Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 09:08 PM

15,639 posts, read 26,267,127 times

Advertisements

I'm flying back east for a wedding, and a high school graduation celebration, and I need to carry back 2 large quilts. I check my bags, and I have a great nylon parachute type material duffel that I can fit these two quilts in easily, then roll it up tight and toss it in my suitcase.

Is this sort of material okay for checking? After all the work I put into these two quilts, I'd hate for them to messed up -- and doing carry on isn't going to work -- these are heavy and bulky, and I have to transfer planes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 09:10 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,010,260 times
Will they work, Yes, Recommonded No

Old 07-03-2012, 06:06 AM

4,791 posts, read 10,615,390 times
My wife ships large art quilts around the world, for shows and to deliver to customers as commissioned work.
She uses long, skinny golf club 'boxes' that our pro shop is tossing: she rolls them gently into the tube box, ships them UPS or FedEx or, even by USPS.
For really big bed quilts she uses any rectangular shipping carton that works...never a problem in shipping or, arrival condition.
I agree with flyonpa: I would ship rather than pack and check, if practical.
GL, mD

Old 07-03-2012, 08:50 AM

2,382 posts, read 5,396,639 times
As a quilter myself, I would never take them on a plane unless I HAD to... If you ship FedEx, your quilts will be tracable insured. And it would most likley cost about the same as the extra baggage charge.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:01 PM

3,484 posts, read 9,423,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
As a quilter myself, I would never take them on a plane unless I HAD to... If you ship FedEx, your quilts will be tracable insured. And it would most likley cost about the same as the extra baggage charge.
Ditto. Ship it.

Old 07-03-2012, 04:07 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,148,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I'm flying back east for a wedding, and a high school graduation celebration, and I need to carry back 2 large quilts. I check my bags, and I have a great nylon parachute type material duffel that I can fit these two quilts in easily, then roll it up tight and toss it in my suitcase.

Is this sort of material okay for checking? After all the work I put into these two quilts, I'd hate for them to messed up -- and doing carry on isn't going to work -- these are heavy and bulky, and I have to transfer planes.
If they're quality nylon bags. I've traveled extensively with them. My m.o. was buying books ... and I'd transfer all of my clothing from my suitcase into the duffel and put the books in the suitcase. I've never had them be a problem. No rips, etc. Lots of scuff marks, etc., so I know they got rough handling. But no tears. Not even the handles.

Old 07-04-2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
Well -- I get two free bags.... and shipping these things is EXPENSIVE.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:04 AM

231 posts, read 455,910 times
If its in a suitcase, what's the problem?

Old 07-04-2012, 10:22 AM

9,317 posts, read 21,010,260 times
What I have done few times, Is I used a suitcase set, (was a set of 3) each one fits inside the other.
Would pack med sized one inside the larger one, then check the both of them on out bound flight. then put the med one inside the large one and just check 1 for the return.

Since it sounds like you are on Southwest, so get two hard cases and check them both, both ways.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViennaSausages View Post
If its in a suitcase, what's the problem?
Sorry -- I wasn't clear -- I would take the quilts in the parachute bag, then when I gave them to the kids (one high school grad and one wedding!) I could roll up the empty parachute bag and toss it in my case....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel