Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 01:36 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I haven't camped in Europe in many years but I am sure there is no problem there. For most of the cities and especially Venice and Paris, I would recommend camping outside of them but close to public transport and using that for your visit. That way, you don't have to worry about congestion or finding and paying for parking. At worst, you will have to park at a train station or close to a bus stop. Parking in some of the cities is outrageously expensive .... especially Zurich and I know that from grim experience. With regard to Paris, I would look to camp in the Versailles area which is worth a visit in itself and is also close to the RER into Paris.

I am not sure I would bother too much with Marseille or Milan. Rather, visit Aix en Provence and the Como area which, in my view, are more attractive. Same might be true of Stuttgart. All three are fairly industrial.

Also, get yourself a Sat-Nav with points of interest. That will help you locate camping grounds.
I camped just outside of Venice last fall. The bus is outside of the campsite and it was great.
There's a car camping area and a "camper" area; they're separate (thank goodness).

There are always campsites near public transport.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 12:04 PM

11 posts, read 55,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
Naples and Sicily are the most manic and typically Italian places, but a long drive down south and I would NOT drive there anyway if you know what I mean There really are so many places worth visiting. The whole of the Amalfi coast is beautiful, but the east coast south of Rimini is less full of foreign tourists. Aside from the obvious Rome, Florence and Venice, which are worth visiting but exactly as you've seen them in pictures and very full of tourists in summer. Pisa is nice, and there is more to it than just the tower. Most of Tuscany and Umbria is beautiful countryside and historical towns, but you won't have any of them to yourselves in summer. There's a great hike between five cliffside villages in Liguria called the Cinque Terre (see the photos below), lakes like Como, Garda, the Dolomite mountains in Alto Adige (which is in Italy, but feels/looks/sounds like it's in Austria, because it used to be). Honestly, there is much more than you'll be able to see in four weeks.
haha, i don't think we'll be going that far south.
I wish we had a year to just travel around these places alone to be honest! we'll have to work out what budget we have and how long we could realistically go for. That's the only downside of seeing Italy in the summer - all the tourists. can't really moan though since we'd be one of them . I'll have a look at the places you mentioned. You've got some amazing pictures of Italy! certaintly makes me even more excited about the prospect of visiting Italy.
Thanks

Old 02-08-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I camped just outside of Venice last fall. The bus is outside of the campsite and it was great.
There's a car camping area and a "camper" area; they're separate (thank goodness).

There are always campsites near public transport.
oooo, do you happen to remember what the campsite was called?

Old 02-08-2011, 12:43 PM

Just google campgrounds near venice italy.
I don't remember and haven't filed my travel junk for the last year... I'll let you know if I find it.

Campgrounds on mainland have decent bathrooms and some have cheap bungalows if you want to stand up for a change or if it's raining. They almost all have laundry and restaurants, too.

I'm getting ready for a trip to Madrid but will see what I can find.

If you make it Berchtesgaden, Germany (and I hope that you do), there's a great campsite by the McDonalds and a lake.

Take a navi, even if you have to borrow one.
It will save you hours upon hours.

Old 02-08-2011, 03:19 PM

i'll have a gooogle

Old 02-10-2011, 02:45 PM

sarah, if you use a navi, you can ask for campgrounds, etc in the area. It's not the best, but if you have nothing else selected, it's better than nothing.

TomTom will send you to markets, parking garages, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel