Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 10:00 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,967,911 times

Advertisements

I usually don't need a car when I travel but for this trip I do. Are there any car rental companies that'd rent out to a 24 year old without having to pay the extra fees?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2012, 12:53 PM

3,487 posts, read 9,433,568 times
Any of the big names will charge the fee (Hertz, Budget, etc.). See if there are any independent car rental companies where you are traveling. Is this a pleasure or business trip? If traveling for business, the fee is usually waived through the organization.

Old 05-16-2012, 01:12 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,761,354 times
I went to Florida and I had just turned 25 like the week before so I still had the old drivers liscense with the temporary stapled to the back, I went to all of the major rental places and they all told me "no way" even with the temporary proving my age they would not let me rent. So I eventually got a car from some no name local rental place.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:24 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,013,798 times
Hertz is currently running a special where they do not have a surcharge for drivers age 21-25. When making the reservation use PC code 144314.

Keep in mind I have never found Hertz to be the leader of low prices. Depending when and where you are renting you might get a good deal from Hertz. Then again, it could be cheaper to pay another companies surcharge.

One final observation regarding using a non major rental company. If all you are looking for is a cheap car to drive locally and are not worried so much about the condition of the car, then you might save a fair amount of money. Just try to not be too shocked when they toss you the keys to a 7 year old car with 100,000 miles on it. Last month I used what I thought was a major rental company (they had a booth at the airport alongside all of the national companies). The 7 year old car with 100.000 miles on it looked ok. However I almost started crying when I gassed it up and found I only got 8 miles to the gallon. Most of the driving was highway.

Old 05-16-2012, 10:27 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,927,778 times
Enterprise.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:14 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,113,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
I went to Florida and I had just turned 25 like the week before so I still had the old drivers liscense with the temporary stapled to the back, I went to all of the major rental places and they all told me "no way" even with the temporary proving my age they would not let me rent. So I eventually got a car from some no name local rental place.
That makes no sense. Your age would be evident by your birth date which would be on your old drivers license. I think there's more to this story.

Old 05-17-2012, 06:16 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,113,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raena77 View Post
Enterprise.
Enterprise generally won't have a surcharge if you are renting through a repair facility while your car is in the shop, but many Enterprise locations do have a surcharge for leisure rentals.

Old 05-17-2012, 02:23 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,689,236 times
Hertz with the currently running fee-waiver code is probably the best bet.

The code that waives the fee is a "PC" in Hertz terminology. This is a coupon. A coupon is separate from a "CDP" which is a discount plan. You can find an applicable discount plan that may combine with the PC for waiving the underage fee. For example, if you're AAA member, you just put the club code in for CDP, and it will give a certain discount, and then the PC should waive the underage fee. There are any number of discounts you can use with Hertz that don't require any special membership. The airlines all have codes to use, for example. Putting one of those in usually gives at least a little discount off the non-CDP rate.

Since the underage fees usually start at some $15/day and are $25/day in some places, it's unlikely Hertz will be more expensive when they are waiving the underage fee and the others are not. I rent cars about 10x a year, and I often find Hertz to be same price or cheaper than others with the CDPs I use.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:28 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,967,911 times
Yeah, I went through Hertz with the underage fee-waiver. Hertz get's a bad rep for their prices but actually the base prices weren't even THAT far off from the cheapest place -- Thrifty(about a 20 dollar difference total). With the fee waiver I saved 45 bucks. Thanks for the help guys!

Old 05-18-2012, 08:24 PM

16,404 posts, read 30,335,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Hertz is currently running a special where they do not have a surcharge for drivers age 21-25. When making the reservation use PC code 144314.

Keep in mind I have never found Hertz to be the leader of low prices. Depending when and where you are renting you might get a good deal from Hertz. Then again, it could be cheaper to pay another companies surcharge..

That really depends on the location. A LOT of Hertz Local Editions (neighborhood stores) offer some great weekend rates. When I travel on weekends, I park my low-mileage vehicle and rent one of their vehicles for $35-60/ 3-day weekend INCLUDING TAXES. In general, teh fees and taxes at off-airport locations are a fraction of those at the airports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel