need a translator! Any translators in the house?

Old 07-17-2010, 12:36 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,795,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Translators! We need a translator! Any translators in the house?
You be nice, now!

I can understand perfectly well what texDave wrote, but perhaps that's because I'm a tad bit dyslexic myself...

Old 07-17-2010, 10:24 AM

242 posts, read 597,957 times
The reason why you still see Toyotas around even after the recall is they may be using older models or they just don't care. My dad has a 2005 Toyota Corolla (or earlier? not sure) and its not on the recall list.
It is a good car.
The car he owned before the Toyota was a 90s Saturn. Now that is a bad car. The 1999 Ford van with the wheelchair lift is also pretty bad.
He had the Toyota for 5 years and I think last winter was the first time the battery died. We just got a new battery instead of bothering with that battery after jumping it because that winter was cold.

Old 07-17-2010, 11:56 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,890,386 times
Or they (ie: me) chose a new Toyota this year after comparing it with other vehicles that met my requirements. For the price, the amenities, the 2010 Toyota RAV4 V6 was the best choice. I don't have the problematic floor mats, I don't have the recalled pedal, and I don't believe the unintended acceleration problem, if it really exists beyond those two problems, is widespread enough to be a concern beyond any other modern drive-by-wire car.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:57 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,640,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKUKUK View Post
Horrid steering, horrid suspension, horrid brakes, spongy gas pedal, uncomfortable seats, cheap plastic interior, inferior fuel economy, bland, bloated styling, doors weigh an ounce and sound like a tin can when shutting, switches feel like they'll fall off any minute, poorly laid out instrument cluster, horrid stock audio.

My general impression from the 2010 Corolla my brother bought.

Go drive the 2011 Focus when you get the chance. European suspension, legendary fuel economy, plenty of balls for a compact, comfy seats, and when a Ford is loaded to 20 grand, you get a LOT!
Thats funny, the Corolla I drove for 2 weeks was nothing like that. Suspension was good, seats were comfortable, granted we don't weight 300lbs, but they were comfortable for us. We got 39mpg consitantly, how is that inferior fuel economy? Lets see your focus get that. Sound system was fine, not the best, but good enough ans as for the tin can doors, I didn't get that at all. Your hatred of Toyota clouds your mind just like alot of others on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion