Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 09:14 PM

5 posts, read 7,196 times

Advertisements

i was on this bus in cambodia and this stupid american man kept on yelling IM BORED!!! IM BORED!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 09:07 PM

405 posts, read 1,280,905 times
Well, from my experience it is English, Australians and Germans who are the most rude, obnoxious, noisy and loud tourists. Actually, most American tourists I have met are friendly, respectful and quiet. Yeah, there are the drunk and wild college-kid types, but they are not the norm. Europe has plenty of those, and then again, the English, Australian, German college-kid types are a lot worse. The Germans tend to be just more rude and cocky than loud and crazy. Try , for example, when I was flying on Lufthansa and the German guy tilted his seat all the way to my lap and I asked if he could move it up a bit and he said, "NOPE, I WANT TO SLEEP." I felt like kicking his chair real hard with my crammed knee. But one Jew on a plane full of Germans? Sorry, bad joke.. The English and Australians are the more loud and rowdy types, with the English taking the cake. I witnessed these behaviors when I was in Holland and West and East Africa.

I did see a group of drunk younger age American people in Tanzania. They were at a bar and drinking and getting loud and rowdy. During my whole trip, those were the only rowdy Americans I witnessed. In Holland, there was a drunk American guy in a Coffeeshop (Marijuana parlor) who was asked to quiet down. Nothing compared to those drunk British guys screaming at the top of their lungs walking down the street with beer in their hands, "TO H-LL WITH THOSE F--ING SCOTS." Oh yeah, did I forget the English guy who was screaming on a public pay phone, " YOU F-_ING F-- , YOU F--ING F--, YOu D--S--T F--ING F--" .. I looked at the guy with awe and amazement as I never saw a person use so many bad words in a single sentence that loudly ever in my life.

For some reason, when the English are in USA they are not quite as crazy when they are in other European countries or in Africa. Probably, because they know Americans won't put up with their crap. Try have an Englishman go to Montana and make loud jokes about how bad the local airport is compared to his beloved Heathrow. He'll be the laughingstock, whereas other people around the world may yield to his colonial highness. Yeah, it's funny, but many English people still think they own the world, despite the fact they are left to just a tiny overcrowded island.

With that said, I have seen great people and jerky people from all countries in all places.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:20 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,873,729 times
South Europeans can be a pain in the ass sometimes :
1. Italians (Italian tourists are extremely loud and obnoxious, throwing their garbage all over)
2. French and Spanish (not so loud, but when they travel in anglo-saxon countries, don't heed the rules and want always to make a point that not being disciplined and not follow the rules is so much more fun and class and politically cool )

Old 07-31-2011, 11:04 AM

973 posts, read 1,705,342 times
I don't think that one can stereotype Americans in terms of loudness or being obnoxious due to the fact that depending on where people live in the USA, they will be either quiet and reserved or loud and demanding. Where people are loud here in the states, they will be loud when travelling. Where people are polite and unassuming in the states, they will be polite when travelling.

BUT to me, where most Americans do stick out and can be stereotyped as mostly it is across the borad is the sloppy and often inappropriate way they dress.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:44 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,788,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticalDream View Post
Well, from my experience it is English, Australians and Germans who are the most rude, obnoxious, noisy and loud tourists. Actually, most American tourists I have met are friendly, respectful and quiet. Yeah, there are the drunk and wild college-kid types, but they are not the norm. Europe has plenty of those, and then again, the English, Australian, German college-kid types are a lot worse. The Germans tend to be just more rude and cocky than loud and crazy. Try , for example, when I was flying on Lufthansa and the German guy tilted his seat all the way to my lap and I asked if he could move it up a bit and he said, "NOPE, I WANT TO SLEEP."
Germans rude? I have found Germans to be the nicest, friendliest group from Europe. Just my personal experience. The French well, I wouldn't call them rude per se...but there is no end to their complaining. They will complain even if everything is PERFECT!

Old 08-01-2011, 11:38 AM

1,464 posts, read 1,842,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
I think that is more of the problem.

Come to Miami and see all the loud annoying Latin American, Russian or Italian tourist. How about the Asians who block everything and take pictures of everything. Every type of tourist will do something wrong and most young tourist are young having fun they will be like that.
Yes, I think it's more of an age thing rather than a nationality thing.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:10 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,842,191 times
Two observations: I cannot stand, in any country, when people are speaking to you in your language, then speak to others (who also know your language) in a language that you can't understand -- boy, that's confusing -- hope you understood me! :-)

Also, it's been my experience that Canadians tend to be some of the politest people on the planet!

Old 08-01-2011, 01:21 PM

1,739 posts, read 1,916,583 times
Forgive me if this has already been said as I haven't read the entire thread.

Honestly these same people are loud everywhere I am sure. The same people who let their kids shriek in public without removing them for the sake of the rest of the people around them are the same ones I am sure who are equally as loud on vacations.

They are entitled to make as much noise as they want and everyone else just has to put up with it (see the thread restaurant ban update in the parenting forum and you'll get an eyeful of this entitled attitude of which I speak here)

Old 12-28-2011, 03:20 PM

314 posts, read 487,270 times
At a lot of National Parks, the Europeans are always feeding the squirrels, birds, or other wildlife when the signs and rangers clearly say that it is not allowed. Perhaps its the lack of wildlife in Europe, but that always bugs me. Generally, Europeans tend to be pretty well behaved in the USA except that they smoke more than us.

Old 12-28-2011, 07:55 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,060,466 times
I think it's mainly a problem if they are in large groups, which I see American and say Japanese tourists in more than other nationalities. There was a group of about 10 or so Americans at the backpacker and they all talked loudly, especially this one girl who was like yelling/dominating the conversation. They also tend to stick to themselves not talk to others more than other nationalities. Older American tourists are some of the most enjoyable tourists to meet. They are often really friendly, easy to talk with etc. You do have the odd arrogant, smart-ass older American though, but you can tell the true travellers from those who are just there on business or some other reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel