Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 08:03 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,673,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
It always surprises me how few African Americans are interested in going to Africa. I didn't meet a single one when I was traveling there, and I've only met one here in America who had ever been there.
Liberia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 08:22 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,061,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Sadly, the American media has seriously overstated the danger of traveling abroad.

I can only wish that America were as safe to travel in as Colombia or Vietnam.
Martha & Fred, from central Georgia, make their 10th trip to Disney World.
They came prepared. Each have a permit to carry a gun, they also carry Mace.

But somewhere along the way, at a stop light, they must have been too distracted with the exciting scenery, and it happened: they were carjacked. Too stunned, not quick with enough with the guns or mace. It didn't help matters that they had just stopped at a McDonald's, trying to juggle eating their burgers, fries and milkshakes while driving.

The car disappeared, with their luggage, guns and mace.

Martha breaks down crying like a baby!

Fred: Oh Martha, stop that! Give thanks to the Lord that I didn't listen to my world traveling buddy who had urged me to go to Chile, Colombia or Argentina to see the Andes mountains!

If we had gone down there, we could have been carjacked within a mile of the Airport, we couldn't have been kidnapped and held hostage, we could have been mugged every single day we were down there or killed by stray bullets!

Cheer up, Martha! If the police don't find the culprit and our car before it goes to a chop shop, we'll just buy a new one and more powerful guns.
Nothing, nothing is going to stop us from making our annual trip to Disney World!

Last edited by tijlover; 10-03-2010 at 08:25 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-04-2010, 04:43 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,543,102 times
Well count me into one of those who are "copping out"
If my finances and time make me choose where I go, I'm going to choose a section of my own country that I haven't explored yet as opposed to going to see someone else's country.

But guess what?? That doesn't mean I (and millions of others) have no desire to see other countries. We just have different travel priorities.

Why all this emotion and judgements on where and if other people want to travel?

And guess what else?? I have a valid passport that's been used at least once a year since I've had it.

Old 10-04-2010, 04:59 PM

720 posts, read 3,007,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
If my finances and time make me choose where I go, I'm going to choose a section of my own country that I haven't explored yet as opposed to going to see someone else's country.

But guess what?? That doesn't mean I (and millions of others) have no desire to see other countries. We just have different travel priorities.

Why all this emotion and judgements on where and if other people want to travel?

And guess what else?? I have a valid passport that's been used at least once a year since I've had it.
Good point, I was the one who said I had no desire to see Europe and someone jumped on me.

I used to think I wanted to travel the world. I remember traveling to Canada once which is probably as close to the US as you can get outside of the US and I remember thinking I don't like this, boy I got it good back home.

I do travel to Jamaica 2-3 times a year and I love it but even then its a good feeling to be back home. We live in a great country, when I go to Jamaica and come back I'm reminded of how lucky we are to have the freedoms and protections we have.

I know some people love to travel, see crazy places, say its life changing and good for you if you like it but dont attack others who dont want to.

Also, Jamaica, not the Jamaica of all inclusive resorts but real jamaica is kind of an off the beaten path kind of place but I always have in the back of my mind episodes of locked up abroad. Also, recommend everyone who travels/lives abroad read the book "Gringo Nightmare."

Old 10-04-2010, 08:40 PM

23,223 posts, read 29,061,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
We live in a great country, when I go to Jamaica and come back I'm reminded of how lucky we are to have the freedoms and protections we have.
You've got it! This is what so many who shun foreign travel are missing:
reappreciation of their own country.

And if you ended up having a bad trip, you'll reappreciate your country even more.

When I returned from a bad trip one time, I kissed the ground of my country repeatedly after I got back. I wouldn't have done that otherwise.

In retrospect, I've valued the good trips as well as the forgettable trips.

Old 10-04-2010, 08:46 PM

16,394 posts, read 30,296,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
In my household, we take three week-long vacations and 5-8 extended weekend trips. We prefer to travel domestically as it is an absolute steal.

I have a LOT more fun visiting unusual destinations and meeting people who most would only see in a Charles Keralt photo essay. Or stopping at a small college in Michigan that houses a collection of Nazi era propaganda. Or taking a 30s era Union Pacific dome car on a train through SE Wyoming. Or walking through the Ruby Marshes, the most remote of the US Forest Service sites in the lower 48.

Old 10-05-2010, 09:41 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,935,082 times
Vegas, Jamaica, Much of Africa, Sweden/Norway/Finland, LA, Miami

Old 10-06-2010, 02:32 PM

758 posts, read 1,640,678 times
I never really had much desire to visit Hawaii. Long flight, I didn't consider myself a beach person, I much prefer 60 degrees to 80 degrees....but my family lives on Oahu so my hubby and I went for a visit for the first time and WE LOVED IT! Maybe it isn't the "real hawaii" or is too touristy or whatever. Didn't matter. Loved it.

So I don't think I'd ever really rule any place out (though I have to admit I was glad that the in-law side family vacation to Branson last year got cancelled *shudder* and I was happy that the HI trip gave us a chance to skip the Ozarks vacation this year), but money is always a limiting factor, so it's probably a moot point.

Least interested in seeing:
-India
-Iraq
-Afghanistan
-Iran
-Israel

But if I had infinite time and money I would travel EVERYWHERE.

Old 10-08-2010, 12:27 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,914,446 times
Las Vegas. I have been to Atlantic City many times and that place is ridiculous enough, with people gambling 24/7, eating those ridiculous breakfast buffets, and drinking. I suppose Las Vegas is like AC on steroids, and without the Boardwalk. I can understand why someone who loves to drive all the time would not want to be in NYC, it is not conducive to that.

Old 10-09-2010, 03:56 AM

15 posts, read 23,730 times
Aha,I like to travel too.And I had been told that Guilin is a great tourism attract not only in China but also in the world.I think it's worth to travel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel