Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 06:52 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times

Advertisements

I needed to go pick up a car in Seattle (about 200 miles from home) and for this, Greyhound was fine - one bus, went more or less straight there with only about 5 stops. There were some people on the bus that I would not have wanted to hang out with, but they didn't come bother me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 07:47 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,239,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbhtense View Post
How is it like taking the Greyhound from Philadelphia to Raleigh, NC?
That would be a LONG trip.

IMO Greyhound is fine for trips under about 200 miles (or maybe more accurately, 3 hours). I think I've used Greyhound for 3 one-way trips (one Philadelphia-Harrisburg, two Washington-Richmond) and never had a problem. Some people can be a little smelly but that doesn't bother me much.

Interestingly, my most unpleasant bus trip came on Megabus between Milwaukee and Chicago a couple years ago because there were little kids nearby who wouldn't shut up (and whose parents didn't try to make them shut up). I felt bad for the people who had put up with that all the way from Minneapolis.

Old 09-29-2011, 09:25 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
My favorite Greyhound horror story.

I was on a 50 mile ride from Dayton, OH to Cincinnati. At the time, I did not have a car and it was the most convenient way to make the journey.

Twenty minute into the trip, the whole bus smelled like industrial solvent. People were starting to get sick. The driver stops the bus, runs to the back and screams at some kid, "Put that f***ing glue away!"

We finally get to the outskirts of Cincinnati. The kid runs to the front of the bus screaming to "let me off, we are in Florida, let me off." The driver obliges and drops the kid off on the side of I-75 only 800 miles short of his destination.

I have at least a half dozen more.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:28 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,106,218 times
Wow, this thread died pretty quick.

Flying and trains would be okay alternatives if they actually went straight to where you were going.
But I actually might be going out to Clovis NM in a few weeks and the nearest airport is in Lubbock, while Amtrak doesn't even service this area.
Plane tickets will eat up too much money(airport transfers and such) and a rental car+fuel will also be too cost-prohibitive as well.

Greyhound seems to be the only thing going directly to here and is priced just right.
Only bad thing is one bus leaves from my area per day and we're dealing with a 23-24 hr ride.

Old 06-08-2012, 10:42 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,986,322 times
Ever since I heard of the incident where the guy was beheaded by a fellow passenger, I've sworn off ever riding in a bus long distance. Or GreyHound for that matter.

Maybe they need better security options.

Man beheaded on Greyhound bus

Old 06-08-2012, 11:33 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,925 times
I've observed that many people who comment about travel on Greyhound relate stories which are from trips many years ago. It's no longer "your grandmother's" Greyhound. If you've seen or ridden the new generation of busses you should be impressed. As for not liking other passengers, well, there will always be people who harbor prejudice or who think they're better than others ... and they'll never be satisfied, unless they have the bus to themselves.

Old 06-08-2012, 12:20 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
I have taken the Peter Pan/Greyhound route between NYC to Hartford, CT. in both directions. Usually there are no major problems.

Old 06-08-2012, 01:14 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
I used to take the Greyhound between LA to Oceanside and had no issues when I was in school. I now use Amtrak as it is much more convenient now.

Old 06-09-2012, 07:58 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,106,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nj21 View Post
Ever since I heard of the incident where the guy was beheaded by a fellow passenger, I've sworn off ever riding in a bus long distance. Or GreyHound for that matter.

Maybe they need better security options.

Man beheaded on Greyhound bus
The only points where I could see this being an issue is if one happens to be on a trip between a couple of smaller stops in not-so-big cities/towns.
However, I've noticed at the Greyhound terminals in Albuquerque, Las Vegas(NV) and Ft Worth, they conduct searches of all carry-ons and also do metal detector sweeps for any blades and such.
In fact, they tell all passengers that if they want to keep all of that, then it must be placed into a checked-bag prior to boarding for under the bus stowage.

This was back in '04, so I imagine the practice has grown to more terminals since then.

Old 06-09-2012, 10:49 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Greyhound can certainly be convenient and affordable. I've taken the bus a few times, sometimes I really didn't feel like driving 9 hours and would have driven through the night through isolated places and it's much cheaper taking the bus than driving if you're the only one going.

I like being able to hop on the bus in the evening, sit back and let someone else drive and arrive 11 hours later in the early AM and be ready to go. If I drove, it would cost me at least 3 times as much in gas and I'd be tired.

Plus they don't treat people like a bunch of sheep on the bus as much, they don't pat you down, they don't charge you extra for checked in bags, they aren't as uptight about carry-on size. Everything I hate about flying is different with the bus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel