Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2007, 06:47 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,931,422 times

Advertisements

I need some opinions on this.........

I live in NE Ohio, my brother lives in North Carolina 12 hours away. I would really like to go visit him this summer, but have never driven more than 3 hours alone in a car. I have been in the car for 10 hours straight, but i was w/2 other people that time. I"m just wondering if you all think it's smart for a 28 yr. old single woman to make this drive alone. I've asked several friends to go w/me, but they are either too busy or can't afford it. Also, i'm afraid of flying, so that's not an option. I know my bro has made this drive alone and he says it's not a big deal. I think it would be a good experience for me to do this alone, but i'm a little scared about it too. What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2007, 09:59 PM

4,273 posts, read 15,249,400 times
12 hours is do-able, I think. Just don't drive at night if you plan on making this a 2-day trip. Find lodging before it gets dark. Always stay in well-lit areas. Make sure you always have your keys ready before you walk to your car if you get out (ie rest stop, gas station, whatever).

If you plan on driving it all in one day, I would go way early in the morning ... like a 5am-5pm trip. That way you get to your destination before it gets dark. Don't pick up hitch-hikers (duh!) and stay near the highway when you need to get gas!! I'm 28 female, too, so I understand your concerns. I've never done a 12 hour trip by myself but I have travelled by car extensively and always take precautions. Good luck!

Old 06-06-2007, 10:02 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
I think you should use caution at all times when driving by yourself! Going on the trip for 12 hours will not change anything other then you should be more aware of your surroundings at all times. Be sure not to get too low on gas, stop only in well lighted areas, look at your tires and make sure they are not going flat or low on air. All those things that should be common sense and good judgment are the things that you should be doing. Also have a map of the area with you so you can figure your way there and back, and if you get lost you can look for some help on getting back to the route. Take a cell phone with you and report in with a phone call every couple of hours letting other people know where you are at.

Old 06-07-2007, 06:45 AM

3,413 posts, read 8,835,057 times
Get your oil changed before you go too. And plot your trip on mapquest so you have a good feel for where you are going. Interstate driving is pretty simple if you read the signs.

Bring some good music and enjoy the scenery. You should have some lovely mountains on that trip!

Old 06-07-2007, 09:05 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,112,167 times
I've just driven about 4800 miles alone. I don't drive as long and as hard as I once did, and generally pace myself on hours not miles. I haven't had any serious trouble, but some things to remember:

- mapquest is not fool-proof; take a good map, a flashlight, and even a magnifier
- have a pre-road check-up on your car and make sure you have extra fluids, a spare set of wipers, a tire-kit, and a battery charger
- join a road association, like but not necessarily AAA
- take a cell phone, and if possible get a recharger for your car
- follow major highways, or secondary roads with visible markings (especially after dark)
- take some fluids for yourself, a cooler and some easily consumable eats while your hands are on the wheel
- most of all "enjoy"

Old 06-07-2007, 07:39 PM

1,063 posts, read 3,023,554 times
All of the above information is good for planning any trip.
Stop at busy gas stations and rest areas that have many around. I travel about 5,000 miles by myself a year and I just follow good common sense. You will be so glad you did the trip by yourself. Enjoy it.
Jane

Old 09-05-2007, 03:37 AM

117 posts, read 392,083 times
Hi CGirl,

I know summer's about over, and you've probably come and gone already, but I wanted to post a couple finds I only recently made. I'm pretty well grown, and this week, I will be starting off on my own first ever trip requiring about 2 full driving days. I feel like I have everything in order, so little need to stress, but still . . .

There are times I'm convinced the internet is the most amazing thing ever. I'm going to upstate New York for the first time ever in my adult life, and thanks to the web, I know more about what I'm getting into than I ever could otherwise!

Fantastic planning tools:
  • TravMatix - Driving Directions with Trip Planning
    This dude rocks. The only thing I don't like is, it doesn't allow you to save a trip route and & info online, but you can mail a URL to yourself.

Travmatix includes info per exit, like food, gas (with est. prices), and hotels. Even rates restrooms and details rest areas! It also gives you the option of a separate map for each exit.

I ran a search on road trip (stuff), and got some great links like this, for example:

Ten (and a Half) Tips for Road Trips

Just stuff I hope others will like.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:13 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,019,975 times
I love road trips. Alone or with others. 12 hours is not awful for someone your age. I would do it. Just stop for breaks and always get out and move a little. This is all assuming you have a decent well maintained vehicle.

Your statement about being afraid of flying makes me sad. I hope you find a way to get over it in the future. Your world will be a much smaller place. You most likely will never touch the sand on Bora Bora or climb the road to Machu Picchu. Life is too short to allow it to be ruled by fear.

Best of luck and have a good trip.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:05 AM

5 posts, read 13,335 times
ı think to travel america alone.if l go what can ı do in there?and where do l stay in there.if you give me some knowledge.l will be happy.

Old 09-06-2007, 01:06 PM

15 posts, read 45,545 times
I have been making long trips alone by the time I was old enough to drive. I think the longest I have done was from Jackson, MS to Washington, D.C. I am a 25 yr female and have never felt unsafe while driving. I don't like to drive at night, but that is only because I get tired and want to sleep. You just need to practice common sense. As long as your vehicle is in good shape, and you are a good driver, not much can happen to you in the car. Just be aware of your surroundings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel