Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2011, 04:59 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,194,030 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
New Yorkers are surprisingly helpful to tourists. If you need directions, ask a smoker. Everyone is always in a hurry. Don’t stop people who look like they have somewhere to go; ask someone who’s already stopped, like a smoker or a person waiting for the subway.

Have fun!
Hahahahaha.....sorry,Chatteress,not to be poking some fun at you but anybody that's read her posts concerning smoking just has to laugh at this suggestion!!!
I have a young woman visitor right now from Australia that is in your age bracket that stopped in NYC on her way here and she loved it.
Used the subway, the buses, walked a great deal, etc, etc.
Enjoy your trip.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2011, 05:47 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,776,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Well ... After taking several trips solo, I decided to take one of my dream vacations for the Fourth of July weekend: NYC! I was very excited in planning this trip but after speaking with a close family member, I am having reservations regarding safety and the wisdom on doing this trip. This relative basically gave me the third degree about how it is too fast paced for a white female traveling solo and the cabs are unscrupulous and don't even consider taking the subway! She has visited NYC back in the mid-90's with a tour group and stated that she would never consider going on her own without someone to guide her. *sigh* I should not allow my relative to discourage me as I realize that they are fearful people who are just being overprotective but this discussion really got to me! I'm starting to have my own self-doubts about this trip. Should I hold off in traveling to NYC solo and just wait til I can get a travel buddy? I did purchase refundable tickets & hotel so I could get my money back if I desired.

Background: I'm 38 years old, self-sufficient career woman who has already visited Seattle, Orlando and even Canada (Victoria, BC) solo and know how to be savvy and aware of my surroundings.
Well, going to Manhattan today is not exactly like going to Zaire or Morocco by yourself. You will have total wi-fi and 3G coverage the entire time. Hell, it's not even like going to Manhattan in the early 90's...

Old 06-26-2011, 06:09 PM

1,355 posts, read 1,921,400 times
[quote=Chatteress;19653655]Well ... After taking several trips solo, I decided to take one of my dream vacations for the Fourth of July weekend: NYC! I was very excited in planning this trip but after speaking with a close family member, I am having reservations regarding safety and the wisdom on doing this trip. quote]
I live in NYC and it's not that dangerous unless you go to the ghettos or look for trouble. The 4th of July weekend is pretty desolate in NYC. Majority of the people go to the beaches, parks, other cities, hamptons, etc. It's mostly tourist and a few people who stay behind. It's not crowded like it's usually is in the city. The subways are pretty safe. NYC is not as dangerous as it seems. Yes, they are ghetto people but you can find that in any city. Since you are a tourist and will most likely stay in the tourist areas i don't see you having any issues. Just use common sense when you're out in the city. Don't flash valuables, take a cab after midnight, know where you're going before heading out, etc.

If you're scared about being in the city alone, i suggest Meetup or Couchsurfing. Again, you will be fine! If you have any ?s you can PM me.

Old 07-10-2011, 04:29 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
I want to thank each and everyone of you for your advice and encouragement. I just got back from my NYC trip last Tuesday and have posted pics and a blog entry on my profile page in case anyone's interested

Old 07-10-2011, 04:42 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,514,459 times
Glad you had a good time/didn't get stabbed!

Old 07-10-2011, 05:03 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Febtober View Post
Glad you had a good time/didn't get stabbed!
I actually felt very safe in NYC although I tried to keep my guard up. Good thing that there were tourists galore all around me as I'm sure that I stood out as one myself! LOL! At least I successfully navigated the Subway system without looking at a map while on the train ... I was able to memorize the stops and knew where to get off. There were employees there who was able to answer questions so there was no need to consult a map while inside the station or on the train.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel