Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,516 times

Advertisements

Please tip your helpful hotel staff!!! (Room service, housekeeping, etc...) They make VERY little pay, even at luxury hotels and look to survive off of tips. In the case of room service, those extra fees added to the bill - the server DOES NOT get them, the hotel does. It is always customary to tip either cash (preferred) or adding a tip anywhere on the bill by writing it in. Tipping is also good for your mental health and makes you feel good. Please practice proper hotel tipping etiquette! Thank You.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-24-2011 at 05:30 PM.. Reason: Removed locale from post - soliciting is not permitted in these forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2011, 02:52 PM

763 posts, read 822,412 times
I travel extensively and tip normally if the service is good. In a restaurant I tip 20 percent if the service was flawless, I generally tip bellboys $5-$15 for three to four medium size suitcases depending on the country that I am visiting and the hotel. But, if the person for which I am dealing isn't outgoing and pleasing me, I will tip substantially less. I worked as a waiter for years while in college. I don't tip for any other reason than having a service provided. I won't tip just because I am served by a waiter. I expect them to be good waiters. Therefore, I tip accordingly.

I do agree that if people don't want to tip the bellboy, they should carry their own stuff unless the hotel pays a salary for such services. As far as restaurants, when I was a waiter, I could usually tell you about how much I would get for a tip based on several factors: age, race, nationality, vocation, residency, education, and in some cases religion. It always seems funny that those that want to have waiters fired for poor service or descrimination, etc. are those that expect the most service, are rudest to the waiter, and leave zero to very little tip. Am I wrong waiters??

Some issues that I have with wait staff follows: 1. I don't like my food served by a waiter/waitress carrying my plate with her/his finger touching my food or even close. Wear a mitten when carrying food plates or use a tray. 2. Do not carry my food and speak to anyone or carry it at a low level. I don't want anyone breathing in my dish. 3. Don't ever let me see a waiter, cook, or any food handler caugh into their hand and not go to the restroom to wash. 4. If I am paying for an expensive meal, do not refer to the people at may table as "guys". Some are women and do not have ding dongs which means they are not guys. 5. Never bring soup to me without being on a tray. Again, I don't won't a nasty finger in my soup. 6. If I am paying more than $50 dollars for two people to eat (not including wine), keep screaming brats away.

Now, you didn't hear this from me!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-24-2011 at 05:29 PM.. Reason: fyi, it's only here because so many posted before removal

Old 10-24-2011, 03:13 PM

495 posts, read 1,078,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobinCharlotte View Post
Please tip your helpful hotel staff!!! (Room service, housekeeping, etc...) They make VERY little pay, even at luxury hotels and look to survive off of tips. In the case of room service, those extra fees added to the bill - the server DOES NOT get them, the hotel does. It is always customary to tip either cash (preferred) or adding a tip anywhere on the bill by writing it in. Tipping is also good for your mental health and makes you feel good. Please practice proper hotel tipping etiquette! Thank You.
Why is the hotel charging me for service then? As far as I'm concerned, if I'm paying x amount for a "tip" on my bill and the hotel is collecting that, that's it from me. Paying any more is ripping me off, so why should I be the one with the Hobson's choice of either feeling guilty or getting ripped off? Don't assume I'm financially well off either just because I have to stay in a hotel for whatever reason. And just because one is financially well off doesn't mean one can or should throw money around willy-nilly. I'm a good tipper ($5/night for housekeeping, etc.), but a line needs to be drawn somewhere.

I understand that hotel service staff often times get shafted by these policies, but of equal distaste are hotel staff who develop a reactionary sense of entitlement and feel that hotel guests "owe them." I once stayed in a unionized hotel in San Francisco during a strike, had no choice because I was taking a performance exam the next day in the city. I was literally egged by hotel staff upon walking into the hotel because I was crossing their picket line. All night, hotel staff were banging pots and pans outside and I couldn't get a wink of sleep. I ended up having to cancel out my performance test scores and retake it elsewhere at much time and expense, and to a detriment to my career at the time. What was I supposed to do? Find a quieter alley on the streets somewhere because this was going on at most San Francisco hotels? Blame the hotel for pushing workers to this point? At some point, I don't care whose fault it is, but don't think you have a right to pass the burden to innocent third parties just because you have a grievance.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-24-2011 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: updated quoted text... fyi, it's only here because so many posted before removal.

Old 10-24-2011, 03:26 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,597,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobinCharlotte View Post

How's your hotel job these days, Bob?

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-24-2011 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: updated quoted text.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:47 PM

495 posts, read 1,078,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
I do agree that if people don't want to tip the bellboy, they should carry their own stuff unless the hotel pays a salary for such services. As far as restaurants, when I was a waiter, I could usually tell you about how much I would get for a tip based on several factors: age, race, nationality, vocation, residency, education, and in some cases religion. It always seems funny that those that want to have waiters fired for poor service or descrimination, etc. are those that expect the most service, are rudest to the waiter, and leave zero to very little tip. Am I wrong waiters??
My now wife and I ran into this problem every time we were out on the town during college. We'd go into top restaurants dressed to the nines in SF or LA and most times get worse service than we would at a $10/plate casual eatery. Matters were made worse when we didn't order drinks (yeah, we actually didn't drink in college, imagine that!) because we were chalked up to being young AND cheapskates from the get-go. Problem is, my personal policy was 20% as a FLOOR for tipping, and we tended to order every course (apps, mains, desserts) for each of us. And I had to go through with tipping the full amount, because otherwise I'd be confirming exactly what the wait staff was incorrectly assuming of me. Service did tend to get A LOT BETTER on repeat occasions, but those initial visits were always joke-worthy. My date and I actually made it a game to see just how bad service would be when we'd go to a new place.

Old 10-26-2011, 12:19 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,301,087 times
I always tip a hotel staff person who carries my luggage to my room.

But I will not tip maids/housekeeping. Depending on hotel/motel/inn and it's level of upkeep, maids can spend as little as 15 minutes cleaning up a room. Instead, if I ask a maid directly for something extra, then I tip her. Have done that a couple of times.

Old 10-26-2011, 01:51 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,043,904 times
I always tip room service waiters IF they do a good job.

Lately I've had them forget half of my order, or the condiments, or my coffee, or even silverware. Then my food gets cold while they run back to the kitchen to bring me some cream, salt and pepper, or a fork to eat my eggs with.

I'm not going to tip for bad service or flakiness.

Old 10-27-2011, 02:12 PM

9,758 posts, read 7,470,755 times
Most of the time when I'm staying overnight I only stay for 1 night, and usually get in around 11:00 PM and leave at like 9 or 10 in the morning. Still I'll leave whatever loose change I have around and like a couple singles.

Old 10-28-2011, 10:55 AM

1,055 posts, read 4,459,152 times
Many hotels include gratuity via a service charge or mandatory gratuity, so its not always necessary to tip.

I manage a hotel and cannot tell you how horribly people tip bellmen (or don't tip). I tip the housekeepers but I am kind of the fence about doing it. Room cleaning is a basic service that you pay for, so I feel kind of ambivalent about gratuity. But because I work so closely with the housekeeping department and understand how hard the associates work, I always do leave a tip.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:56 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times
I'll tip if I think it's deserved. Yes I'm happy to tip the person who brought my food to my room or the person who carried my bags up or downstairs or the valet who fetched my car, but I won't tip housekeeping if they do a lousy job. Recently I stayed at a well-known chain hotel where the housekeeping staff first said they weren't planning to clean my room (even tho they were cleaning the one next door that hadn't been used all weekend) and then expressed surprise when I got annoyed about that. Even after a call to the front desk to, er, resolve the problem, they managed to leave dirty items in the bathroom .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel