Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 08:25 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,927,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by durf View Post
Jaggy01, John Pizzaria's pizza is very bland and boring. They overcooked the pizza with sour tomato sauce. I prefer Angeleno's, which I think it's the best in NY. I'm not impressed with Ray's or Raybarry's. Lombardi's souce is also sour. The best pizza I've ever had is in Phoenix(Bianca Pizzeria). However, you can get the same pizza like NY in Seattle and Denver. San Jose also has Slice Of New York, which is identical to New York.
You are just a whole bundle of joy when it comes to NYC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 09:23 AM

9,444 posts, read 17,387,283 times
Quote:
Chava61, I wish that was true, but it's not. Try to hang out in the alley for a while, and you'll get mugged or hurt. Walk around 2am on 7 ave, you'll most likely be a victim of a crime. There are alot of thugs in Manhattan. It's just not as bad or advertised as the 1970's and 80's. I was there then and now as a visitor or briefly living there. It's still bad, and I wish it wasn't. Hey, the city is dirty with garbage bags piling up just about every night. It's just branded as safe and improved city, but beneath it, it's still bad but not as bad as it was in the past. It could change in a hurry, and maybe it already has.
Oh what a load of crap. I have worked in the city for so many years and had to leave work at all kinds of the hours (on 7th Avenue, btw, fashion district). Never have been mugged, never felt threatened. I'm not saying that it's all peachy, but you are making it look much much worse than it really is. Where exactly are you hanging out?
Although I do have to agree, the city is not clean.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:00 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times
I just got back from New York about 2 weeks ago and loved it, although I have to admit your itinerary seems jam packed and very hard to fit in. Regardless, you're going to enjoy your time!

Old 03-07-2011, 06:59 PM

49 posts, read 78,059 times
I enjoyed my time in NYC last october. I was like a dream came true.
Definitely dont miss 42nd street. Just walking down that street is thrilling.And also Empire state building was a great experience. I took so many panoramic pictures. Staton Island Ferry ride was also one of the best thing to do over there. Its free and you can take a close look of Statue of liberty and downtown manhattan.
And so many other tourist thing... you made a great itinerary! Have fun and just be a lame tourist! I loved that role

Old 03-09-2011, 07:55 AM

27,350 posts, read 27,402,913 times
Im not a real big fan of NYC and probably could handle a day or two tops there, though its probably real nice for most. My daughter went there with her husband about a year ago and loved it though.

Old 03-09-2011, 03:57 PM

1,092 posts, read 2,173,541 times
It's boring to alot of people. Once you've seen the city in 45 mins, you've pretty much had enough. What's there for us other than theaters, parks, shopping, museums and galleries? Boring and picky nightclub/bars?

Old 03-09-2011, 05:49 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times
Quote:
It's boring to alot of people. Once you've seen the city in 45 mins, you've pretty much had enough. What's there for us other than theaters, parks, shopping, museums and galleries? Boring and picky nightclub/bars?
If thats true, then it takes 5 minutes for any other city?

Old 03-10-2011, 02:06 PM

I spent two years working in Southern California and ten years in the New York area. I don't miss living in New York but love visiting it. There is simply so much to do; not just in NYC but in the surrounding area. I spent a decent amount of time in and around San Diego. It strikes me as a great place to live but is limited as a tourist destination. Los Angeles? Horrible place to live and to visit in my view.

That is my opinion and, because it is my opinion, I must be right and everyone else, especially durf, is wrong

Old 03-11-2011, 04:47 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,305,026 times
I see no point to going to the Empire State Building if you're not taking the elevator up. I think the Chrysler Building is a lot more awesome, especially if you love art deco decor.

If you can make it there, I suggest Lombardi's Pizza (Little Italy area). It was the first pizza place that ever opened there, and it was soooo good!

Friday sounds like a very busy day ~ hope you can do it all.

I went to Manhattan solo for 10 days in '08. It wasn't perfect but I had a lot of fun. If you're lucky you may just find an outdoor market somewhere, as I did a couple of times. I usually rode busses instead of subways. Lots slower but I saw the city more.

Hope you have a blast.

Old 03-11-2011, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I see no point to going to the Empire State Building if you're not taking the elevator up. I think the Chrysler Building is a lot more awesome, especially if you love art deco decor.

If you can make it there, I suggest Lombardi's Pizza (Little Italy area). It was the first pizza place that ever opened there, and it was soooo good!

Friday sounds like a very busy day ~ hope you can do it all.

I went to Manhattan solo for 10 days in '08. It wasn't perfect but I had a lot of fun. If you're lucky you may just find an outdoor market somewhere, as I did a couple of times. I usually rode busses instead of subways. Lots slower but I saw the city more.

Hope you have a blast.
Union Square often has one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel