Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 09:49 PM

2 posts, read 3,509 times

Advertisements

Is it dangerous to visit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2012, 10:26 PM

2,918 posts, read 5,609,985 times
no. just use common sense.

Old 01-21-2012, 05:12 PM

5,921 posts, read 13,859,918 times
Depends on what reason you go there for ...

Old 01-21-2012, 06:35 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,867,681 times
Could be if you are a naive gringo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazca View Post
Is it dangerous to visit?

Old 01-22-2012, 02:31 AM

16,391 posts, read 30,939,884 times
Yes

Old 01-23-2012, 11:00 AM

6,420 posts, read 11,599,151 times
Probably not. But go to Tecate instead. Even less likely to have trouble there, and it's (IMO) much nicer than Tijuana.

Old 01-23-2012, 05:17 PM

990 posts, read 2,558,270 times
IMO, all of Mexico is a dangerous place a this time.

Why tempt fate?

I'll sit back now and let the masses crucify me for this opinion.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:05 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
They aren't targetting innocent tourists. Mexico is only dangerous if you have cartel connections of some kind. Especially if you've given them reason to be mad at you or owe them money you don't intend to pay back.

Old 01-28-2012, 03:21 PM

2,516 posts, read 5,689,127 times
Malamute, please refrain from giving out bad advice when you clearly know nothing of the issues going on in Tijuana and Juarez right now. Or don't even bother to check your facts.

OP, yes, most border towns are dangerous and have been for quite some time. When I lived in El Paso, Americans were freqeuntly getting stabbed and robbed when trying to cross back into the US as that little area no one seems to have any jurisdiction over. My 2nd trip crossing the bridge back into El Paso I watched paramedics tend to a white american male who had been stabbed and robbed.

Tijuana's crime rate isn't high compared to some US cities based on size, and plenty of people travel there without an incident. But there have been numerous articles on the escalation of violence, killings and kidnappings in Tijuana involving tourist. Mexico has statistically become the world leader in kidnapping for profit. Exercise caution, don't wear any expensive jewelry, travel with someone, pay attention to your surroundings and use common sense and you should be fine.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:07 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
Malamute, please refrain from giving out bad advice when you clearly know nothing of the issues going on in Tijuana and Juarez right now. Or don't even bother to check your facts.

OP, yes, most border towns are dangerous and have been for quite some time. When I lived in El Paso, Americans were freqeuntly getting stabbed and robbed when trying to cross back into the US as that little area no one seems to have any jurisdiction over. My 2nd trip crossing the bridge back into El Paso I watched paramedics tend to a white american male who had been stabbed and robbed.

Tijuana's crime rate isn't high compared to some US cities based on size, and plenty of people travel there without an incident. But there have been numerous articles on the escalation of violence, killings and kidnappings in Tijuana involving tourist. Mexico has statistically become the world leader in kidnapping for profit. Exercise caution, don't wear any expensive jewelry, travel with someone, pay attention to your surroundings and use common sense and you should be fine.
I live right on the border. When did you live in El Paso? If you lived here when people were getting stabbed on the bridges, that was actually some time ago *before* Juarez got so bad. People get stabbed and robbed in El Paso all the time yet it's ranked the safest city in the world.

99.9% of the people killed in the cartel drug war are associated in some way with the cartels. Sometimes innocent children of a drug trafficker that were brought along as shields in a bad drug deal but you cannot name a single non-hispanic American or Canadian who has been killed in Juarez in the past few years. Yes some US citizens -- born in the USA to Mexican parents have been involved - and killed or have been arrested as carjackers and sicarios but they are connected.

The cartels are not going after innocent American citizens. The war is between members of the cartels. If they wanted to target American citizens, they could easily pick them off I-10 or paisano st. in the morning commutes.

Normal street crime is a problem - and always has been even when these cities were called safe. If you take a big 4x4 chevy truck over there, you can end up losing it - but that's just as true in El Paso - again the safest city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel