Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2012, 07:57 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,602,856 times

Advertisements

Thinking about Hertz or Thrifty and also it will be from Detroit's Airport. I hate all the legal fine print about damage to the vehicle if this happens. Should I get full coverage insurance from this rental agencie?

Thanks, John

Last edited by JD59; 08-23-2012 at 08:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 08:14 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
Check with your auto policy see what they cover for you. Also many credit cards provide sometype of coverage, either 1st or secondary (they pay after your auto ins pays).

Given your choice above I would pick Hertz, they dont nickel & dime you. (and will let minor thing like a scratch go). But check the car real good, take pictures @ checkout and check in of the car, and mark any damage you see on the form, and get the rep to sign off on it. If the car has lots of nicks/scratches reject the car and ask for a different one.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:27 PM

What do you think about Enterprise RENT-A-CAR? My auto insurance company gives me a discount of 5% from a airport rental. I used Enterprise before and didn't like them because they pushed full coverage.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:35 PM

9,317 posts, read 21,007,728 times
Everyone is going to push you for full coverage... It the biggest profit center they have. Never used Enterprise,

You can get discounts on just about every car company, Just google there name and discount and something will come up.

AARP AAA ..... Check all the membership org you belong to website, they will have discount code for many car rental companies.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:36 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,287,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
What do you think about Enterprise RENT-A-CAR? My auto insurance company gives me a discount of 5% from a airport rental. I used Enterprise before and didn't like them because they pushed full coverage.

I truly detest using Enterprise for car rentals. First, they are high pressure on all aspects of the transactions. Second, their vehicle classes are bizarre - Chevy Cavaliers/Cobalts as midsized, Toyota Camrys as premium. Finally, so many of the rentals that I have had from Enterprise were dirty.

I think that many of the best deals at the airport are from Alamo. Sign up for their Insiders Club for the best deals. There are also a lot of deals over on Fatwallet.com on their travel section.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:44 PM

Hertz gave me a price of 27.95 a day and also told me to use my auto insurance. I just found this discount from Hertz, AAA Members Save $50 on a Weekly Rental.
At the Airport

Thanks for all your help.

Last edited by JD59; 08-23-2012 at 09:00 PM..

Old 08-24-2012, 08:33 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,924,409 times
> Should I get full coverage insurance from this rental agencie?

The rental car company wants you to (1) buy full insurance coverage, (2) buy the gas from them at a discounted price and (3) upgrade from your reservation. If you are a visible noob they will spend a long time trying to get you to do these things.

> they are high pressure on all aspects of the transactions.

ALL car companies do this, there is no difference. Unless you are a regular customer and their computer shows there's no point.

The CDW (collision damage waiver, i.e. insurance) is a complex subject. Yes, they charge too much. Maybe, your credit card or home car insurance provides coverage. Even if you have coverage they may try to hit you up for things not included (lost rentals while the car is being repaired seems to be a current favorite). If you have other coverabe, are generally a safe driver and you inspect the car carefully then declining the coverage may be a good bet. But remember, it IS a bet. Also keep in mind that if a collision gets covered by your regular car policy your rates may rise.

About gas- always agree to return full. Buying the gas at their discounted rate works only if you can manage to return the car nearly empty. This is not a game you want to play.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:14 PM

9,912 posts, read 24,660,570 times
Personally, I like Hertz. Never, ever hassled me about insurance, and definitely not in my experience if you are a member of their Gold program, which you can now join for free https://www.hertz.com/rentacar/ememb...tactDetails.do Enterprise got 3 strikes and they're out. Man, the service is terrible in comparison, hassle, high pressure and treat you like a deadbeat. I can't figure out why people go there at least for this one particular location which earned a spot on my avoid list, but I suspect it is because they assume all the rental experiences are the same. I get better prices from Hertz too oddly enough (people usually think Hertz is expensive and sometimes it is, but sometimes it's not). The only question they ask me at the counter is if I want to purchase the full tank of fuel option (no thanks). Everything else is stored in my profile and they don't ask about it, including the insurance. At a large airport location you don't even have to go to the counter; the sign (and email or text message) will direct you right to your car. Sign up for Gold while it's free (it may remain free and there are usually ways to get it for free, but technically in the past it has cost 60 bucks to sign up initially). On your first Gold rental though you'll still have to go to the counter.

As far as insurance, assuming you own a car and thus have some kind of auto coverage, you are good for liability. For damage to the rental car, you need to have coverage from either collision/comp insurance on your own car (usually covers rentals but check to be sure as some don't) or perhaps rental coverage from your credit card (generally only pays after your own insurance, but if you don't have collision/comp like me or your ins doesn't cover rentals then it does still pay). If none of those apply then you should probably buy the rental company's expensive damage insurance. Or try to get a new credit card. You pretty much need a credit card by the way, all but impossible to rent without. Use caution with a debit card. Some locations accept these but the holds it puts on your bank account can be substantial. If you don't own a car at all and have no insurance you probably also want the liability insurance supplement. That would add up fast and you might want to look at the car sharing outfits instead (Zipcar, if they have cars where you're going) because their rates include all insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel