Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 05:15 PM

29 posts, read 35,740 times

Advertisements

[SIZE=2]I recently won a $500 flight voucher from AirTran. I have to book my flight in the next 30 days. I listed the destinations for AirTran. Looking for some suggestions on where me and my wife could go. We are in our late 20's and just got married last year. Surely out of all these locations there has to be some good places to go, maybe even take a cruise. Thanks in advance for suggestions. Also if you have links to suggestions that would be great also!!!

[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Baltimore/Washington DC[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Boston, MA[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Branson, MO[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Dayton, OH[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Ft. Lauderdale, FL[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Ft. Myers, FL[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Grand Rapids, Michigan[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Indianapolis, IN[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Jacksonville, FL[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Milwaukee, Wisconsin[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Orlando, FL[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Portland, Maine[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Rochester, New York[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]San Antonio, TX[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]San Francisco, CA[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Sarasota/Bradenton, FL
Seattle, Washington
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Tampa, FL[/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]West Palm Beach, FL[/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 05:32 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Come to Grand Rapids!

In reality, I say fly to fort lauderdale and take the train to Miami.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:37 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
If you want to do a cruise I'd focus in on Fort Lauderdale as it's right next to Port Everglades .... not sure how far West Palm Beach is from the Miami Port

Aside from that you'll run into time of year/interests

Personally, on that list I'd choose San Francisco in a heartbeat .... my wife & I went there for our first anniversary ... spent 3 days in wine country & 4 days in the city and had an absolute blast ... i've been there a lot on business as well .... just a fun city if you are into such things

Boston is another great bet for a city experience .... Baltimore is underated and it may be a good city to visit when you don't have to pay the freight (this is what my wife & I like to do with reward tickets - go someplace we maybe wouldn't of thought to pay to visit ...... well we used to do that, now we just gift them to family members so they can visit us)

I'm familiar with the Rochester area and if you can fly in the late summer/fall it's not a bad time to be in upstate NY .... a lot of outdoor attractions nearby and you could spend a lot of time in quiet areas, at wineries, massive parks, etc .... i don't care much for the city itself

Milwaukee isn't bad in it's own right and it would be easy to pair with Chicago

I couldn't think of a reason to go to Dayton/Cincy - except to visit my aunt & uncle there ... but that would probably be a bit creepy if you and your wife showed up on my behalf

Maine is gorgeous in the summer - if you want a different style of cruise you could spend some time up there - go on a windjammer (kind of like a tall ship) cruise and then plan a few days on land .... another get away from it all type of destination

Orlando would give you all the theme park options, plus you could drive and split some time at a beach

San Antonio is on my list of places to visit ... but I really don't have a lot to offer aside from most people I know who go enjoy it

You definitely have me a little envious with your options ... no matter what you choose find what works for you and how you travel and enjoy it

Old 04-04-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Come to Grand Rapids!

In reality, I say fly to fort lauderdale and take the train to Miami.
How much do the train rides cost? I am sure there is plenty to do in Miami. Any recommendations on places to stay?

Old 04-04-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
If you want to do a cruise I'd focus in on Fort Lauderdale as it's right next to Port Everglades .... not sure how far West Palm Beach is from the Miami Port

Aside from that you'll run into time of year/interests

Personally, on that list I'd choose San Francisco in a heartbeat .... my wife & I went there for our first anniversary ... spent 3 days in wine country & 4 days in the city and had an absolute blast ... i've been there a lot on business as well .... just a fun city if you are into such things

Boston is another great bet for a city experience .... Baltimore is underated and it may be a good city to visit when you don't have to pay the freight (this is what my wife & I like to do with reward tickets - go someplace we maybe wouldn't of thought to pay to visit ...... well we used to do that, now we just gift them to family members so they can visit us)

I'm familiar with the Rochester area and if you can fly in the late summer/fall it's not a bad time to be in upstate NY .... a lot of outdoor attractions nearby and you could spend a lot of time in quiet areas, at wineries, massive parks, etc .... i don't care much for the city itself

Milwaukee isn't bad in it's own right and it would be easy to pair with Chicago

I couldn't think of a reason to go to Dayton/Cincy - except to visit my aunt & uncle there ... but that would probably be a bit creepy if you and your wife showed up on my behalf

Maine is gorgeous in the summer - if you want a different style of cruise you could spend some time up there - go on a windjammer (kind of like a tall ship) cruise and then plan a few days on land .... another get away from it all type of destination

Orlando would give you all the theme park options, plus you could drive and split some time at a beach

San Antonio is on my list of places to visit ... but I really don't have a lot to offer aside from most people I know who go enjoy it

You definitely have me a little envious with your options ... no matter what you choose find what works for you and how you travel and enjoy it
I have spent some time looking at San Francisco. Seems like it would be a good place. Are things a little more expensive there?

Old 04-04-2011, 06:48 PM

360 posts, read 993,083 times
San Francisco can be expensive, but I think it's a city where you can have a great time without spending a lot of money. It's such a beautiful city that you can easily spend hours happily just walking the streets soaking up the atmosphere. Also it's possible to find conveniently located, clean, decent hotels that are reasonably priced.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joallen001 View Post
How much do the train rides cost? I am sure there is plenty to do in Miami. Any recommendations on places to stay?
its $4.00 to get to miami from fort lauderdale, its about a 30-40 minute train. from there miami is simple. if you do choose miami I can help you out with whatever you need. Miami is a great city, and is by far the best choice on your list for the current season.

Old 04-04-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
its $4.00 to get to miami from fort lauderdale, its about a 30-40 minute train. from there miami is simple. if you do choose miami I can help you out with whatever you need. Miami is a great city, and is by far the best choice on your list for the current season.
Can you recommend some places to stay near the train drop off in Miami. Also are there any issues with carrying baggage on the train.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Can you recommend some places to stay near the train drop off in Miami. Also are there any issues with carrying baggage on the train.

How many days will you be there, how much do you want to pay and what do you want to be around? Miami is built on tourism, theres a lot of hotels to choose from. I have carried my bags on the trains without any problems.

Old 04-05-2011, 12:05 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,223,544 times
Quote:
I have spent some time looking at San Francisco. Seems like it would be a good place. Are things a little more expensive there?
They can be - but do not have to be. We split our 4 days between 2 different neighborhoods. One was a laid back converted motor lodge, the other was a high end hotel. You can easily have both or either types of vacations in SF.

It's really a neighborhood based city - you can spend days just roaming & exploring the neighborhoods, parks, etc with a limited cost ...... or you can blow out your budget in a day

You can get by with nice cafes & restaurants, a solid boutique style hotel and public transport/walking without killing your budget and still mix in some of the touristy things as well
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel