Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2010, 02:32 PM

498 posts, read 1,455,615 times

Advertisements

I couldn't stand to drive a car that everyone else has. My brother has a camry (it was acquired, he didn't choose it), and it seems like the most basic car out there. Just a driving machine, absolutely nothing more. It doesn't drive well on the freeway either. I want a car that I'm not totally indifferent about, I'd prefer one that I actually enjoy being in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2010, 02:47 PM

1,628 posts, read 4,039,693 times
I think many Toyota cars are boring too, but my Tacoma is just right for my needs. I also had a $500 '73 Celica that was bullet proof and kinda fun. My ex's Matrix is reliable, versatile, economical and kinda fun too.

Despite recent troubles Toyotas are known for reliability, no matter what all the Toyota haters on this board say.

Old 04-10-2010, 02:48 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,928,784 times
Hmmmm. Now that I am out of the car thing I have some perspective. To say Toyota's are boring... is to say Honda's and their derivatives (Acura, Lexus, Infinit, etc) are also boring. Newer models from American marques are adopting curvier more European lines and there is a Ford that is a dead ringer for a Passat out there... IOW they are all the same! Why pick on Toyota?

I have observed that all major automaker have a tacit agreement. If one of them makes a hybrid or electric it must be ugly so as not to steal sales from ICE vehicles. The EV1 the Smart Electric and the Honda Insight were some of the ugliest cars to disgrace asphalt. Enter the Prius. To my eyes the lines of a Prius be it the sedan or the hatchback have a slightly futuristic coolness that belies its hybrid nature. For that crime Toyota was punished. That, and the fact that the U.S. investment in GM needs to be recouped and that cannot happen if Toyota stomps GM into the ground with the 3rd generation Prius.

H

Old 04-10-2010, 02:55 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,524,892 times
Back in the day, I would have loved a Celica. The last Celica made was a beauty. True, it was heavy for a cornering tuner car but it did look good. My favorite were the early Celicas. Hard to believe, but at one time there were sporty looking two door hatchback Corollas.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
All my life I have never liked Toyota or found their cars very appealing. I understand mechanical reliability is probably of utmost importance, and up until recently Toyota has been real good at that.

But I have never liked the styling of their cars, I find most of them bland and uninteresting. They are getting better at it, but still all of their cars just scream "boring" to me. The 2010 Camry SE look good though with its more sporty look and alloy rims compared with the normal Camry LE but thats about it

Perhaps its because I am still young and how a car looks is important to me but dont people have any taste or sense of style? Even with all the recall issues I still see Toyotas EVERYWHERE on the roads when I am out driving. I mean dont people have a desire to be different and not boring and gray like Toyota and their cars? Its like watching these convoys of Camries, Corollas, Priuses, and Rav-4's on the road

I own a 2003 Nissan Altima 2.5 S, which even as old as it is, it is still eye-catching to many people. I usually get complements on the chrome tail-lights, among other things. My car looks and runs like brand new because of how I keep it. But I am not biased against Toyota because I drive a Nissan. I have NEVER liked Toyota even long before I bought my car

Does anybody else here not like Toyotas cars, or am I just weird?

Old 04-10-2010, 02:58 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,696,569 times
While I am most definitely not one of the people who believes a car is just an appliance, I can understand those who do. Not everyone gets excited about vehicles, we each have our own passions in life.

What I am seeing more and more is baby boomers, instead of buying vanilla sedans such as a Camry, they're really getting sports cars that they've dreamed about. It seems Toyota doesn't appeal to the newly retired boomers like it has to past generations of retirees. I met a really nice baby boomer the other day who just retired with his wife to Phoenix from Minneapolis and the first thing he did was buy a Corvette ZR1!

Toyota might be facing some tough times especially with Ford starting to compete in that market!

Old 04-10-2010, 03:06 PM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
. Hard to believe, but at one time there were sporty looking two door hatchback Corollas.

Are you referring to this...

Old 04-10-2010, 03:31 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,912,608 times
Well OP, I must say that I will not voluntarily choose to buy a Toyota. We owned one reluctantly back in the 80's and that was one too many for me.

I know there are a lot of fans out there and Toyota is a decent car. I just don't think the brand is all that people hype them up to be.

Old 04-10-2010, 04:44 PM

15,431 posts, read 25,807,497 times
Nope,v never liked Toyota, or Honda. Nissan had a car or two I thought was okay, but never liked the others.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:37 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,859,635 times
Well, let's see.
1. Pump gas run the car over and over
2. Change the oil (go back to step one)
3. 100,000 miles Gota make choice trade on new (great resale value)one or run for another 150,000 miles and junk it.
YEA TOYOTA'S boring and uneventfull, now I've owned a few that were real fun and darn near put me in the streets with repair bills, in fact one vehicle and I was near a certified mechanic by the time it junked up so bad it was left at a junk yard.
Yea, I can't understand why Toyota sales are going threw the freaken roof like they are, isn't there suppose to be a recall on them or somethan?

Old 04-10-2010, 06:17 PM

404 posts, read 1,556,620 times
i've always liked the sportier models. thought the last Celica was a great looking car with decent day to day performance. not a rocket, of course. but something a little exciting in style. and the MR2, Supra, etc

i always respected the Camry but was never too impressed with it over other brands when i have rented a few. the 4Runner used to be nice, too. back in the mid 90's
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Toyota, Lexus, and Scion