Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 06:35 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,054,732 times

Advertisements

X and Y might be cities, countries, regions, natural attractions, manmade attractions, theme parks - anyplace you can visit. MOST people seem to/want to (by poll) visit X over Y but you'd take Y. They have to be somewhat comparable, though, not like 'most people would rather visit the Grand Canyon over your local state park in Arkansas' but you prefer the latter, in order words two places that people often COMPARE.

For instance, I'll start with two examples:

Although this isn't statistical, and in fact the stats say OTHERWISE, it's more 'in vogue' where I'm from to want to visit SF than LA, but if I had to choose I'd pick LA. Of course I'd also LOVE to visit SF, but if I had to pick one.

Or, most people would rather visit Yellowstone instead of Glacier NP, but Glacier seems more interesting to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 07:14 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,608,002 times
most ppl would rather visit boracay over el nido but i'd rather visit el nido. this could change cuz of that stupid new bourne movie unfortunately, prolly going to be a wave of morans.

thx hollywood for ruining another quality destination

Old 08-16-2012, 06:33 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times
How about: most people would rather go to Cancun in Mexico but I'd rather go just about anywhere else, but esp to Chichen Itza or Tulum, which are both nearby and much more interesting and the beach at Tulum is just as great.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:08 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
How about: most people would rather go to Cancun in Mexico but I'd rather go just about anywhere else, but esp to Chichen Itza or Tulum, which are both nearby and much more interesting and the beach at Tulum is just as great.
Funny, that is EXACTLY what I was thinking!

Here are some more...

Most people would rather go to an all-inclusive resort, but I would rather go and stay, eat, play, etc... with the locals in their environment.

Most people would rather go to Yellowstone NP, but I would rather go to Grand Teton NP just down the road.

Most people would rather go to Mount Rainier, but I would rather go to the North Cascades.

Most people (at least where I live) would rather go to the same beach for a week every summer, but I would rather go somewhere different every year.

Most people would rather go to an expensive hotel, eat every meal out, drive a rental car and then complain about how expensive travel is, but I would rather rent an apartment, prepare some of my own meals, use public transit and travel more often because it is not insanely expensive.

Most people would rather go to Thailand, but I would rather go to Cambodia and/or Vietnam.

Most people would rather fly or drive but I would rather walk, bike, paddle or sail.

Old 09-19-2020, 08:04 PM

6,376 posts, read 5,000,641 times
Most people around here would rather visit Washington's open Pacific coastline, but I prefer the north Sound/the Strait of Georgia. Long Beach and Westport are too touristy and have little substance otherwise --- the San Juans, Blaine, Camano Island, Whidbey Island etc. feel like real places where people live. The novelty of being in front of the open ocean wore off quickly for me.

Most Americans would rather visit Seattle but I've had more fun visiting Portland than I think I would've in Seattle if I didn't live here. Just a lower-key vibe and more isolated neighborhoods to explore due to the way the city is laid out.

Old 09-20-2020, 11:12 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post

Most Americans would rather visit Seattle but I've had more fun visiting Portland than I think I would've in Seattle if I didn't live here. Just a lower-key vibe and more isolated neighborhoods to explore due to the way the city is laid out.
Considering what's currently going on in Seattle and Portland, I'm guessing that most Americans don't want to visit either city.

Old 09-20-2020, 11:21 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,836,872 times
Since the rains have knocked back the wildfires, more Portland for me then! Spent a week there in 2019 on a whim, and loved the city, the people and the great access to amazing outdoor recreation. It’s such a livable place.

As for the protest zone, it’s something like one square block in a giant metro area and very easy to avoid.

Old 09-20-2020, 09:46 PM

11,795 posts, read 12,030,796 times
Most people prefer to visit Niagara Falls (Canadian side) but once away from the Falls it’s tacky, rundown tourist trap, and I prefer to visit Niagara-on-the-Lake. That is a destination worth seeing, the charming little town surrounded by the best wineries in Ontario.

Old 09-21-2020, 05:53 AM

2,230 posts, read 1,715,752 times
Most people(at least on the Internet) prefer to visit Big island/Maui/Kauai, but I prefer to stay in a hotel near Waikiki beach on my next Hawaii visit. Honolulu is actually pretty good, and Waikiki beach is wonderful despite of being touristy. Hate the hassle of inter-islands flights and rural settings of less populated islands.

Old 09-21-2020, 10:30 AM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 8 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,919,105 times
Kuwait over Israel. Even when a lot of people choose otherwise. Since earlier to later in the 2000's, Kuwait is actually winning in Peaceful Stability when comparing this one to the other example. Especially one of a kind space age dreamy, and for the Persian Gulf vastly less known than UAE or Qatar. Even people that travel often rarely enter Kuwait. Israel is highly popular. Tons of information, and attention. Almost always in the news media when Kuwait rather unheard of.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel