Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2012, 07:33 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,595,230 times

Advertisements

I do believe while traveling I-95 in NC last week I saw more troopers in black SUV's than the Secret Service has... Glad it was not my car getting stripped searched with me having to stand on the road side watching. Of course be careful anywhere not just NC... FL strip searches vehicles on I-95 too. There was a wolf pack of a dozen or so black SUV's with a black chopper overhead picking out cars to stop in NC. Really cool to see what was going on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2012, 08:14 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,950,129 times
They're probably looking for people transporting drugs.

Old 05-06-2012, 08:35 PM

4,009 posts, read 6,865,329 times
DH and I have driven I-95 numerous times (at least from NC to FL) and we *always* see plenty of cops through NC and SC, in addition to FL (GA never seems too bad).

I've heard that Fayetteville, NC is a major hub for drug dealers to transfer their wares as it's the half way point between FL and NY. It's probably why you saw so many car searches!

Old 05-06-2012, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic View Post
DH and I have driven I-95 numerous times (at least from NC to FL) and we *always* see plenty of cops through NC and SC, in addition to FL (GA never seems too bad).

I've heard that Fayetteville, NC is a major hub for drug dealers to transfer their wares as it's the half way point between FL and NY. It's probably why you saw so many car searches!
Now you tell me. That's where we stayed for a night going and coming. No wonder they kept the motel doors locked after dark. FL uses pickup trucks as patrol vehicles on I-95 and they are unmarked. Once not long ago they had a paddy wagon onsite as they pulled people over.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzleman View Post
They're probably looking for people transporting drugs.
Probably so. Miami to NY drug corridor. FL had a guy in cuffs in Brevard county today. Might be one load that didn't make it through.

Old 05-06-2012, 09:23 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadicus View Post
Probably so. Miami to NY drug corridor. FL had a guy in cuffs in Brevard county today. Might be one load that didn't make it through.
Yep, it is. I once checked into a Motel 6 near Ft. Lauderdale and had to wait in line behind 4 hispanic guys with identical suitcases and fresh, new $100 bills to pay for their rooms.

I asked the clerk what the deal was with that and he said he didn't want to know.

Old 05-10-2012, 02:02 PM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
We traveled from S. Carolina to Va. last week, and there were MANY more troopers out than I've ever seen....must be a ticket contest going on!

Old 05-10-2012, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
We traveled from S. Carolina to Va. last week, and there were MANY more troopers out than I've ever seen....must be a ticket contest going on!
If they take those off the road trying to do 95 mph in the 70 limit I'm all for it. I saw so many close calls from drivers weaving in and out from far left to far right and then back to far left to gain just one car length in heavy traffic.

Old 05-10-2012, 06:35 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
Just google operation pipeline.

I find it so amusing how many people consent to searches of their cars or do not even know they can tell an officer they can't search their car. Of course assuming the car does not smell like drugs or the drugs are easily seen.

Old 05-12-2012, 12:37 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Just google operation pipeline.

I find it so amusing how many people consent to searches of their cars or do not even know they can tell an officer they can't search their car. Of course assuming the car does not smell like drugs or the drugs are easily seen.
If police believe your car contains evidence of a crime, your car can be searched without your consent. However, they must state before the search that they have probable cause to support their belief that there is evidence of a crime, which will have to be a probable cause that will stand up in court later on, and they know that.

The best response is to ask the police "Am I free to go, or am I being detained for probable cause?" They have no third option available to them, it's one or the other. But they can detain you long enough to ask you to identify yourself. If you are not the driver, you do not need any identity documents, you can just state your name and address (except in Arizona).

The police are not stupid and they know the law. But they are also very well trained to intimidate civilians and make them believe they have no rights. Your best tactic is to calmly and quietly let them know that you know your rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel