Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 02:38 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,044,756 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mels View Post
What happens at airports now is what many refer to as "security theater." It's a whole lot of show and it isn't keeping anyone any safer. Only 20% of airline cargo is screened. Sure you feel safer that you and your fellow passengers were scanned, patted down, etc. but you are literally sitting on god knows what. Clearly terrorists will use the cargo angle in the future as it is an enormous weak spot in airline security.

The TSA gave up on the "puffers" for detecting explosives which I think they should have fine tuned. Also, my suggestion would be to use more dogs. I usually only see one or two in airports (usually more in customs area). Dogs have a much better success rate of sniffing out explosives, drugs, etc. than a human looking at an image and cost infinitely less than the scanners (also Michael Chertoff doesn't gain financially if you use dogs vs scanners ). Even with the new pat downs, there is still the, er..., human cavity that isn't looked at. And let's hope TSA doesn't go there next! I say bring on the dogs. Let them roam with their handlers from security line to security line. If they detect someone has something, then pull that person over for additional, more invasive screening.

All xrays give off radiation, health risks are determined by what level and how frequently you are subjected to said radiation. You say the low level is safe, I say it isn't. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one!
I never thought of dogs! That sounds like a great solution to me.

Who hasn't been sniffed up by a dog?

Most children would love to see and pet a dog. Those that are scared of dogs could go through one of the other methods, but most would get a kick out of it.

Dogs would totally take the molestation angle out of the situation too.

Having dogs around is usually a great tension reliever.........something that is sorely needed in airports these days.

Excellent idea!

Last edited by Annie53; 11-19-2010 at 03:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2010, 02:58 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,288,802 times
I can't link cause I'm on my iPhone but I just read an article where a woman in I believe NC was forced to remove her breast prosthesis because they didn't believe she was a breast cancer survivor. I can't even imagine. They made her strip, in addition to the scanner and pat down.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I can't link cause I'm on my iPhone but I just read an article where a woman in I believe NC was forced to remove her breast prosthesis because they didn't believe she was a breast cancer survivor. I can't even imagine. They made her strip, in addition to the scanner and pat down.

That is just so sad, how humiliating. As Mels suggested.......wouldn't a dog have been a better option?

Old 11-19-2010, 03:20 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,206 times
Ok folks, I have to make a comment. Mels, thank you for being the voice of reason. Slackjaw...well, I have to disagree with you.

As to the radiation issue, here is my take on it. I go through security at airports AT LEAST 7-12 times a week. I have screws in my shoulder as a result of an on the job injury. That means I must have further screening every time I go through security. I elect to NOT go through the backscatter machine. Why? Even the smallest amount of radiation, in my opinion, is too much. Remember, radiation exposure causes a CUMULATIVE collection of radiation in the body. And YES, you ARE exposed to radiation every time you go through it. So, having to be exposed over and over and over again is simply not safe. You can think it is, go for it, but I do not.

So....that leaves me with the sexual molestation that is now taking place. Yes, sexual molestation. I have endured that over and over again in the 3 weeks since this insanity began. It is humiliating, depressing and assaulting. For those who seldom fly, good for you. You may only have to be sexually groped once or twice a year, if that. Me? many, many times a week. The irony of this whole thing is, ground staff and restaurant workers, etc DO NOT GO THROUGH ANY SCREENING, FOLKS. They have a pass through. Now I ask you...is THAT safe?????? Many of them are not even US born.

Also, I have been reading that TSA is considering allowing Muslim women who object to being groped to be exempt from the very assault that the rest of us must endure. Does THAT make you feel safe? Gosh, I hope so (yeah, sarcasm)

For those who somehow think that all this nonsense is making you safe when boarding a plane...I think you are wrong. But go ahead....stick your head in the sand a little deeper.

Yes, i am very angry about this new TSA molestation.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:54 PM

FlightAttendant.............do you think the dogs would be a good idea? Are there reasons the dog idea wouldn't work?

Really interested in hearing your take on it.

TIA

Old 11-19-2010, 03:58 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Well pilots are now (mostly) off the hook:
U.S. pilots to get speedier screening procedures - CNN.com

According to CNN, 80% of Americans are in favor of enhanced screening techniques.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:20 PM

Yeah, lets protect the pilots. Hint: there are TWO of them, there are 3-10 Flight Attendants on every flight. Go figure. I have called my Union. Stay tuned.

Yes, I welcome dogs.

Old 11-19-2010, 04:23 PM

I am laughing. Yes, 80% of people agree with the new screening. My guess is that maybe 5 % of them have to be sexually molested. I have to every time I go to the airport. So, when you get on my flight, I hope that you are not all upset at having your vagina felt up. I am probably going to be pretty upset. I do all in my power to keep a cool exterior with my innocent passengers, yet....its just not right.

Reminder: I have a 10 year background check, security clearance, badge, uniform, etc....do you? Oh, and once on the plane, the TSA expects me to be their eyes and ears for..what??? TERRORISTS

Old 11-19-2010, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
That is just so sad, how humiliating. As Mels suggested.......wouldn't a dog have been a better option?
So it appears she declined the scanner, due to radiation concerns esp. since she just survived breast cancer and was probably exposed to enough of it to last 12 lifetimes. Here is the story:

TSA forces cancer survivor to show prosthesis - Travel - News - msnbc.com

Old 11-19-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post

According to CNN, 80% of Americans are in favor of enhanced screening techniques.
I'm willing to bet those 80% are not frequent fliers and go on maybe one plane trip every couple of years. I'm on the plane several times a month, as is my husband. We both are against this and we are the ones at risk or this perceived danger, not the ones sitting at home in front of their televisions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel