Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 06:22 AM

488 posts, read 1,251,517 times

Advertisements

I've now got to the point to ask, surely there are regular travellers among you, can someone please tell me how long it actually takes to fly to Australia (Sydney) from Frankfort or from Amsterdam? most people I ask say it is only 12 hours with changing planes? is it really possilbe??? I'd say it's over 20 hours but haven't flown there yet..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 06:29 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,487,793 times
No way is it 12 hours! London to Sydney is between 22-25 hours, depending on route and length of fuel stopover. So you'd be looking at maybe an hour or so less if flying from Amsterdam or Frankfurt.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:55 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,002,846 times
It Will take about 21h On the fastest route. Can be longer depending on what airline you go on, and how long the connection is. Check a few of the airlines that fly there and do some sample booking searchs

Old 04-07-2011, 07:07 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,889,546 times
My G*d guys, this is why "google" was invented. Don't be lazy.
Got this and more information in a 2 second click:

Frequently Asked Questions about flights from Amsterdam to Sydney (AMS to SYD)
What is the shortest connecting flight distance from Amsterdam to Sydney (AMS to SYD)?The shortest connecting flight distance from AMS to SYD is 10,451 miles on Air China.
How long is the shortest connecting flight from Amsterdam to Sydney (AMS to SYD)?The shortest connecting flight time is 27 hours, 20 minutes on Air China.
Which airlines fly from Amsterdam to Sydney (AMS to SYD)?The following airlines fly this route: American, Air Canada, Air France, Alaska, Finnair, Alitalia, British Airways, Flybe, Air China, China, Continental, Cathay, China S, Delta, Etihad, Garuda, Iberia, Japan, Jetstar, Korean Air, Blue 1, KLM, Kenya, Lan, Lufthansa, LOT, Malaysia, Egyptair, Air New Zealand, Olympic, Czech, Austrian, Qantas, South African, Scandinavian, Singapore, Thai, United, US Airways, Vietnam, Vueling, Widere, Alitalia Express.
Which airlines code share flights from Amsterdam to Sydney (AMS to SYD)?The following airlines code share this route: Air France (shares with: Delta), Alaska (shares with: Delta), Finnair (shares with: Japan), Alitalia (shares with: Delta), British Airways (shares with: American, Finnair, Qantas), Flybe (shares with: Air France), Air China (shares with: Scandinavian), Continental (shares with: United), China S (shares with: KLM), Etihad (shares with: Alitalia, Olympic), Iberia (shares with: American), Jetstar (shares with: Qantas), Blue 1 (shares with: Scandinavian), KLM (shares with: Delta, Malaysia), Lan (shares with: Iberia), Lufthansa (shares with: Air Canada, Continental, South African, Thai, United), LOT (shares with: Singapore), Malaysia (shares with: KLM), Air New Zealand (shares with: Singapore), Czech (shares with: Korean Air), Qantas (shares with: American, Air France, Finnair, British Airways, Kenya, South African), Scandinavian (shares with: Thai), Thai (shares with: Lufthansa, Austrian, Scandinavian), United (shares with: Air Canada, Continental, Lufthansa, US Airways), US Airways (shares with: United), Vueling (shares with: Iberia), Widere (shares with: Scandinavian), Alitalia Express (shares with: Alitalia).
Which airlines operate flights from Amsterdam to Sydney (AMS to SYD)?The following airlines operate this route: Blue 1 (operated by: Augsburg, Blue 1), Lan (operated by: Lan Dominicana, Lan, Lanperu, Air Nostrum), Lufthansa (operated by: Lufthansa, Lufthansa), Austrian (operated by: Austrian, Tyrolean).
What types of aircraft fly Amsterdam to Sydney routes (AMS to SYD)?The following aircraft fly this route: 100, 32S, 330, 340, 380, 717, 737, 747, 757, 767, 777, ARJ, CRJ, DH8, EMJ, F70, M80.
Which airports provide service between Amsterdam and Sydney (AMS to SYD)?These airports service Amsterdam-AMS: Schiphol (AMS), while the following airports serve Sydney-SYD: Sydney International /Kingsford Smith (SYD).

Old 04-07-2011, 07:42 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,487,793 times
It might take 27 hrs and 20 mins on Air China, but it doesn't take that long on other routes.
I just checked a couple of schedules, and it's about 22 hours via Kuala Lumpur (incl 2.25 hrs layover in KL), and 23.75 hours via Seoul (incl layover of around 3 hrs at Incheon).

Old 04-07-2011, 08:40 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,928,953 times
orbitz.com plug in the airports and look at every flight route...... i'm not usually one to say a question is unneeded on a forum, but this one is pretty bad..

Old 04-07-2011, 10:26 AM

488 posts, read 1,251,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
orbitz.com plug in the airports and look at every flight route...... i'm not usually one to say a question is unneeded on a forum, but this one is pretty bad..
I can look at the flight routes as well...

i just wanted to know if it was really possible to get there within 12 hours, for that's what i have heard not from one person.. so i thought it could be a kind of super-fast plane they traveled by. maybe a jet-fighter.. lol

but now i guess they surely fell asleep during the flight and forgot that they had been travelling for 24 hours...

Old 04-08-2011, 10:13 PM

10,782 posts, read 8,728,137 times
Maybe what they heard was about 12 hours to Australia, but from the west coast of the US? That's possible. Done it many times. Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane to LA or San Francisco. About 12 hours, give or take.

But from Europe? I wish. Last couple of flights there were hellishly long, even more hellish than to the US.

Old 04-10-2011, 02:29 AM

134 posts, read 302,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
It might take 27 hrs and 20 mins on Air China, but it doesn't take that long on other routes.
I just checked a couple of schedules, and it's about 22 hours via Kuala Lumpur (incl 2.25 hrs layover in KL), and 23.75 hours via Seoul (incl layover of around 3 hrs at Incheon).

The first non-stop flight from the UK to Australia was in a Vulcan in 1961. Total flight time was 20h 02 min (and the Vulcan cruised at M0.84 - most airliners cruise at about M0.81.)

Quantas did it in 20h 09 minutes in 1989.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:02 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,675,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
Maybe what they heard was about 12 hours to Australia, but from the west coast of the US? That's possible. Done it many times. Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane to LA or San Francisco. About 12 hours, give or take.

But from Europe? I wish. Last couple of flights there were hellishly long, even more hellish than to the US.
On the last trip to NZ, I sat next to a couple that had flown from scotland to london and london to LA and then they immediately got on the qantas flight to NZ. They were already blotto by the time they got on the qantas flight and dead tired and they were really wiped out by the time they got to NZ.

If it was me, I'd break the trip up into 2 parts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel