Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 09:16 PM

417 posts, read 816,654 times

Advertisements

I am thinking about Rome for a mid-November vacation. Had a few questions before making a final decision - would appreciate advice:

- I'm going solo. Is it safe for single females (I'm not a twenty-something knockout who is likely to be hit on; I will likely be ignored by the opposite sex)? Is it easy to get around to the major sites if you don't speak Italian?

- Would you recommend a hotel or an apartment rental? I like the idea of staying in an apartment and have done so with great success in London - made me feel like a native citizen, but I worry about the quality of the Italian kitchens and whether I can locate a convenient grocery store (or butcher/baker/cheese shop etc). I have to watch what I eat so cooking once in a while would be all right with me. But I like the idea of staying in a really nice hotel, too, and might be able to get a good rate in the off-season.

- If I stay in a hotel, are there delis, sandwich shops, or other take-out places where I could get food? While I know people will encourage me to be brave and eat alone at a restaurant, I just think I'm too shy to do so...

- This will seem like a silly question, but for those of you whose flights got in really early before check-in time at a hotel, what did you do with your luggage? Drag it with you to other sites, or go to the hotel and store your luggage?

- Finally, what would be a good day trip if I felt like leaving Rome for the day or overnight?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 07:53 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Lots of questions & I'll pop back later ...

Leave your bag at the hotel. You'll know where it is and won't be lugging it around.
A day trip could be Pompeii! Or the Appian Way.

More later...

Old 09-27-2011, 10:52 AM

1 posts, read 1,872 times
I only like stay hotel when It near Big market.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:55 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,790,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopycat View Post
While I know people will encourage me to be brave and eat alone at a restaurant, I just think I'm too shy to do so...
Just take a book to read with you and nobody will even know you are there! Lots of people on business have to eat alone when traveling...you could also be on business, nobody is going to assume otherwise, the fears are unfounded.

Old 09-27-2011, 05:56 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,051,289 times
Quote:
- I'm going solo. Is it safe for single females (I'm not a twenty-something knockout who is likely to be hit on; I will likely be ignored by the opposite sex)? Is it easy to get around to the major sites if you don't speak Italian?
It's just as safe in Rome as in any large city in the world. There will be pickpockets and purse-snatchers just as in any large city. There will be rogue taxi drivers just as in many large cities.

However, did I feel safe when I was in Rome? Yes, I did. Between the years 2000-2007, I was in Rome perhaps 40 or 50 times, 75% of the time alone. Not exaggerating. One failed attempt of purse snatching on the street, when two men worked as a team to draw my attention away from my purse (I was alone and in a hurry). One failed attempt of pickpocket on the bus (I was not alone) by a gypsy, resulted in a mutual cursing between the gypsy and me.

Don't count on being ignored by the opposite sex though. If you were a woman who paid attention to your appearance, some men would probably hit on you. I was, very often, not because I was a knockout, but because it's the nature of the Italian men. The flirtation was never uncomfortable. Nothing to make me feel leery of my situation.

Most tourists in Rome do not speak Italian, so the majority of merchants speak English. Most bus drivers understand English but will only answer your request in Italian (just a point of pride, nothing against you or English speaking tourists.) Everyone who works at the train station or tourist attractions speak English.

Quote:
- Would you recommend a hotel or an apartment rental? I like the idea of staying in an apartment and have done so with great success in London - made me feel like a native citizen, but I worry about the quality of the Italian kitchens and whether I can locate a convenient grocery store (or butcher/baker/cheese shop etc).
Anytime I was by myself, I stayed in hotels. Just my preference. There is not much difference between the Italian kitchens and the American kitchens, although most of them have older stoves.

If you wish to stay in apartments, the best area to be among the locals is Trastevere, while the most convenient area but full of tourists is Campo dei Fiori.

Quote:
- If I stay in a hotel, are there delis, sandwich shops, or other take-out places where I could get food? While I know people will encourage me to be brave and eat alone at a restaurant, I just think I'm too shy to do so...
There's no problem in finding grocery stores, produce markets, butcher shops, bread shops, and cheese shops. Most Italian women do their grocery shopping every morning, so shops and markets are open until 1:00PM, then close from 1PM - 4PM for pausa (most produce markets only open in the mornings), then close for the day at 7:00PM. All are closed on Sunday, some are closed on Saturday afternoon, and some are closed on Monday morning.

Sandwiches are sold in bars (the equivalence to American coffee shops, but with alcohol on premises). The prices are shown on the sandwiches, but you can ask for different fillings (the sandwich would be fresher because it's made for you) if you don't like what you see.

There are many take out places in Rome, same concept as American cafeterias. Pizza is sold by the pie, the slice, or the amount of money you want to spend.

Try not to eat at restaurants within a square (piazza) because they more than likely are catered to tourists. Try not to drink you coffee (or any kind of drink) while sitting at an outside table watching the world go by, especially in the areas where more than half of the world are tourists. The price for the drinks at those tables can be triple or quadruple what you would pay standing inside the bar with the locals.

Quote:
- This will seem like a silly question, but for those of you whose flights got in really early before check-in time at a hotel, what did you do with your luggage? Drag it with you to other sites, or go to the hotel and store your luggage?
All hotels will store your luggage after you check in even before the key to the room is available.

Quote:
- Finally, what would be a good day trip if I felt like leaving Rome for the day or overnight?
There are many places for day trips. Villa d'Este and Hadrian in Tivoli for the garden, Via Appia Antica for the catacombs, and Ostia Antica for the ruins are some of my favourites and they're all easy to get to on your own.

The neighbouring regions of Lazio (where Rome is located) are Tuscany (Florence, Siena, Pisa, Lucca...), Umbria (Assisi, Orvietto, Spoleto...) and Campania (Napoli, Pompeii...) are possible day trips with careful planning or with groups.

If you'll only be in Rome for one week, that's not enough time for day trips. The Vatican would take almost a whole day, and there is so much to see in Rome.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 09-27-2011 at 06:25 PM..

Old 09-28-2011, 01:08 AM

Ha, the Vatican can take 2 days. Oh, the museums!

Now I'm thinking of Rome (or London) for Thanksgiving weekend.

Old 09-28-2011, 09:38 PM

417 posts, read 816,654 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for the very thorough responses - very helpful information. I still am unsure of whether to visit Rome this November. I hear some people who love it and some who were disappointed due to crowds, a "touristy" feel, etc. I wish I had someone to take with me - while I am comfortable traveling alone, there are just some places that might be best seen with a travel companion.

Well, I have to decide soon; it will be November before I know it. Thanks again

Old 09-29-2011, 09:46 AM

737 posts, read 2,588,183 times
Go! Nov. and Dec. have some pretty good rates for flights and we've been during both months. Turned out to be overcast or cold and rainy during Dec. Still, there was enough to do and I agree with the above poster, the Vatican is 2 days if you're into that. We crammed as much as we could do in 1 day and ended up going back to the Vatican.

One of the hotels allowed me into their kitchen, which was very cool. It wasn't busy and they were just so appreciative of my desire to learn more about their food and preparation. The nice thing about the piazza cafe's is that you're not going to get a glare if it takes you a couple hours for a long lunch/dinner and the people watching is fantastic.

Consider group tours not only as an efficient way to see various sights, but also a great way to meet other single travelers.

If it is in your budget, go. If you've never been before, a hotel concierge can be a good person to know (don't forget to tip). Even if you rent an apartment, you should still have a local contact that can help you with recommendations. There are also for-hire concierge services that will arrange a spa appointment, set up a driver, restaurant reservations or just about anything you want to do.

We walked everywhere and only took a taxi once as we were located in the very touristy area near the Spanish Steps. Just reading these posts makes me want to go back soon!

Old 09-29-2011, 03:42 PM

Travel is never a bad idea. I usually visit Rome in January. The winter months will have fewer crowds.

I'm a single woman who almost always travels alone (am usually sorry when I travel with others) and have visited over 40 countries.

Go and have fun.
Get a Rick Steves or DK (Insight) tour books and read about it, then go.

Travel teaches us a lot about ourselves.
I can't say it enough, go and have fun.

Old 09-29-2011, 04:40 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Ha, the Vatican can take 2 days. Oh, the crowds!

Now I'm thinking of Rome (or London) for Thanksgiving weekend.
Fixed that for you

Loved St. Peters but hated the Vatican because of the crowds.

But Rome is great. Try and get a hotel a little bit out of the touristy areas and experience a bit of the real Rome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel