Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 10:10 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,260,817 times

Advertisements

How do you get over this?

(I know there's bars at every airport but truly...I used to enjoy it).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 03:08 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,385,077 times
Problem with drinking before flying is you can be denied boarding the plane..
Personally i've never enjoyed flying and at this point in my life cant think of a single reason to ever get on a plane again,
My philosophy is if i cant drive there i dont need to go there and yeah i know driving is more dangerous than flying..

If you really have to overcome this fear of flying most cities have programs that may help..

Old 08-12-2011, 06:33 AM

3,487 posts, read 9,432,876 times
I don't suggest getting drunk. I travel some from work and a coworker of mine is afraid of flying. His doctor gave him a prescription for Xanax and he just pops one an hour or two before he flies. It's the only time he ever uses it. Apparently it takes the edge off his anxiety. As mentioned above, many areas have programs that can help you and work through the psychological block. I have no clue what it would cost but it is worth a look.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:49 AM

253 posts, read 202,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post

Go to your doctor & get a prescription. That's what I did when I flew overseas a few years ago & the flight was just amazingly long. Popped a couple, conked out, woke up & popped a few more, fell asleep & so on & so on. It worked wonders. I really don't remember the flight there or back very much.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:18 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,483,739 times
Some airports will hold classes that address your fear of flying, talk you thro the concerns and explain how stuff on a plane works and why you'll hear or experience certain things during a flight and what they mean. They aren't cheap but I know some people who've taken them and found them very reassuring.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:32 AM

1,096 posts, read 4,530,408 times
I used to enjoy flying past few years developed a really bad fear of flying, almost to the point that I have backed out of vacations while standing in line at the airport, could have cared less if I lost my money or not just didn't wnat to fly.

I tried xanax two trips ago and did not like it at all. It made me even more nervous and paranoid and kind of made me feel just tired and drugged as well, I will never take those again.

This past trip not sure exactly why but just wasn't nervous. People always tell you things like its safer than driving and things like that, I've also had people tell me basically its out of your control so what's the sense in worrying.

I know peopel saying things doesn't make you feel better but for me this past trip it finally just kinda clicked with me a few things. Firstly if you wanna go no vacation and have fun you just gotta deal with it. Second, statistically it is safe, I ride a motorcycle and am in much more danger riding than flying statistically. Thirdly, like others have said its out of my control worrying is not pleasant it makes you feel bad and it doesnt make you safer to worry lol so just dont.

Like i said obviously this has to just click with you someone saying it isnt gonna help but something to think about.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:55 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,024,594 times
There are a lot of programs and books out there. Besides for that my two top suggestions are. Telling the gate agents you are a bit fearful about flying before your flight and ask them if you could board a little early to talk to the pilots to settle your nerves a little bit. Putting a face and voice to the people at the controls should help, and they will let you know how well trained they are, how safe the airplane is etc..

Also I highly suggest that if nothing else works you your learn to fly! Yes I said you learn to fly. Take some flying lessons! You will learn how planes work, how they fly etc.. You will learn planes naturally want to be in the air they just dont fall out of the sky. And once you fly a few flights on a small single engine prop plane and actually fly it yourself sitting in a large jet airline will be a piece of cake!

Old 08-12-2011, 04:58 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,043,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
There are a lot of programs and books out there. Besides for that my two top suggestions are. Telling the gate agents you are a bit fearful about flying before your flight and ask them if you could board a little early to talk to the pilots to settle your nerves a little bit. Putting a face and voice to the people at the controls should help, and they will let you know how well trained they are, how safe the airplane is etc..

Also I highly suggest that if nothing else works you your learn to fly! Yes I said you learn to fly. Take some flying lessons! You will learn how planes work, how they fly etc.. You will learn planes naturally want to be in the air they just dont fall out of the sky. And once you fly a few flights on a small single engine prop plane and actually fly it yourself sitting in a large jet airline will be a piece of cake!
Uh ... Flying lessons are not cheap ... I know someone who did that for a while (no fear of flying .. just a passion) but had to stop because it was too pricey ...

Old 08-12-2011, 08:20 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,259,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Uh ... Flying lessons are not cheap ... I know someone who did that for a while (no fear of flying .. just a passion) but had to stop because it was too pricey ...
Flight school often offer an introductory first lesson that's a little cheaper. You won't learn too much, but you'll get to put your hands (and feet) to the controls and see how it works.

My late wife was terribly afraid of flying. I'd bought her round-trip tickets once, before we were married, at a cost of $500 or so (20 years ago) and when it came time to board the plane she just couldn't do it. She later moved in with me, and I'm a long-time pilot. She had no problem at all flying with me, I think because I told her that we could abandon the take-off or land immediately if she didn't like it. She came to love traveling in our plane every chance we had, whether it was flying a hundred miles or two for breakfast somewhere or across country to NYC. (I was president of our local Experimental Aircraft Assoc. and she was publicity chairwoman.)

Her next step was to try a commercial airliner for a short trip. She was ready but died unexpectedly before she accomplished that feat.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:18 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,747,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post

This should help

http://crazycrashes.files.wordpress....ne-crash-2.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel