Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 07:20 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,183,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
This is hard to believe - but in 1939, according to my mother's notebook, it took only $96 for her and 4 other relatives to take a coast-to-coast road trip from Virginia to California and return.

Can you believe, the $96 covered all gasoline, emergency car repairs, overnight lodgings, all meals for 4 adults and 1 child for a couple of weeks, and 5 admission tickets to the San Francisco World's Fair and to Yellowstone Park. They visited relatives in Tennessee, then drove the famous Route 66 thru the Mohave desert (just like the Okie's in the "Grapes of Wrath") to Los Angeles, San Francisco, Yellowstone Wyoming, then back through the northern plains, visiting relatives in Iowa, returning to Virginia. All other nights they apparently stayed in tourist cabins. Needless to say, no air conditioning anywhere, no car radio, no swimming pools. I suspect they ate homemade picnic meals.
Someone in your family had money. 1939 was the tail end of the Great Depression and most families didn't have the money to do something like that.

They were very fortunate to be able to make a trip like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2012, 08:11 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Ironically, my first transatlantic flight was probably one of the last fun flights ever - the beginning of the end... It was from Paris to L.A. (a duration that now gives me creeps and nightmares), but you couldn't feel it. It was a party with Air France - quality food, unlimited top-shelf liquor, smoking, and walking around as you wish. 1995. In 1997 Lufthansa still had a little area between curtains where only 3 people could smoke at a time. It still made the flight from Paris to Mexico City bearable. The end.

Of course, I'm aware the majority here wouldn't agree with the reasons for my thrill.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:13 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,068,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Ironically, my first transatlantic flight was probably one of the last fun flights ever - the beginning of the end... It was from Paris to L.A. (a duration that now gives me creeps and nightmares), but you couldn't feel it. It was a party with Air France - quality food, unlimited top-shelf liquor, smoking, and walking around as you wish. 1995. In 1997 Lufthansa still had a little area between curtains where only 3 people could smoke at a time. It still made the flight from Paris to Mexico City bearable. The end.

Of course, I'm aware the majority here wouldn't agree with the reasons for my thrill.
I forget which movie it was (maybe you'll remember) but they're discussing hell and Catherine Zeta Jones' character quips, 'hell is flying coach from LA to Paris.'

Old 03-26-2012, 06:41 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,690,534 times

Pan Am introduction to jet service - YouTube

Old 03-26-2012, 12:16 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I forget which movie it was (maybe you'll remember) but they're discussing hell and Catherine Zeta Jones' character quips, 'hell is flying coach from LA to Paris.'
It's hell now. As I said, it used to be a lot of fun!

Once, I did get upgraded to business by chance on a transatlantic flight. It was pretty nice. The only time I got first class was on a 2-hour flight, unfortunately. That was sweet, too.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:58 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,147,004 times
My first trip overseas was in the late 70s. To Great Britain. You had to book everything through a travel agent, and the one we used was awful. She didn't convert the pounds to dollars, so all the hotels she'd booked us into were twice the price. After spending a couple weeks traveling around the country ... we thought we'd hit nirvana back in London when we saw our first McDonalds (and I hate McDonalds). But it was just so good, and familiar, to have some "Amercan" food. We'd eaten in a place that called itself "American" and it was a joke. My next trip, a couple years later, McDonalds, Burger Kings, etc. were everywhere.

You had to exchange money before you left home, and you had to take all the money you might need with you. Debit cards didn't exist. When they came around, the ability to withdraw money periodically through a trip, in that country's currency, was a wonderful convenience.

Airline flights might have shown a movie on an overhead screen, if it was a long flight. Other than that ... entertainment was pretty much elevator music. Flights were rarely full, and most three-seat rows had an empty seat (or more). Food was a full meal. We did fly first-class to Europe once. What an experience! And yeah, the smoking "rows" at the back of the plane. Wasn't unhappy when they stopped that one.

Most of my trips to Europe in the 70s and 80s, the airfare was about the same cost as the "land portion" of the trip. Including a two-month's backpacking trip.

Ah, the good old days. Back when flying was fun (unless the flight was rough). I don't even fly these days, I hate the experience so much.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:37 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,045,032 times
Because of regulation, you didn't have much hope finding the best deal for airfare in the 1970s. Take it or leave it. You had all sorts of weirdo routes. As a kid, my first flight was Kansas City to Peoria, Ill., on Continental. The plane continued to Chicago after that, but the notion of flying directly between KC and Peoria is absurd these days. Every arm rest had an ash tray. Most passengers were businessmen.

The last time I used a traveler's check was 1989.

I haven't mailed a postcard since 1995.

Old 03-30-2012, 09:40 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,045,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
That may be The Haunting -- late 1990s movie.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:46 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Cigarette smoke everywhere until 10-20 years ago.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:49 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioSilence View Post

I haven't mailed a postcard since 1995.
I still mail them from all sorts of random places to my nieces and nephews who get excited to get mail, and from a "far away place" like uh, Indiana makes it even better. (Most are under 10)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel