Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 02:33 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,453,976 times

Advertisements

South Range, you did an outstanding job describing the PSU and the oxygen system. Thanks for spreading the info.

If you are a nervous flyer, I suggest you take a flight attendant aside and mention it to themwhile boarding. We go out of our way to be sure you are seated in the seats that would give you the least feeling of claustrophobia. Also, I often have the nervous flyers watch me during take off and landing. They will see that since I am not looking worried or concerned, they know that things are going as they should.

I do NOT recommend taking a lot of meds or alcohol. These can really cause you trouble. Sometimes altitude magnifies the effects of these things and you can really end up in a panic.

Do try to remember that flying is still the safest means of travel. Every day thousands of flights fly without a hitch. Can't say the same thing about cars!! Welcome aboard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 02:56 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
I am affected by mild claustrophobia. And it seems to be getting worse at I get older. Can anyone recommend what to do for this? Anyone else have this problem?
I have not mentioned this to a doctor because I am afraid of being diagnosed with mental illness and who knows what the insurance would do when they find out about that.
I am not afraid to fly - have flown before - but the thought of getting into a closed up airplane these days gives me the willies. I am afraid of freaking out.
Anyone have tips? thanks.
fly 1st class

Old 07-12-2010, 02:59 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,679,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
fly 1st class
I agree completely. 1st class feels "normal" while coach class isn't due to the cramped room.

Somethings in life are worth paying for and after getting an upgrade to 1st class from a friend, if it's offered now cross country I'm taking it.

Old 07-12-2010, 06:40 PM

3,037 posts, read 5,930,339 times
I was terrified of flying until someone suggested it'd be safer to attempt it in a plane.

If you can't do the first/business class thing, I'd second what Moosketeer said and just...forget about it. I used to freak on takeoff whenever the plane banked a bit. I started reading prior to takeoff and never looked out of the window once until we'd reached cruising.

It does get so you think about it on the long-haul flights (I'm talking 13 hours plus), but you should be okay on the cross country U.S flights. A good, engrossing book is your best medicine, with maybe a natural relaxant. I take a small bottle of lavender oil, and add a few drops to one of those facial cleasning wipes, dabbing on my wrists and temples. I also study the flight attendants face if I think something is 'off'. I don't know how they do it, but I admire their po-faced calm every time!

Old 07-13-2010, 08:55 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,405,498 times
Pay for 1st class. there's only 2 larger seats next to each other as opposed to 3 smaller seats in coach. you can pull the shade down and relax or read a good book.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:45 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,306,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nan5623 View Post
Pay for 1st class.
It must be nice to have so much money that that is an option. For most people it isn't. First class usually costs between 10x to 12x coach (cattle) class. A typicla flight to China is over $10,000. I can fly coach and vacation for four weeks and still only pay half of that.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:51 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
It must be nice to have so much money that that is an option. For most people it isn't. First class usually costs between 10x to 12x coach (cattle) class. A typicla flight to China is over $10,000. I can fly coach and vacation for four weeks and still only pay half of that.
Agreed. I fly regularly and the only time I sit in first is when I get an upgrade or use FF miles to buy a FC seat. One thing that many people do is to buy the entire row (or an extra seat) in coach to give themselves more room at a (relatively) reasonable rate on longer flights.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:04 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,064,596 times
Last time we flew (MSP-LAX) 1st class was about $700 more than coach. Saved about $200 in baggage (x3) charges so the $500 dollar difference didn't seem like too much considering it allows my wife to enjoy the flight when in the past she was so stressed out leading up to, and during the flights it would restrict our opportunities to vacation. Also, nice having those front-of-the-line privileges at check-in, security scanners and boarding gates. Probably wouldn't pay the extra on my own but it's nice to have my wife along on vacation with me.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,876 times
Don't fly on the CRJ airplanes. There are five models and many airlines now use them for short hops and to get to smaller airports. They are shaped like a long, slim cigar and are not for the claustrophobic. Don't bother even trying.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:25 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
I am affected by mild claustrophobia. And it seems to be getting worse at I get older. Can anyone recommend what to do for this? Anyone else have this problem?
I have not mentioned this to a doctor because I am afraid of being diagnosed with mental illness and who knows what the insurance would do when they find out about that.
I am not afraid to fly - have flown before - but the thought of getting into a closed up airplane these days gives me the willies. I am afraid of freaking out.
Anyone have tips? thanks.
I am mildly Claustrophobia but have no problems in airplanes really.I say if its the space then you have it pretty badly.I wander how you ride in a car at all really if its truely the space not another problem like confined with alot of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel