Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 07:09 AM

54 posts, read 116,678 times

Advertisements

I know its kinda stupid question but to be honest i don't remember ever seeing a bunch of people swimming near the beaches in usa,as oposed to Europe where there is allot of swimmers in every Mediterannean country,for instance Greece http://photos.igougo.com/images/p964...itsi_beach.jpg ,france http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...e_1115535a.jpg and so on...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 07:20 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,888,250 times
I haven't been to a US beach in years but whenever I was there, I was frequently in the water. It was usually pretty crowded in the water as well - if you were riding the waves in any way (surfing or body surfing), you had to be careful not to run over someone.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:04 AM

14,994 posts, read 23,903,426 times
Let me guess Jake, the last time you went to a USA beach is when the original "Jaws" movie was released?

No one was swimming for about 6 months.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:46 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,293,444 times
When we lived on the East coast, we were in the water the entire time we were at the beach. The water temps in the summer were really warm, so you wanted to be there.

We now live in San Diego, where even in August you need a wetsuit to go in the water. Most of the time, you need a sweatshirt while on the beach or you'll freeze. So yea, the only member of our family that actually goes in the water is our Bulldog, whenever we take him to the dog beach.

However, when we travel to tropical destinations, we are always in the water. Both of us were swimming in Aruba, Mexico, Costa Rica, Turks and Caicos, etc. because the water was really warm. It guess it all depends where you are. Maine has nice beaches, but we've been there in summer months when the water felt like ice. Couldn't imagine swimming in that!

Old 04-28-2011, 08:53 AM

3,522 posts, read 6,106,199 times
Probably depends where you are located.
like the previous poster stated
some times if not all times you freeze in the water.

Here in the Midwest Lake Michigan is freezing too and I seldom go in the water
but if its an inland lake , i will jump in and swim-not anymore but when I was a kid.

Old 04-28-2011, 08:57 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,870,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakefromSerbia View Post
I know its kinda stupid question but to be honest i don't remember ever seeing a bunch of people swimming near the beaches in usa,as oposed to Europe where there is allot of swimmers in every Mediterannean country,for instance Greece http://photos.igougo.com/images/p964...itsi_beach.jpg ,france http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/...e_1115535a.jpg and so on...
Kind of depends what area you are talking about. Where I live the water temperature varies widely (Northeast and Mid-Atlantic), so it is frigid most times of the year but extremely warm in July, August, and September. So tons of swimmers are out during those months, but not other times. Also, warm water attracts swarms of stinging jellyfish, so if they have been spotted, the beaches might still be popular but few will go into the water for very long.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:55 AM

54 posts, read 116,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Let me guess Jake, the last time you went to a USA beach is when the original "Jaws" movie was released?

No one was swimming for about 6 months.
I was born a long time after that movie was released ,no actualy i've never been to USA,but i will go in a year or 2,so that's why i ask because except photos and movies i have no idea how it is like over there,btw i always had in my mind that west coast is allot hotter than east,anyway which places in usa are best for swimming?And is there difference in sea temperature around Maine and that region and S.Carolina or Georgia?

Old 04-28-2011, 12:35 PM

242 posts, read 534,300 times
The East coast is very humid in the summers, and from what I hear the West coast is not. The ocean warms up earlier in the summer around S Carolina/Georgia than it would in Maine. Never been to Maine so I don't know when the water up there gets warm. In the DE/MD beach area, the water starts to warm up in July. A lot of people get in the water in the DE/MD beach area in July/August because it does get very hot and humid out on the beach.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:48 PM

14,994 posts, read 23,903,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakefromSerbia View Post
I was born a long time after that movie was released ,no actualy i've never been to USA,but i will go in a year or 2,so that's why i ask because except photos and movies i have no idea how it is like over there,btw i always had in my mind that west coast is allot hotter than east,anyway which places in usa are best for swimming?And is there difference in sea temperature around Maine and that region and S.Carolina or Georgia?
Thanks for making me feel old.
Yes the latitude of the beach (north vs. south) and of course the season make a big difference. The best beaches in the lower 48 states, arguably, are in Florida and California. No one really goes up north of the Carolina's for a beach vacation.

The west coast is not hotter at all except in the inland desert regions, where it's hot and dry, but the coastal areas because of the currents the coastal areas of California have a dry mild meditteranean type climate. The east coast is hot and humid in the summer, being outright tropical in lower Florida. The gulf currents keep the ocean warm at least up to the carolinas.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:50 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,202,785 times
West coast isn't necessarily hot, the San Diego and LA areas often have lovely weather in the summer.

And yes, Americans go in the water.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel