Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2012, 10:49 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

Have you ever taken a trip to a very cold place in winter, other than an attraction like a cushy ski lodge?

The winteriest place I ever went was to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, in January. I was living in a warm climate then, so it wasn't the same as all the years I lived in Canada.

Every American birdwatcher makes at least one February trip to Duluth, Minnesota, to see the arctic species of birds that get forced south to find food.

The coldest place I've ever been was Edinburgh in December, where my guest house was bone-chilling, and I had to keep dropping shillings into a space heater to get a few minutes of relative warmth. If I had to do anything, I had to run out in the few hours of daylight. I think that's the furthest north Ive ever been anywhere near the winter solstice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2012, 11:39 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Have you ever taken a trip to a very cold place in winter, other than an attraction like a cushy ski lodge?

The winteriest place I ever went was to Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, in January. I was living in a warm climate then, so it wasn't the same as all the years I lived in Canada.

Every American birdwatcher makes at least one February trip to Duluth, Minnesota, to see the arctic species of birds that get forced south to find food.

The coldest place I've ever been was Edinburgh in December, where my guest house was bone-chilling, and I had to keep dropping shillings into a space heater to get a few minutes of relative warmth. If I had to do anything, I had to run out in the few hours of daylight. I think that's the furthest north Ive ever been anywhere near the winter solstice.
Interesting. I live in Duluth (well, in the immediate vicinity of it) and have seen many birdwatchers at various outlooks, but never knew that Duluth was a hot destination in the winter for them.

I've never travelled anywhere cold in the winter - Duluth is usually sickeningly cold in the winter - but I have travelled to hot places in the summer. I did a two-month internship at USF from May to July. I didn't have a car, so had to walk (or take the shuttle bus) everywhere, and Tampa is definitely not designed for walking! My group went to the beach once, which I missed out on, and even though it was about 20 miles away by road, it would take roughly three hours to get there by public transit.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:33 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
I traveled to New York in the middle of winter before, not sure if that is what you're looking for. Chicago is only a few hours from where I live, so it is easy to go there in the winter, I do however prefer Chicago in the Summer. Typically, if I travel in the winter, it will be to a warmer place because I prefer warm weather

Old 01-08-2012, 12:40 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
I would like to work in Antarctica over a winter season!

I'm not sure I would like to be an Ice Trucker, but that looks fun too.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:43 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,931,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I would like to work in Antarctica over a winter season!

I'm not sure I would like to be an Ice Trucker, but that looks fun too.

I'm in the wrong time period for that now, but I think I would have been with the people who migrated out west from the East and did things like that. I would probably also do something like that when the day comes that there's some sort of rush to Antarctica. I don't think that'll happen in my time, so I'll be happy here in the good ole USA and travel

Old 01-08-2012, 05:02 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
I've dreamed of visiting Montreal in winter, but have not ever done it.

I think the coldest I've ever been, a time when I actually said "OMG I'm freezing," was years ago in northwest England between Christmas and New Year's. We were walking along the water in Morecambe and it was bone-chillingly cold. I'm sure this was in part because I was from Colorado, and not used to damp cold. We went from there to Scotland, and I do remember how dark it got, very early.

Of course, with Colorado, you can experience winter at the oddest times.
I once was camping up at Steamboat Springs over Memorial Day weekend, and we had a brief but memorable snowstorm. The next day I was trout-fishing in a halter top. That's Colorado for you.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:48 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
I've spent two winters in Antarctica, both at Palmer Station on the Antarctic Peninsula. It wasn't that hardcore, since we are considered the "Banana Belt" of Antarctica. I actually experienced winters growing up in Northeastern PA that were colder.

Our typical temps at Palmer in the winter, were highs in the mid to upper 20's and lows in the mid teens. With the wind it could get down to -30 F, but that was rare. I also experienced a high near 40 F, during the heart of winter there once, so climate change does exist!

I was just in McMurdo last August to the beginning of October, during a period called Winfly, or Winter Fly-in and the coldest I got to experience was -40 F, with a wind-chill of -81 F, which is pretty cold.

Here's a video I took of what a Condition 2 is like at McMurdo back on September 9th, 2011. Condition 3 is normal, Condition 2 is it's getting bad, and Condition 1 is you can't leave any of the buildings because it's so bad.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwMh3NhnRTI&feature=g-upl&context=G2088394AUAAAAAAAAAA[/URL]

Old 01-08-2012, 08:34 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,004,316 times
Living in Alaska I get my fill of the cold weather. Anchorage is not really that cold. While I have seen minus 35 on the east side of town, it usually only dips down to minus 20 a few times per winter. One winter it never went below zero. Fairbanks is a whole different story. It can drop to minus 65. It might stay colder than minus 40 for a week or more at a time. When it warms up to minus 20 it feels great outside. If I have to go to Fairbanks in the winter time I usually fly there. A few winters ago I drove there when it was minus 45.

Old 01-09-2012, 07:25 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
I've taken plenty of trips into cold climates, but never for fun or as a vacation. I hate snow and ice, hate driving on it or walking on it, so there has to be a damn good reason for me to go out in it.

I can't say precisely what the coldest temperatures I ever saw were, but it was down in the -20 to -30 range. Just the cold itself isn't so bad, but extreme weather conditions such as Little Diomede Island in Feburary, can make one wonder, "What the hell am I doing here?"

To deliberately go forth into such weather as a goof just defies common sense, to this old man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel