Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2010, 11:15 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times

Advertisements

I haven't made a foreign flight in decades, but we're headed out in the morning. It'll be three legs. The first one from Wyoming to Denver, then Denver to Houston and finally Houston to Cancun.

My son says we should be at our first flight three hours ahead of time for check-in, because it's considered a foreign flight. My wife says it's domestic, because the first leg is only to Denver. Who's right?

Also, does EVERYONE have to remove their shoes going through security or just some? Wife says I should just wear my clogs so I don't have to mess with tying my shoes. Silly, but I just wondered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 11:20 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,532,927 times
The security check for a foreign flight takes the same amount of time as it does for a domestic one.

Yes, you'll have to take off your shoes.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:25 PM

Thank you. I don't doubt that security checks take the same amount of time, but the travel info that we got says we should check-in three hours before departure time for foreign flights and 90 minutes before for domestic flights.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:31 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,684,013 times
A foreign flight is when the aircraft and you are departing from a point and will terminate in a foreign country. Work backwards. At what point do you stop changing planes where the final destination is Cancun? If it's Houston, thats a foreign flight. If Denver (Houston same flight you don't change planes), that's the start of the foreign flight.

Old 10-05-2010, 11:39 PM

All three legs are on different planes. Luggage will be checked through from Wyoming to Cancun, however, and we'll only go through security once -- in Wyoming.

Old 10-06-2010, 12:56 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
Well first its called an international flight
Second you can show up to your first flight about 90minutes beofore departure time. Security and checking in is just about the same except when you check in they ask to see your pasport. As long as its a legal connection (you bought the ticket with one airline) Just make sure the ticket agent checks your bags all the way through Cancun and gives you all three boarding passes.
Enjoy your trip!

Old 10-12-2010, 09:25 PM

Thanks everyone. We're home again.

International flight it is.

I asked the gal at the ticket counter in Wyoming if this was considered an "international flight". She said no, but it was considered an international check-in.

We planned to get there about 2.5 hours before scheduled departure but overslept and got there 2 hours before. We were still the first ones through, and then the plane was about an hour late leaving.

That put us into Denver late, and we had to run to catch the next flight. They were actually calling our names on the speakers as we were running down the corridor! So they didn't check our passports, and that showed later in Houston as we tried to board. We were held back a bit, which meant we were the last ones on the plane for the second flight in a row.

Incidentally, our destination was Dream's Riviera Maya Resort a few miles south of Cancun. We truly loved it. The beach, accommodations and food were first class, but what really surprised us was how friendly and helpful the staff was. No matter whether it was a repairman we met on the boardwalk, a busboy in an elevator or a waitress after we'd knocked a drink on the floor and left broken glass and bloodymary splattered, EVERYONE was smiling and gave us friendly greetings. I'd recommend it to anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel