Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2016, 09:13 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times

Advertisements

Planning a Europe trip this summer and I've been to most of the cities I've wanted to visit in Western Europe but have never been to Eastern Europe..

I've pretty much narrowed my choices down to Prague and Budapest but having a tough time deciding. I do enjoy museums/arts/culture etc but also just enjoy walking around the streets of a place and taking in the architecture and street life. Nightlife is a consideration but certainly not a major one. Food is also a consideration along with value for money.

I welcome any insight posters have regarding both or even one. Any details about the place, the people, vibe, energy, value for dollar and just anything you want to convey about it or both would be appreciated!

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2016, 07:42 AM

1,601 posts, read 2,983,153 times
I haven't been to Budapest but I have heard good things.....Prague, I HAVE been to, and it is absolutely amazing! It's jaw-droppingly beautiful, the people are so nice and open to tourists, it's totally a walking city, and when I was there about 5 years ago it was very affordable. We were there in March and it was COLD, so you still had that winter feel. The beer from U Fleku brewery was good (we were at the Best Western, literally 20 steps from the brewery door) and we found some delicious Italian food. I'm not too fond of German/Czech food but we did not starve. :-) The Colonel saved us for free bathrooms, because we found more paid toilets in Prague than anywhere else in the world...so we went into Kentucky Fried Chicken, bought a snack, and used the bathroom.

It IS hard to figure out things in the Czech language, however, because it's not intuitive for us English speakers! When we got off the train from Berlin, we looked around and said "Okay. What now?" because there was no English and you couldn't figure out the words! We grabbed a map, located our hotel and the nearest subway stop, and then found a police officer who pointed us in the right direction in the train station. Luckily he spoke enough English to understand, but we did find that English wasn't as widely spoken there as in other places. But that makes it fun and adventurous!

Watch out for pickpockets at Prague Castle, Old Town Square, and in Wencelas Square. I wore a Pac-Safe crossbody with slash-proof straps and held it tightly to me, but I was still intentionally bumped hard at the castle in what I think was a pickpocket attempt. I bumped back. :-) Friends of ours, there a year before, had stuff stolen out of their backpack at their feet and out of cargo pants pockets that were zipped at the castle, so the pickpockets are good.

I would go back in a heartbeat, so I don't think you would be disappointed at all if you chose Prague!!!!

Old 12-22-2016, 09:10 AM

8,864 posts, read 8,446,442 times
Been to both and out of the two, I'd definitely go for Budapest in a heartbeat. Prague is simply overrun by hordes of tourists. It's like a less prettier Venice (still pretty though) sans the waters.

Besides, Budapest is far cheaper than Prague. Prague is cheap by Western European standard but since the Czech Republic is quite more developed than Hungary, it's naturally a lot more expensive than Budapest, and there are a lot of tourist traps, thanks to the gazillions of tourists. Budapest is so cheap that I was just bombarded by the low prices during the whole time I was there.

Both cities have vibrant nightlife scenes though. They both receive tons of alcoholic college students from Western Europe annually.

Old 12-22-2016, 09:45 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,726,313 times
Prague is stunningly beautiful but like mentioned, it is excessively touristic 365 days of the year, which is a bit annoying. Summer would be the busiest season and I would choose somewhere else.

Among all the cities I have visited, Prague and Venice feel most touristic and least real (as a city for people to live in). They are like zoos.

Old 12-22-2016, 05:47 PM

15,102 posts, read 15,879,610 times
Hmmm all great information and thanks everyone!... Ultimately I will visit both cities but I think timing is important so thinking Prague would be better off peak season, so this time around leaning on Budapest.. Any further info however is welcomed so by all means keep it coming

Old 12-24-2016, 04:05 PM

605 posts, read 669,828 times
Budapest is an amazing city with tons of stuff to do, plus it really isn't that far from Prague if you decide to do both (the train ride is about 11 hours). Anyways if you are going to Prague I would suggest visiting it in the off-season which is basically around winter since you avoid most of the crowds.

Old 12-24-2016, 09:31 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
I've been to both. Hard to choose between the two. Two of my favorite European cities. I did like Budapest more, but I think there was more to do in Prague. Enjoy both if you do that!

Old 12-25-2016, 06:21 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
I'll run counter to most folks and say that I liked Prague more. But it's hard to really compare as I visited them 9 years apart and in very different stages in my life as well. And I enjoyed both quite a bit just thought Prague had a little more to offer. (Yes it was extremely touristy when I went, but I don't mind that too much anyway)

Old 12-25-2016, 09:02 PM

1,639 posts, read 2,202,330 times
[quote=RooCeleste;46586489].....Prague, I HAVE been to, and it is absolutely amazing! It's jaw-droppingly beautiful, the people are so nice and open to tourists, it's totally a walking city, and when I was there about 5 years ago it was very affordable..

QUOTE]

Ohhh I'm so happy to see this because I'm going to Prague in May of next year!!!

Old 12-26-2016, 06:59 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,420,706 times
Just stopping in to say I have been to both as well, and it would be a tough choice for me. They were both so great so worth visiting.
I think that Budapest was more different though and in that respect I might vote for it.
But truly , either or both you won't be sorry at all.
enjoy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel