Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 11:43 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,224,716 times

Advertisements

While the chance of a black bear attack are very remote, the risk is still there, and they should not be taken lightly. Recent studies have dispelled some long held beliefs on black bear attacks. The majority of attacks and fatalities have come not from females defending cubs but from males in deliberate predatory attacks. The average male black bear weighs around 250 pounds and is tremendously stong, much stronger than the most powerful man. Grizzlies are a whole different situation, and are an animal that are a genuine threat to humans.
www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/05/110511074807.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 07:37 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
In bear country I bring bear spray, and have it easily accessible, and know how to use it. I recommend buying one canister to use simply for practice/familiarity. Being charged by a bear should not be the first time you actually use it! I've never had to use bear spray on a bear, and I haven't even seen that many bears. But I run into moose a lot, and did use it once on a mama moose that charged me. She was pissed! Those legs can pose a serious threat and I fear a pissed off moose almost as much as a bear.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:35 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,237,878 times

I met the critter that left this track on the trail -- a big griz. I stepped off the trail and talked to him in a calm (as calm as I could) voice, and he didn't even slow down as he passed by a foot or two away from me. Thankfully! I suspect that if I hadn't stepped off the trail he'd have simply run over me.

Blacks, I used to share fishing holes with them in Alaska. They didn't scare me and I didn't scare them. I do respect them, and I don't trust them at all when they're dumpster diving. When they associate man with food, they can get real dangerous.

As for the tuna sandwich, give it to your partner to carry. Just sneak it into his backpack. Then you won't have to outrun the bear, just your partner. Seriously, I'd double-wrap it in a couple sandwich bags to be safe.

(Note: That's one of my brand-new Danner boots 30 years ago. I still wear them, but they don't look so pretty any more.)

Old 06-28-2012, 10:00 AM

83,526 posts, read 75,333,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
So wifey and I are going hut-to-hut hiking for 5 days, by the end of this month.
the area we're going to, has a relatively large black bear population.
On all of my previous hikes, I've never seen one from close by, but only from far away.
From what I've read black bears are pretty timid animals, and rarely attack humans.
What are some of the precautions you'd take if adventuring into black bear country?
Is bear spray really necessary?

And if you've been on close bear encounter, how did you diffuse the situation?

Thanks !
Just seeing this post now..you're probably in the middle of the woods somewhere enjoying your hike by now.

I went to Algonquin last year. Long story short.. We started the hike at 3:30AM from the Lodge.. Got to the summit at 8am. It was adrenaline pumping hiking in the PITCH DARK especially after seeing this sign.

It was great hiking when nobody was on the trail...or the summit. It was a mess coming down moving over for way too many people!

But I did not see, hear, or smell any Bears. In fact I didnt even see a deer or a squirrel the whole 9 hour hike. Just have a knife handy if anything. There were a lot of flys following me though. Ugh.

Old 06-29-2012, 08:36 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,172,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by likeminas View Post
So wifey and I are going hut-to-hut hiking for 5 days, by the end of this month.
the area we're going to, has a relatively large black bear population.
On all of my previous hikes, I've never seen one from close by, but only from far away.
From what I've read black bears are pretty timid animals, and rarely attack humans.
What are some of the precautions you'd take if adventuring into black bear country?
Is bear spray really necessary?

And if you've been on close bear encounter, how did you diffuse the situation?

Thanks !

We have black bears in the yard on a regular bases.

Like some have mentioned make some noise as you hike and you will hardly ever ever see one as they will go away from you.

Make your self big, hold up your arms. stop your feet and yell and they may stand on their rear legs to get a better view of you, some may even huff at you before turning and trotting off.

IF , if you should come across a big male, he might not care if you are there or not and may not scare off. just go around him as he knows his place in the food chain.

In the spring watch for cubs, momma bear will protect them. but in most cases the cubs and momma will go up a tree and wait for you to leave.

We don't use bear spray for black bears, it's the grizzlies & mtn Lions you what to watch out for.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:44 PM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
I've hiked in black and grizzly bear country and have never seen a bear but did have one pass by the trail after we left. We saw the print on the way back. I do recommend bear spray as it is better to be safe than sorry. Otherwise, just make sure you hang the food, toiletries, and clothing you've cooked in away from camp. I can't remember the exact distance it should be. Honestly, I've had more run-ins with moose than I ever have with bears.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:25 AM

2,894 posts, read 5,907,340 times
Hello everyone,
just wanted to give a quick update.

We went for a 6 day hut to hut hiking trip through the White mountains of New Hampshire.
Let me tell you, the constantly changing weather can be way more dangerous than any animal you might encounter in the woods.
In the end, we decided not to carry bear spray or any kind of weapon.
The trails on a nice, sunny day can be somewhat busy, so bears and humans don't usually cross paths.
We didn't see any black bears, but did spot a few fresh tracks not far from the trail.
And from far away saw a very large moose grazing with its two calves.

Overall it was a very nice trip that I would recommend to anyone.
And don't worry about black bears, they are pretty timid animals.

Old 07-02-2012, 09:59 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,201,636 times
Glad everything went so well! You are right about the weather, much more troublesome than the wildlife in these parts.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:32 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
Do NOT leave bear spray in a hot car. There have been stories in the paper recently about the cannisters exploding and injuring people.

Old 07-12-2012, 05:38 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,669,870 times
I do it all the time, but in black bear areas not grizzly. Though in B.C I was walking on a trail to a recreation area and I look in a tree and I saw 2 little grizzly bears in a tree infront of me. Scared the * out of me after I wondered where the mother was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel