Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 08:50 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,215,024 times

Advertisements

indian guy freaks out on plane - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 10:05 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,969,848 times
I used to be deathly afraid of turbulence, and then the more I flew, the more I realized it is just flat out normal. Also, a good thing to do is look at this video that Boeing released about the testing of their airplanes wings, you'd be amazed how far those things flex before they break, trust me, there is absolutely no weather that's gonna bend em that far haha.

Ive gone from being deathly afraid of flying, to absolutely loving it (and actually STUDYING aerospace engineering) hahah

Old 11-10-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post

hahahahahhahaha I'd have punched the guy

Old 11-10-2011, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
You miss the fundamental difference: I am in control of my car. I keep my car in top shape, I know that most of the drivers around me are idiots driving cars they know nothing about maintaining, couldn't anticipate a breakdown by sounds/feel, so are additionally handicapped, as well as not knowing the rules of the road and not caring, feeling like they own the road, etc.

But in the air, I am not only at the mercy of pilots who may be pushing their exhaustion limit - who may have spent the night in a noisy motel with a lousy mattress and woke up to a phone call from their wife/husband ending the relationship and they, in turn, are dependent upon the "people in the tower" who may have had a perfectly wonderful sleep and a marvelous day and are now zoning out admiring the pretty blue sky, not to mention the weatherperson who missed seeing the windshear. Oh, and did I mention the guys who repair the plane? Yeah, the ones facing layoffs or not getting the promotion they wanted.

It's control, baby, and if it's not under my control, I don't trust it. Flying isn't about statistics, it's about trust.
Are you afraid to get in a cab during the winter?

Old 11-11-2011, 06:37 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,783,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
How do you get over this?

(I know there's bars at every airport but truly...I used to enjoy it).
Drive.

It's cheaper anyway, and you see more of the USA.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
Drive.

It's cheaper anyway, and you see more of the USA.
Actually, if you are going more than 750 or so miles, flying will probably come out to be cheaper.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:12 PM

9 posts, read 49,548 times
Thanks for the info!! Will do!

Old 11-11-2011, 08:17 PM

1,935 posts, read 4,783,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Actually, if you are going more than 750 or so miles, flying will probably come out to be cheaper.
When my wife and I go to see her family, the round trip drive is approximately 2,600 miles. Her car gets 30 mpg on the highway, and even at an average gas price of $3.50/gallon (consuming 2600/30 = approximately 87 gallons of gas), the total price for fuel comes to $304.50. Furthermore, we can pack a carful of stuff if needed.

We'd be lucky to get ONE coach-class airline ticket for that price. And that assumes no cost for anything else like parking, transportation to and from the airport, etc. And forget about packing a carful of stuff at $25 per checked bag.

I really don't know how the math would ever work out in favor of flying unless you're going overseas.

Old 11-11-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
When my wife and I go to see her family, the round trip drive is approximately 2,600 miles. Her car gets 30 mpg on the highway, and even at an average gas price of $3.50/gallon (consuming 2600/30 = approximately 87 gallons of gas), the total price for fuel comes to $304.50. Furthermore, we can pack a carful of stuff if needed.

We'd be lucky to get ONE coach-class airline ticket for that price. And that assumes no cost for anything else like parking, transportation to and from the airport, etc. And forget about packing a carful of stuff at $25 per checked bag.

I really don't know how the math would ever work out in favor of flying unless you're going overseas.
I don't usually include 2 people, and I could find a ticket for 300 dollars to most places in USA. Did you include the hotel that you probably stay in in your price?

The math works out quite well.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:26 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,046,231 times
Quote:

The car usually is a cheaper option mainly when two or more folks are pooling their resources or if you need to transport tons of stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel