Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 12:19 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
We just returned from a road trip and rented a car through Priceline. We rented for two weeks in Albuquerque for $24./day......we thought!!!
After fees were added, it came to over $50/day. Our visa covered for collision but not liability which we had to purchase from National. We live overseas so our auto insurance does not cover us for liability in the states.
Does anyone know a less costly way to obtain liability insurance? We paid $12/day for liability in Alb. and then $24/day for liability in Las Vegas. Our total car rental bill for three weeks came to roughly $1100 including liability insurance and OUTRAGEOUS added fees. Our hotel bills were less!!!
Any suggestions on how to save money next time are welcomed.
wl
You would have saved $200-300 had you taken a cab to the Midtown Hilton and reserved at the Avis there and avoided all the taxes.

Three weeks INCLUDING INSURANCE is a pretty good deal that would be hard to match in most big cities,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2010, 01:41 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times
We were recently in San Francisco for a few days. We wanted to rent a car, just for a day trip out of the city. The rental car company we wanted to use advertised a location in our hotel. It was going to be over $150 for one day for a compact car. By checking around I found another location of the same company a few blocks away and the same car was $75. Searched a little more and found another location another few blocks away and we got a larger car for on $40 a day. By walking about 7 or 8 blocks we were able to save over $110. Amazing.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:26 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
plenty of deals around, I recently rented a car in Ft. Lauderdale, brand new 2010 Nissan Altima fully loaded with smart key access as well... $170 for 4 days, unlimited miles or $42/day. If you rent for the whole week you can get it for significantly cheaper at a weekly rate.

Old 08-12-2010, 02:30 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelotus View Post
Does anyone know a less costly way to obtain liability insurance? We paid $12/day for liability in Alb. and then $24/day for liability in Las Vegas.
you don't need to purchase liability, your regular insurance covers you in the rental car itself...you just got conned into buying it from National.

As for the Visa coverage, it too is supplemental to your primary coverage. It will cover just your deductible...the rest goes through your primary collision insurance as a claim.

I would recommend Advantage rent a car since they have standardized rates for dings/scratches etc and it is reasonable - last time I checked in Hawaii it was $80 for a quarter sized ding, $75 for a inch scratch or something like that. In contrast Enterprise will charge you something like $1000 to fix a ding (they claim to do an entire body job and then charge loss of use fees etc.).. even if Visa covers you most likely you will pay the difference above your deductible out of your pocket since you probably will not want to file a claim for a few hundred dollars.

Old 08-12-2010, 04:44 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
you don't need to purchase liability, your regular insurance covers you in the rental car itself...you just got conned into buying it from National..
Later in the post, Whitelotus said he/she was from overseas and would have no insurance ...

Old 08-12-2010, 10:12 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times
I recently had to rent a car and woo wee, $400 for a week including insurance. Another personal trip I priced out of Denver was $650 for a week, which will probably sink that trip.

Usually my clients rent cars for me, so I never paid attention too much and also in recent times when I have rented personally, it was in Australia and New Zealand and they have different rules down there regarding insurance. I guess I need to double check what coverage my own insurance company provides not to mention my business mastercard.

Old 08-14-2010, 01:50 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,304,911 times
A couple of months ago I went to Nashville. Had I been six weeks older, I would have saved $125. Was futilely hoping they'd give me a break since I was 24 years 10¾ months old at the time, but nope.

It ended up being about a third of the total cost for a five day trip.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:24 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,749,085 times
Quote:
I most recently rented in NYC and while individual sites were showing prices to be over $400 for my time period, I paid $16/day and well under $200 for the entire time.
Please show a link to an agency near JFK or LGA that rents at these rates.

Old 08-15-2010, 12:15 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,305,063 times
I once got a cheap rental car from a Ford dealership. I was flying my small plane into Perry, Fl (40J) and there were no car rental companies in the whole town (nearest was Tallahassee about 55 miles away). A guy had posted a comment on the airnav site talking about how he rented a car from teh local Ford dealership so I called them up and got one pretty cheap-- although I forget the actual price. I wonder if other car dealerships do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel