Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2011, 12:34 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,190,905 times

Advertisements

I was wondering if there were any major cities I can stay the night to take a break from a flight from Copenhagen. I would be traveling with a 2 year old and going from Copenhagen to Miami. Also included in this itinerary would be a 2 hour train ride just to get to the Copenhagen airport.

My first thought was stopping in Reykjavík, Iceland. That would mean a 3 hour plane ride from Copenhagen to Reykjavík. Then 6 hours to NYC where we would probably make a stop to visit relatives. The price is reasonable for these locations. Are there any other options? I was hoping on stopping somewhere in the middle (timewise) but I do not think geography or markets would allow this.

I do feel like I am making unnecessary stops just out of fear that I can't handle 20 straight hours of travel time with my toddler. Maybe I am not ready to do this trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 03:02 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,473,128 times
I think Reykjavik is a great idea - go for it

Old 01-14-2011, 04:04 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times
it sounds pretty cool, but this is definitely going to put MORE work for you in traveling, this will not be making anything easier. So make sure you are doing this for the right reasons.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
it sounds pretty cool, but this is definitely going to put MORE work for you in traveling, this will not be making anything easier. So make sure you are doing this for the right reasons.
I thought so, too, only because it would mean having to spend more time leaving and going back to the airport.

My concern was about having to spend 10 hours on a plane ride with a toddler during waking hours. I can handle Miami to Europe since that occurs during sleeping hours but the trip back will be tough. I traveled with her when she was 7 months old and she did not sleep the whole way back.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:58 PM

8,394 posts, read 3,488,671 times
I travelled long distances quite frequently when my daughter was a baby/toddler (usually from Australia to UK and back again) I found it easier NOT to break the journey unnecessarily. Messing about within airports and going to and from airports was infinitely harder than just dealing with her in the air. We had the odd sleepless flight... but just because your 7-month old didn't sleep, doesn't necessarily mean she won't now. Good luck!

Old 01-15-2011, 07:22 AM

209 posts, read 680,129 times
Is three hours really worth the extra money/time spent on the road?

Granted, Reykjavík would be a great place to visit. I had a flight connection with a pretty decent layover there many years ago and am very happy to be able to boast that I not only saw such a beautiful country first-hand but also got an opportunity to swim in one of the hot springs during mid-winter.

That being said, you're still looking at 14-15 hours of travel even if you do stop off. You might want to consider an evening and night in NY if you really want to split up the travel time.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
I travelled long distances quite frequently when my daughter was a baby/toddler (usually from Australia to UK and back again) I found it easier NOT to break the journey unnecessarily. Messing about within airports and going to and from airports was infinitely harder than just dealing with her in the air. We had the odd sleepless flight... but just because your 7-month old didn't sleep, doesn't necessarily mean she won't now. Good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrVanNostrand View Post
Is three hours really worth the extra money/time spent on the road?

Granted, Reykjavík would be a great place to visit. I had a flight connection with a pretty decent layover there many years ago and am very happy to be able to boast that I not only saw such a beautiful country first-hand but also got an opportunity to swim in one of the hot springs during mid-winter.

That being said, you're still looking at 14-15 hours of travel even if you do stop off. You might want to consider an evening and night in NY if you really want to split up the travel time.
Thank you for your input. I do believe a stop in NYC is best though I was hoping to stop in Boston but they no longer have direct flights. Sigh. I really dread traveling but her grandparents (my in-laws) are old and they wish to see her and she asks to see them everyday on the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel