Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2010, 10:42 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
The head of the nation's most fee-happy airline told Congress today that bringing luggage on vacation was "not essential" to travel and his airline was actually helping the poor fly by charging up to $45 to place a carry-on bag in the overhead bin.

Spirit Airlines CEO Defends Luggage Fees; Tells Congress Bags Are 'Not Essential' For Vacations - ABC News
No problem just wear the same clothing on your back for the entire vacation....how do morons get to be CEOs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2010, 02:37 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
No problem just wear the same clothing on your back for the entire vacation....how do morons get to be CEOs?
If you are traveling to a place for 2-3 days one pair of jeans a few shirts some pairs and socks and underwear what else do you need?? I have traveled many times with just small bag, not everyone travels for over 5 days.
Besides this "moron" CEO runs the most profitable airline in the US!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
Try traveling with babies or young kids with hardly any baggage... Does that mean families must stop flying?
Then that family does not need to fly with Spirit Airlines fly Southwest or American. Its not like every airline in the country is doing this. Come one people. There is NOTHING wrong with the pricing.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:25 PM

274 posts, read 860,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
When I was flying around Europe and flying Vueling most of the time to check in a bag cost a lot of money but over head bin bags were free. However I never had anything larger then a backpack going to cities for 2-4 days. So he is RIGHT! You do not need a bag to travel.

Spirit Airlines has all the right to charge for whatever they want. That is how our economy works if they want to charge a lot for bags so be it dont fly them. However it seems like there rules and charges are working since they are the most profitable airline in the US right now. They offer ultra low prices but your paying for what you paid for a ride to a destination if you want to add luggage etc.. then you have to pay more for it. There is nothing wrong with doing this. If people dont like it dont fly the airline. I hate it and have only flown Spirit twice and will probably never fly them again. But I wont say this is wrong they can do what ever they want with their pricing.
Just because you chose to travel as a minimalist with a back pack does not mean all people do. That's usually reserved for youngsters.

Yup, he sure can charge whatever he wants, and people can fly on whatever airline they want to. Sorry, but you DO NEED luggage to travel.

Old 07-17-2010, 12:44 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
The OP's post is incredibly misleading. What the CEO stated was that bags aren't essential to air service in that taxes should be paid on them.

Taxes from airline tickets go into a general trust fund from which ATC and airport improvement money is handed out via the FAA. It is the airlines viewpoint that fees from things such as luggage and meals are not part of ensuring ATC service and runway retrofits. This is because they do their own ground handling, not the government, and supply the food, not the government. It is an attempt to save taxes and therefore pass on the savings to their passengers.

Don't get riled up about this.

Old 07-17-2010, 02:39 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post
Just because you chose to travel as a minimalist with a back pack does not mean all people do. That's usually reserved for youngsters.
I am 55 years old and still use a backpack. It's not that big a deal.
Quote:
Yup, he sure can charge whatever he wants, and people can fly on whatever airline they want to. Sorry, but you DO NEED luggage to travel.
Need, or want?
I understand that there are all kinds of travelers, such as parents with young children, people in wheelchairs, people who are moving from one state or even country to another, etc etc. I understand that flying is not the same thing as taking a bus across town. Not everyone is going to backpack, but the times they are a'changin' in the air travel world, and the less stuff a person brings, the easier it's going to be.

I have to say that I do not have a big problem with Spirit using seats that do not recline. But once again, the way they present it, ("Pre-Reclined") sounds so bogus, and their seat pitch, at 28 inches, is awfully tight. link

It will be interesting to see what happens in terms of airlines that choose to continue bundling fees, such as Southwest, and the airlines that charge this and that fee for this and that service.
Will one practice prevail, or will the two strategies coexist?

Old 07-17-2010, 03:40 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
Well Southwest was the original "un-bundleler". They did away with first class, choice seating, meals, etc.

SWA has introduced some fees, mostly for boarding priority.

Old 07-17-2010, 04:59 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobb View Post

You just said it yourself I chose to travel sometimes with little luggage so obviously you dont "NEED" luggage to travel. Many people dont when your flying some place for buisness for 1-2 days or just visiting a friend in a city for a weekend no one should need to take much. They might WANT to take luggage but its not a NEED thing and if they feel like the need it they pay. Your logic is off a bit.

Old 07-18-2010, 03:42 AM

401 posts, read 479,770 times
The CEO's comments ensure I won't be flying Spirit. Unless you're flying on a short trip, you are going to need to take some luggage. Also, I've found when I take a major i.e. 2 week tour some where, I'll need to take a spare second bag to be able to carry the stuff I bought on the trip and stay under the 50 pound bag weight limit. I'm not thrilled they charge me for the 2nd bag now.

Old 07-18-2010, 04:36 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Well Southwest was the original "un-bundleler". They did away with first class, choice seating, meals, etc.

SWA has introduced some fees, mostly for boarding priority.
Very good point!
I'm sure they've had financial struggles of their own, but Southwest always seems to be forward-thinking.
The things they have done away with and the things that they keep seem sensible. It appears that the people steering that company have made smart decisions, kept costs low, and appear to be good employers, also more customer-friendly.
When it comes to public relations, SWA seems very savvy.

Wheelsup, I think you're right that this carry-on charge thing might be a tempest in a teapot, and perhaps the media has fanned those flames.

I understand that the bottom line is profit--but the customer is not unreasonable for wanting a straightforward ticket purchase and a halfway comfortable travel experience.

I wonder if either SWA or Spirit ever think about international routes.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:16 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
I flew spirit and didn't have any complaints.. but thats because I had such a cheap flight. I did think it was odd that an international flight didnt even serve a dinner though haha. I was treated well and the flight attendants knew i was hungry and brought me extra food. Very comfortable seats in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel