Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 07:27 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,029,434 times

Advertisements

I am going on my first NYC trip solo in a few weeks and need some practical logistical advice regarding pictures. I've never been to NYC and know that I need to be watchful of pick pockets and to avoid appearing like a tourist but I want some photos of myself in different settings to have as keepsakes. How would you recommend I handle this? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2011, 08:01 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,874,855 times
Oh, I am excited for you! (I began traveling solo after divorce and love it)

You are a smart gal to plan ahead. Street thugs can LOOK at someone and know they are not NYers....native NYers might chime in here, but, having been there many times, I suggest:

Dos: appear confident, study maps ahead of time so you can be at ease, wear neutral clothing so as not to attract undue attention...keep purse across your chest or snugly under arm. *You too will be able to spot tourists at the major sites, they can take the photos for you and you can for them; also, many NYers are quite pleasant & helpful, depends on what area. Your gut feeling can aid you.

Don'ts: wear an item that is area-specific ie cowboy hat or Hawaiian shirt, walk around holding maps and a puzzled look and no camera around your neck!!

Have a wonderful & safe trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
I am going on my first NYC trip solo in a few weeks and need some practical logistical advice regarding pictures. I've never been to NYC and know that I need to be watchful of pick pockets and to avoid appearing like a tourist but I want some photos of myself in different settings to have as keepsakes. How would you recommend I handle this? Thanks

Old 06-18-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Oh, I am excited for you! (I began traveling solo after divorce and love it)

You are a smart gal to plan ahead. Street thugs can LOOK at someone and know they are not NYers....native NYers might chime in here, but, having been there many times, I suggest:

Dos: appear confident, study maps ahead of time so you can be at ease, wear neutral clothing so as not to attract undue attention...keep purse across your chest or snugly under arm. *You too will be able to spot tourists at the major sites, they can take the photos for you and you can for them; also, many NYers are quite pleasant & helpful, depends on what area. Your gut feeling can aid you.

Don'ts: wear an item that is area-specific ie cowboy hat or Hawaiian shirt, walk around holding maps and a puzzled look and no camera around your neck!!

Have a wonderful & safe trip!
Thank you so much for the reply. One question: I was going to use a fanny pack when I'm out and about but the camera doesn't fit. I was planning on wearing it around my neck but I guess that would flag me as a tourist?

Old 06-18-2011, 08:16 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,874,855 times
H-U-G-E flag....I would not even show the camera unless ready for photo op.....best bags are those you can put the strap over your head, then wear it bandolier style-across the front of your chest. Leaves your hands free too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
Thank you so much for the reply. One question: I was going to use a fanny pack when I'm out and about but the camera doesn't fit. I was planning on wearing it around my neck but I guess that would flag me as a tourist?

Old 06-18-2011, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
H-U-G-E flag....I would not even show the camera unless ready for photo op.....best bags are those you can put the strap over your head, then wear it bandolier style-across the front of your chest. Leaves your hands free too.
Ok ... I actually prefer wearing these types of bags at home so I'll just see if I have one that can accommodate the camera. Thanks.

Old 06-18-2011, 09:01 PM

494 posts, read 1,610,563 times
Some good advice in here. I'll just add some things.

NY was the place that made me develop the habit of always putting my wallet in my side pocket and not my back. It seems trivial, but it's actually ingenious. Thieves have to be pretty bold to try to steal things from your side pocket, because you are more likely than not catch them in the act (especially if you're like me and like to keep your hand in your pockets). Front pockets are even better.For girls this is pretty easy obiviously, since y'all got bags. For us guys, it's pretty neat advice.

For the camera, I agree don't take it out unless you have to, and when you do put it away quick. Also, I recommend not trying to dress up for NY. You will be doing a lot of walking and be taking public transportation. Just bring some casual stuff that makes you look as boring and non-touristy as possible. Also, if you can help, don't fall into the trap of wearing NYC branded merchandise. I'm not saying you shouldn't buy it, but don't wear that stuff around the city. That too is a flag.

And most of all, don't assume every NYer is a jerk . Last time I went, I met plenty of nice people in NY. One lady even gave me her MTA card for free.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:02 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,945,615 times
Its only NYC, just throw it in your pocket. Would you walk with a fanny pack in front of your friends? Do you really want to be in NYC with a fanny pack?

Its just like any other city, its not dangerous and you don't have to worry, just enjoy your time and have fun. Be wary of empty streets in the dark and I think you're set.

Its a fun city, enjoy it.

I don't know why people are saying don't take out your camera, you will be just fine. If you're in a ghetto obviously don't.. but you dont have to worry anywhere else really as long as you are paying attention to what you are doing.

Its New York, I disagree with the other posts, you should dress up, its the fashion hub of USA!

Old 06-19-2011, 09:06 AM

43,691 posts, read 44,435,568 times
Most NYers are very friendly. So you can easily ask other people to take photos of you at tourist attractions (especially other tourists that you see also taking photos).

Old 06-19-2011, 10:38 AM

11,151 posts, read 15,840,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
Most NYers are very friendly. So you can easily ask other people to take photos of you at tourist attractions (especially other tourists that you see also taking photos).
^^ This ^^

I was in NYC over Memorial Day, visiting a friend, and two different people -- in two different parts of town -- walked up to us and asked us to take their picture.

And, having lived in NYC twice, I have to admit I've never heard of pick-pocketing being an issue. Theft, yes, but that can happen anywhere -- so just make sure your brain goes on the trip with you and you'll be fine.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
^^ This ^^

I was in NYC over Memorial Day, visiting a friend, and two different people -- in two different parts of town -- walked up to us and asked us to take their picture.

And, having lived in NYC twice, I have to admit I've never heard of pick-pocketing being an issue. Theft, yes, but that can happen anywhere -- so just make sure your brain goes on the trip with you and you'll be fine.
What type of theft is prevalent? I always try to maintain my alertness but any advice you can give me to avoid being a victim would be appreciated I don't drink period and ain't planning to check out the club scene. Heck! I may even get back to the hotel before dark knowing me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel