Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 09:15 PM

Location: where people are either too stupid to leave or too stuck to move
3,982 posts, read 6,688,188 times

Advertisements

i took a 30 hour train ride and the scenery was the best part! throw on some headphones and its very serene
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 12:38 AM

684 posts, read 1,150,933 times
The trip is absolutely part of the experiience. On road trips the landscape, small towns, large towns, medium towns, are all interesting. Make them so, and the vacation or trip is just that much more of a memorable an experience. The destination is certainly important, but don't forget to "stop and smell the roses." Why not make the travel time an addition to your itinerary? Now that we have our own plane, we love stopping in small towns, getting the courtesy car that many airports have for transient pilots, and go about the town. Those impromptu little sidetrips have given us some of our favorite mories (just as much as on a road trip). I confess to even enjoying just looking out the window, and watching the country (in some cases sea traffic) below, as it passes by 35,000 ft below on a commercial airliner. (I always want the window seat.)

Old 05-12-2012, 09:07 AM

414 posts, read 1,020,109 times
I've loved watching the scenery since I was a little kid. We drove a lot when I was younger, and my usual form of entertainment was looking out the window. Nowadays I'm usually the one driving, but I still love to check out the landscape as it goes by.

I'm also a rest stop connoisseur. There's certain rest stops that I always stop at (no matter if I need to or not) just to check out the surrounding landscape. I think it's pretty frustrating for the rest of my family

Old 05-12-2012, 03:02 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,078,282 times
I like road trips partially due to the scenery. Growing up in central Indiana, things here are pretty much flat. We do have some hilly areas just an hour south in Brown Co., but things really get neat once you get into E. KY, and closer to the foothills of the Appalachian mountains, and of course the actual range itself.

Within the last year, I drove to Alabama and Florida then back, another trip to Florida, and a trip to NYC. Back in the late 2000s, took a family trip out west. Since we were driving so much, we did fly out to Denver. Then we put just under 3,000 on a mini-van driving from Denver, to Rapid City, to Billings, to Whitefish, then Yellowstone, and finally back to Denver. On that trip, three of us took turns driving so it wasn't that bad. I really enjoy driving to new areas and seeing how things change along the way.

Another thing I like is driving through larger cities (500M or more people). It is neat to see how other cities are laid out and the designs of their taller downtown office buildings.

Future trips include driving to Vegas and doing a SW loop, then driving the Blue Ridge Parkway (at least part of it), driving some more areas in the Great Smoky Mtns. Nat'l. Park, and maybe even driving up to the Canadian Rockies.

I will admit that driving through flat farmland would get really boring.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:17 AM

689 posts, read 2,161,523 times
As a small child, I grew up with freedom to move around in the car, standing up in the back seat, leaning over the front seat, with full 360 of the countryside, and freedom to ask questions about whatever I saw. Now kids are strapped securely into strait-jackets and chained into the medieval back seat corner, with barely a view out one tinted window by craning their neck, and handed an iThing to keep them from going absolutely stircrazy until "we're there yet"..

Observing the wonders of the passing countryside is no longer ingrained in one's moving-car experience from early childhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel