Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2012, 02:38 PM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times

Advertisements

Flying out of Orlando isn't really an option for me, so Tampa it is. I will however take note of Virgin America for the future, I'm partial to JetBlue but it's good to see another airline shaking things up.

I guess I can now kind of see why this route is expensive, but that sucks if its always like that. I flew to Vegas just back in February for about $240 round trip, and that I only booked not even 3 weeks in advance. I guess I just got lucky.

If I had to do it, I guess it wouldn't be so bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 05:14 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
What the heck? Yes they do in fact fly to Orlando. I checked the website. Virgin America flys to and from Orlando and Fort Lauderdale airports. That's the only reason I brang it up in the first place.
I wrote a *very* sloppy sentence and you misunderstood me. See here:
Quote:
I am looking at flights to Colorado in mid-July this summer, and I am re-thinking my strategy. Maybe driving to Orlando would not be such a bad idea, too bad Virgin America does not fly there.
I know VA flies out of Orlando. And I'm happy to know this.
What I meant was that Virgin America does not fly to Denver.

Good luck, PDF. Yes, coming from Tampa makes it more difficult. I'm in Jax and the next time I have a family reunion in LA, I know I will give serious consideration to driving to Orlando.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:25 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Well Jet Fuel Prices are up, Capacity is down. Tampa is generally a higher cost city to go in/out of. Can you go out of Orlando? Can you go in to different LA area airport? Can you move your flight to other days?

Non-Stop get a higher prices, And delta Knows they can fill the plane at that price.

Look for connection, might add 90 min each way but can save your ~100-200$ ,,,

Also Check Southwest, they only sell thru there website, so it won't show up in the Online Sites like Orbitz.
That's interesting as I've usually found the opposite to be true in most of my searches. I only fly daytime flights.

Old 04-07-2012, 10:52 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
My advice to you would be to DRIVE to Los Angeles with 4 other passengers. You can find them on Craigslist. If you need to, put the ad on the cities you will pass through's Craigslist sites. You should be able to do the trip in about 48 hours, and assuming you will keep the other 4 seats full, assuming 30 mpg, your total trip price should be about $140. You will have to sleep in the car, though.

Old 04-07-2012, 04:26 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
My advice to you would be to DRIVE to Los Angeles with 4 other passengers. You can find them on Craigslist. If you need to, put the ad on the cities you will pass through's Craigslist sites. You should be able to do the trip in about 48 hours, and assuming you will keep the other 4 seats full, assuming 30 mpg, your total trip price should be about $140. You will have to sleep in the car, though.
That is an insane plan. No one is able to do that. Unless he's planning on moving to Los Angeles, it's highly inefficient for him to DRIVE there. You would spend more money than the plane trip all together. You've got gas, food, & hotel to spend on the road. Then he's going to spend more for that in LA. Then he's going to spend more coming back to FL. Not worth it. I think what you should have suggested is the greyhound. That would make more sense if he were to do anything regarding a road trip to CA.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:16 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
That is an insane plan. No one is able to do that. Unless he's planning on moving to Los Angeles, it's highly inefficient for him to DRIVE there. You would spend more money than the plane trip all together. You've got gas, food, & hotel to spend on the road. Then he's going to spend more for that in LA. Then he's going to spend more coming back to FL. Not worth it. I think what you should have suggested is the greyhound. That would make more sense if he were to do anything regarding a road trip to CA.
He could have all the passengers who are licensed drivers drive part of the way, so he would have somebody constantly driving, thereby getting him at his destination faster and eliminating the need for a hotel. As for meals, they could buy MREs beforehand, or just make PB&J sandwiches en masse.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:29 AM
PDF PDF started this thread

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I wrote a *very* sloppy sentence and you misunderstood me. See here:

I know VA flies out of Orlando. And I'm happy to know this.
What I meant was that Virgin America does not fly to Denver.

Good luck, PDF. Yes, coming from Tampa makes it more difficult. I'm in Jax and the next time I have a family reunion in LA, I know I will give serious consideration to driving to Orlando.
Thanks. I actually got the non-stop out of Tampa for $492, so probably wouldn't have been worth going to Orlando anyway.

Thanks for everyone's help, I guess it's not so bad. Just surprised that TPA is more expensive to fly out of, but it makes sense with summer coming up and all.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:57 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,554,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
He could have all the passengers who are licensed drivers drive part of the way, so he would have somebody constantly driving, thereby getting him at his destination faster and eliminating the need for a hotel. As for meals, they could buy MREs beforehand, or just make PB&J sandwiches en masse.
Sorry but I would never trust strangers to drive my car. personally, I would drive and stay in campgrounds thus saving $70+ a day.

Old 04-09-2012, 02:11 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Thanks. I actually got the non-stop out of Tampa for $492, so probably wouldn't have been worth going to Orlando anyway.

Thanks for everyone's help, I guess it's not so bad. Just surprised that TPA is more expensive to fly out of, but it makes sense with summer coming up and all.
At least you got a nonstop! The last time I was able to do that was when Frontier still flew to JAX (which they no longer do. )

Old 04-27-2012, 08:32 AM

22,334 posts, read 29,432,497 times
Ok trying to looking into VA flights from Orlando to LAX and I can't gives me no USA options. What am I doing wrong here??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel