Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 08:00 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,935,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
I disagree with this statement. While most of these countries might have dangerous areas, it does not mean that most of these countries are dangerous. Of course, the exact same thing could be said of the United States.
I have no problem with traveling to places like South America, but the chances of something happening there are a LOT higher than anything happening here in USA or in Europe. Crime can happen in any part of those places. I personally love South America, but to say it is no different than USA is a bit ignorant.

Old 12-21-2011, 09:08 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Wanderer View Post
Americans are bashed all the time for our "attitude". As if attitude is something only Americans possess? Not. Do the French have attitude? Do the Germans? Do the Italians? Do the English? We all have attitude, that's part of our makeups. Without attitude, we would all be sheep and cows.
?
Of course they have attitudes too. But their attitude it not "I refuse to travel", which is the topic of this thread.

By the way, there is a huge difference between "having Attitude", which is an ebonic diss, and "having AN attitude", which is not a loaded word implying negativity, but is simply a person's way of thinking or behaving. If you'll read my post (#21) again, you'll see that the latter is what I clearly meant.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-21-2011 at 09:18 AM..

Old 12-21-2011, 09:58 AM

1,448 posts, read 3,051,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Of course they have attitudes too. But their attitude it not "I refuse to travel", which is the topic of this thread.
I still don't believe that most Americans refuse to travel.

You, I, my husband, my children, my siblings, my husband's siblings, my friends, my husband's friends, my children's friends, the people with whom I had casual conversations on the (domestic) planes, at the (domestic) airports, on C-D, on Google Plus, even on knitting forum -- everywhere I turn, I see Americans who travel to foreign countries.

I do recognize that certain groups in our society do not like to travel to foreign places -- the older generation (older than I am, that is! ), the ranchers and farmers whose lives and works are tied to their lands 365 days a year, and African American (there are two long threads here on C-D with plenty of explanations on the topic).

Many Americans don't travel to foreign countries, true, but they don't refuse to travel. The fact that most Americans have no problem uprooting our families, moving 3000 miles away, setting up new life in places where we have not even an acquaintance nearby, and we do that repeatedly, even in old age, showed that we are not afraid of the unknown. Old people in other countries do not do that. Most people in other countries do not do that.

Just because many Americans don't travel outside of their country, a country that offers just as much diversity as a whole other continent, does not mean they refuse to travel. They feel there is enough to learn and to discover in their country, and there are times when I agree with that sentiment. After 40 years of travelling to foreign places, I finally settled down to see that there are so many lessons to learn and so much experiences to gather in this vast country, and I could spend 40 years travelling in America without ever exhausting the sources.

One experience from the top of my head: I went to the Alps to see the annual bringing the herds down from the mountain. It was a great experience, no doubt about that, it was also colourful and fun. Then I went to South Dakota and found myself blown over by the bison roundup. Both were great experiences, but the bison roundup left me with tears in my eyes with its overwhelming emotion and its rich history. The two events were more or less the same, but the latter only cost me a couple tanks of gas and two nights in the hotel, while the former was two weeks off work plus 500% more in expenses.

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 12-21-2011 at 10:43 AM..

Old 12-21-2011, 10:01 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silfwer View Post
I travel alot and meet alot of other traveling ppl from all over the world, but I never meet americans except for when traveling in the US (well, I do, but not as often as i should).

You have a fantastic country, I get that, but still, theres so much more to see.

I dont know anyone of my friends or family who havent been to USA or Thailand.. Most of the ppl I know also visited China, Caribea and Australia. (and almost every Swede have visited Germany, Spain, UK, Italy, Greece & France before the age of 10)

Read somewhere that only 20% of the americans owns a passport!! That cant be true, can it?

A theory I have is that u maybe dont have so much vacation? (Most Swedes have 5-6 full paid weeks every year. So does our neighbouring countries Norway, Denmark, Finland, Germany).

Whats your theories?
We already live in the best country in the world for seeing diverse landscapes and beauty, so why leave "home"?

Not to mention, there's been a recession in this country and since 2008 many have either lost their jobs or had to reduce expenses. Traveling overseas can be very pricey

Old 12-21-2011, 10:23 AM

1,338 posts, read 2,566,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
We already live in the best country in the world for seeing diverse landscapes and beauty, so why leave "home"?

Not to mention, there's been a recession in this country and since 2008 many have either lost their jobs or had to reduce expenses. Traveling overseas can be very pricey
because nothing beats a nations cuisine in the country of origin IMO....

whilst the USA does indeed have great and diverse landscapes - wether it is the 'best' can be debated... only by people who have travelled outside though
For me it would not be a question of Niagara falls/Grand Canyon/ Cali coastline are better than XYZ yes I enjoyed California, Hawaii, Niagara falls, Leaves in New Hampshire but I also loved Everest base camp, Wall of China, sushi in Tokyo, Noodles in Beijing, Great Barrier Reef etc etc they are all different and unique places...

The price issue is indeed an important one but there has been a global recession it is simply a question of priorities for most people. Europeans place more priority on international travel IME. and not just within Europe, many travel to Asia and the US.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:56 AM

347 posts, read 695,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post

whilst the USA does indeed have great and diverse landscapes - wether it is the 'best' can be debated... only by people who have travelled outside though
For me it would not be a question of Niagara falls/Grand Canyon/ Cali coastline are better than XYZ yes I enjoyed California, Hawaii, Niagara falls, Leaves in New Hampshire but I also loved Everest base camp, Wall of China, sushi in Tokyo, Noodles in Beijing, Great Barrier Reef etc etc they are all different and unique places...

The price issue is indeed an important one but there has been a global recession it is simply a question of priorities for most people. Europeans place more priority on international travel IME. and not just within Europe, many travel to Asia and the US.

Quite true. For a wealthy nation, Americans are not well travelled at all. IMO nothing broadens the mind and puts things into perspective like international travel.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:51 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,896,013 times
Quote:
I Read somewhere that only 20% of the americans owns a passport!! That cant be true, can it?
No it is not true! It's one of those myths that get repeated but are never supported. The US government does not issue statistics of how many American's have passports, some one pulled that percentage out of their @ss. There was a previous forum post on this.

I travel all the time, and the tourist I see more than any other - AMERICANS.

I will repeat what someone else posted - "a brainless thread based on baseless information". But people love to respond and comment to it.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:13 PM

3,457 posts, read 3,623,920 times
Quote:
This is interesting, i think. You obviously have the money and the time. But you choose to go to Hawaii twice or more per year.

Wouldnt you find it interesting to see any other culture or any other country rather than revisit Hawaii and meeting other americans time after time?

The prices in ie Thailand or Bali is way below the Hawaii prices, so its not about the money. Travel time isnt a big issue either. Why, Hawaii over and over?

I´ve nothing against american ppl, actually i find u often being the nicest. I just find it sad that you wont travel outside your own borders more than you do. Also its not a Europe-US thing, you dont see French ppl outside france either.

Visiting a beach in Hawaii or a beach in Malaysia is a totally different thing.
Visiting mountains in Colorado or mountains in Nepal isnt the same thing at all. Travelling is just as much about the ppl and the culture.
For me it is cost, lack of vacation time, and the misery of flying.

There is so much in the united states i haven't seen, or done. I live in the deep south, and have never visited large portions of the west. I've been to Arizona, Southern California, Texas, Oklahoma, up and down the eastern seaboard, and covered the deep south... but I'm not a rich person, and I can't go do everything I would like to do.

I could go to Asia, but a plane ticket to Asia is about $2000, last I checked. I get about 3 weeks off per year, which is pretty good by American standards, and I burn much of that during the holidays, and during the summer (beaches).

I wanted to visit New Zealand recently, but the ticket would've been $1,800, and the flight is just too long. That's just more than I can spend on a plane ticket.

I've traveled to Europe twice, since the plane ticket only runs $800 - $1000, it is easier to afford. Sitting on a plane for 7 or 8 hours is about the maximum I can take. I really enjoy travelling in Europe; it seems so easy.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:14 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swisswife View Post

If I lived in many places in Europe I'd be looking to come to America too!

Don't forget, America is HUGE compared to many other countries.

We just have so much to do and see right here at home that we can spend a lifetime doing that. This is unlike smaller countries where you can see everything in your own country and ready for something "new" when you are still relatively young.

As far as "cuisine", nothing in the world can top what you can order and eat in New Orleans . The same is true for many amazing places in New York, San Francisco, Chicago or Charleston.

Look, no question international travel will broaden your horizons. It's just too cost prohibitive for many folks, even cash strapped Americans at this time.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:25 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
No it is not true! It's one of those myths that get repeated but are never supported. The US government does not issue statistics of how many American's have passports, some one pulled that percentage out of their @ss. There was a previous forum post on this.

I travel all the time, and the tourist I see more than any other - AMERICANS.

I will repeat what someone else posted - "a brainless thread based on baseless information". But people love to respond and comment to it.
Yes they do. Here is the exact number of passports issued last year, and a chart showing how many each year.

http://www.us-passport-service-guide...tatistics.html

If you simply add up the number of passports issued in each of the last ten years, you will have exactly the number of currently valid passports there are. That's 116 million, which is 37%. However, as you can see by the jump in 2008 when the number of applications ever year doubled, that reflects the number of people who now need a passport to go to Toronto. (In fact it's fewer than that because some people with passports have died. Many more got a passport but never traveled,)

So 20% is very close to the correct number of passport holders who actually use their passport for the purpose of leaving North America and obtained it with overseas travel intended. That "myth" has just been supported by figures from the US State Department.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-21-2011 at 02:42 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel