Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 01:09 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,546,251 times

Advertisements

I have NO desire to go to Mexico or Detroit. I would love to visit London and Florence Italy. There is so much 'history' there. The all inclusive type vacation has no appeal for me and that is why I will most likely never go on a cruise. My trip to Sedona AZ and the Grand Canyon is wonderful memory. The scenery is breathtaking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 02:50 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,166,395 times
India.

John, Paul, George AND Ringo themselves could have invited me along to visit the Maharishi and I'd have said, "Have a nice time. We'll jam when you get back."

Old 09-30-2010, 03:40 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,126,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
India.

John, Paul, George AND Ringo themselves could have invited me along to visit the Maharishi and I'd have said, "Have a nice time. We'll jam when you get back."
Now see? That is one of the most wonderful things about this forum. The way that people who are completely different can get together and talk!

The one place that I would love to visit more than ANYWHERE is India! lol

Ain't life grand?

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-30-2010, 03:47 PM

3,849 posts, read 9,422,275 times
I'd rather die than go anywhere hot (Jamaica, Mexico, Miami, etc.). I live in the heat 24/7/365, so noooooooo thanks

A vacation to Alaska in the dead of winter is my ideal getaway!

Old 09-30-2010, 09:45 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,672,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
For those that have no desire to travel to Las Vegas, how about a short 35 mile car trip to Mt. Charleston Lodge at 7700 feet in summer time. Put your hiking shoes on, and up you go to the Meadows at 11,000 feet and look west with an overview of the entire Sierra Mountain range and Death Valley. Or climb from the Meadows to the top of Mt. Charleston at 11,918 and look south to Mexico, west to CA, east to Utah and Arizona, and look down to the city.

You can even stay up there at the Hotel/Lodge. Skip the Strip entirely! Will add a whole new dimension to your trip out here!
Didn't know there was a Lodge up there.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
I have no interest in seeing Las Vegas. The only reason I'd fly there would be to rent a car and drive out of town very very quickly to get somewhere else. Otherwise I can't think of a single country I wouldn't want to visit.
I had to go there for work once.

It was what I expected. Hot, dry, lots of street people, cops making arrests, people up at 530 AM bleary eyed still at the tables, flashing lights, faux touristy stuff, etc.

I give credit to the Vegas people though. They know basic human emotions and have it down pat how to play them like a fiddle.

Old 09-30-2010, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
As exotic and fascinating as the central Asian ex-Soviet republics sound, I've heard that they are dreadful places to visit. Devoid of scenery, cities made entirely of concrete, heavily bureaucratic and brutal hospitality. But I'd still never turn down a chance to go and see for myself.
Depends. I read a lot of blogs about adventure motorcycling trips to the area and have seen hundreds if not thousands of photos recently. Some parts are still very undeveloped and rough. But a lot of the cities like Almaty and Astana and the capital of Turkmenistan are very modern and wealthy in some spots.

Kyrgyzstan has some stunning scenery. Tajikistan the same. Eastern Kazakhstan also quite nice.

Uzbekistan from what i have seen only has a few highlights and there are not many fans of that country. Western Kazakhstan is also not worth going to.

Probably the one place nearby I really like and can't wait to visit is the Russian Altai mountains. The Altai mountains are also shared by Kazakhstan, China and Mongolia.

Old 09-30-2010, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
That's interesting. My mother and a friend went on a trip touring around S Africa last year and really had no problems at all. Another friend of mine is actually from there (lived here 20+ years) and goes back to visit her family every couple of years. She's from Durban which she says is comparatively quiet and safe altho Jo'burg does have issues. I don't know enough about Cape Town to comment.
I've been reading some reports lately from trips to Zim and also South Africa.

Of the people that have been to Zimbabwe, it seems to be getting better there. Of the recent trip report I read, they didn't ride at night and also prebooked at hotels of which there are some of decent quality around.

South Africa, the same, but better know what places to avoid and probably not a wise idea to be out at night too much.

Namibia seems like a place worth seeing.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:28 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,373,595 times
Bermuda, a tiny flat island out all by itself. Doesn't seem too appealing to me, but I guess there must be something to attract so many people but I think I'll pass, unless it's a free trip.

Mexico. I just don't want to go someplace where I will fear for my safety. Violence sucks.

Old 10-01-2010, 03:25 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,647,809 times
I'm not a person who travels. Had more than enough of it when I was in the Navy.

Someone wrote me the other day and said if I'm ever in Idaho...oh, yeah, I chuckled at that one. But it's not that far from Yellowstone. Is that the one with Old Faithful. or is that in Yosemite? Well, either way, I've seen it so often on TV that I don't have to go personally, and I feel that way about most places in the world. I can see pictures, or video, from that place, and never need to actually visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel