Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your preferred way to travel long distances?
Drive 15 42.86%
Plane 14 40.00%
Train - Amtrak 5 14.29%
Bus - Greyhound 0 0%
Motorcycle 0 0%
Other 1 2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 09:56 AM

385 posts, read 1,455,153 times

Advertisements

I don't drive, so I'm down to plane, bus or train. For 500 miles I'd prefer to fly. For 200-300 miles I'd normally take Amtrak or a bus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2012, 10:20 AM

6,904 posts, read 7,607,055 times
Some of us are just more susceptible to motion sickness - that's the reason I don't fly anymore. I tell long-distance relatives that it's like consciously choosing to have stomach flu. Why would I voluntarily choose that? No more planes for me - and no more boats, either! That's until I make my planned trip to Australia next November and just have to take both.

I don't particlularly like to drive, but think anything under 12 hours is doable in a day. Best is a long wandering car trip during which the actual drive is only about 4 hours and the rest is stopping and looking and playing.

I do love train trips, though - for some reason they don't cause motion sickness, for me anyway. I love to be able to be moving forward and at the same time to be able to get up and walk around. The problem is that in America, anyway, passenger trains just don't go everywhere I want to go.

Have you guys had a discussion about motion sickness? I really want to know why I suffer and others don't. Maybe in the health forum.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:31 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
I would take the High Speed Rail Line if the US had such a thing

Old 01-12-2012, 10:42 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Well Perth is the most isolated city in the world. 2,500 km to the nearest major city. So unless you're travelling in state, flying is obviously the only option. I've driven to Adelaide - it took me 5 days taking one long detour at a leisurely pace. I was still driving all day, every day. Going overseas we have to fly of course.

Old 01-12-2012, 11:42 AM

1,607 posts, read 3,091,298 times
I am a big fan of the northeast to Florida flight...from where I live now to Miami, say if I want to go on a cruise in winter, is about 23 hours driving.

Flight, even with getting to the airport an hour and a half before take off, is only maybe 5.5 hours total with a direct flight, and that's with travel time to and from both airports. That drive, even if you do it in two days stinks, long, boring, and with the price of gas not too much cheaper considering I can find flights for under 300 to south Florida.

Not to mention the time factor, nice to leave the northeast on a cold winter morning, land in Florida around 11 and have lunch by the pool in Bermuda shorts and not feel like crap after driving 1300 miles.

Even to the carolinas it is not worth the drive to me.

Anywhere in the NE maybe out to Ohio we drive it. Further than that you will see me at Bradley airport in the lounge having a drink (just one, I hate drunks on a plane) before my flight. I will waive to you as we fly down over I-95 as you are stuck in traffic on the Jersey turnpike

Old 01-13-2012, 04:24 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Ideally I would rather drive as it gives you far more freedom and more spontaneity to stop whenever you want and see what you want. But if time is limited then I suppose it has to be flying.

I love motoring holidays, there is something really unique about the freedom of the road. You go at your own pace and are in the driving seat figuratively as well as literally.

Old 01-13-2012, 09:19 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,224,716 times
Drive, hands down. Unless absolutely forced to do so by circumstances, no airplanes. Many years since flown, no intention of changing. Long slow lines, TSA, declining airline customer service, and boorish self centered passengers deciding factors. Besides, enjoy long open road driving. Much more enjoyable to see where you are going at ground level than from 30,000 feet. Would consider trying the train, and not an option in the poll is travel by ship. Should I ever visit Hawaii again, going by sea will be the first choice. In the meantime, will load the bags in the trunk, gas up, and enjoy the call of the open road, and let others suffer the indignities of modern air travel.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:04 PM

3,644 posts, read 6,306,186 times
Assuming "Plane" in the poll meant commercial air travel, I chose "other". My preferred method of crossing 500 miles is in my own small aircraft the Rutan-designed Long-EZ. It's no jet but at least I can avoid the TSA, security lines, and all the hassle of modern flying.
The last time I flew to Miami the weather was bad and I had to go commerically. I hated the experience, espicailly the TSA. I refuse to go through the radiation machines so I had to endure the groping. It was handled fairly professionally in Houston but at MIA it was amature hour. They kept me delayed for a fairly long time and took my bags and moved them :to put them through the scanner a second time" I was told. The thieves in the TSA have been well documented so I reminded them that their own guidelines say I am supposed to keep my eye on my own bags at all times. After reminding them of that my bags were quickly found and the guy said they had been checked and everything was OK. I still had to wait until they could find the guy with the lowest seniority to do the groping. I vowed at that point that I would not put up with it ever again for domestic travel.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:25 PM

10,646 posts, read 16,035,527 times
Germany, Belgium, France (Don't like French airports anymore), Luxembourg, Switzerland, Liechtenstein and Austria are the only countries i would travel by car from my home.

for every other country i take a plane.

Old 01-13-2012, 10:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
500 miles? That is not even 1/2 tank of petrol for my car. (I had a daily 850 mile trucking route for many yrs...). I definately can't justify flying such a short hop.

For my frequent 10,000 mile trips to Singapore (2x / month), flying worked OK, tho it would have been nice to have a Concorde.

I prefer to take long trips while sleeping. I would like to try one of those SIA 'Cocoons'. http://cdx.dexigner.com/article/1093...t_Class_01.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel