Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2012, 11:32 AM

96 posts, read 306,240 times

Advertisements

I know there are a few posts about this already, but I read some of them and didn't find exactly what I am looking for. I want to know how desolate I-20 is compared to I-10 through Texas heading West. I would be coming from Tulsa, Oklahoma and it seems like it might be a good 'compromise' route for me because I don't want to do I-40 or I-10. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2012, 09:50 PM

18,215 posts, read 25,850,946 times
It's been a few years since I've been on I-20 (back when gas was $2 a gallon) --OK that would be several years lol, but I've been on that road a few times in my day. Coming out of Ft. Worth it is your basic Texas Hill Country going past Abilene (about 150 miles west of Ft. Worth) and then by the time you get maybe 15 miles east of Big Spring you're hitting some desert, and Midland/Odessa would be all desert. Midland to the I-20 dead end is a little over a two hour drive. It's another 150 something miles from the I-20 dead end to El Paso.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:59 AM

96 posts, read 306,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
It's been a few years since I've been on I-20 (back when gas was $2 a gallon) --OK that would be several years lol, but I've been on that road a few times in my day. Coming out of Ft. Worth it is your basic Texas Hill Country going past Abilene (about 150 miles west of Ft. Worth) and then by the time you get maybe 15 miles east of Big Spring you're hitting some desert, and Midland/Odessa would be all desert. Midland to the I-20 dead end is a little over a two hour drive. It's another 150 something miles from the I-20 dead end to El Paso.

So, it's desolate? If you've been on I-10 how would you compare the two? On the map it looks like there are more towns on the I-20 route.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:36 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,486,062 times
It's the most boring drive I've ever made. Be sure to fill up with gas. At some points it seemed like there would be an hours drive between gas stations.

Old 09-16-2012, 02:59 PM

Location: A circle of Hell so insidious, infernal and odious, Dante dared not map it
623 posts, read 1,225,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
It's the most boring drive I've ever made. Be sure to fill up with gas. At some points it seemed like there would be an hours drive between gas stations.
Seconded.

I did that drive and it's pretty dull for most of the drive. I only did it because I needed to take a less mountainous and less snow potential route, because the car I took wasn't very reliable. It also takes significantly longer than the 40/17 way. You also said you wanted to avoid the 10, but to get to Phoenix on that route it's unavoidable, because the 20 links to the 10 a couple hours east of El Paso.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:39 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,526,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl67 View Post
I know there are a few posts about this already, but I read some of them and didn't find exactly what I am looking for. I want to know how desolate I-20 is compared to I-10 through Texas heading West. I would be coming from Tulsa, Oklahoma and it seems like it might be a good 'compromise' route for me because I don't want to do I-40 or I-10. Thanks.

Uh...Texas is the second most populous state in America. It really isn't all sand and sagebrush.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:51 PM

18,215 posts, read 25,850,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonerGirl67 View Post
So, it's desolate? If you've been on I-10 how would you compare the two? On the map it looks like there are more towns on the I-20 route.
Yes, pretty much so. I've been on I-10 on different stretches of different trips pretty much from Pensacola, Florida. There are a number of small towns on I-20 for sure and most have some services but not all. Abilene, Midland and Odessa are fairly similar in population and I generally have stopped and either fueled up, spent the night, or both at these cities. I have a couple friends who live in Midland so I generally have stayed there, but it's been a few years! Tip: the humidity changes when you get past Big Spring. You're climbing a tad in elevation and you're getting into a dryer climate.

Question: If you're not pressed for time and can spare a couple days for a bit of sight seeing once you get past El Paso, I can give ya a couple alternate routes going through New Mexico. Sounds like you've been through both I-10 and I-40 your fair share of times!

Old 09-16-2012, 07:57 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Uh...Texas is the second most populous state in America. It really isn't all sand and sagebrush.
Well parts of I-20 are. As for it being a boring drive, I've only gone as far as a little west of Monahans (this was from Dallas), but I don't find it boring. I think the plains and the desert have their own sort of beauty.

Old 07-30-2022, 11:45 AM

26 posts, read 16,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Well parts of I-20 are. As for it being a boring drive, I've only gone as far as a little west of Monahans (this was from Dallas), but I don't find it boring. I think the plains and the desert have their own sort of beauty.
The plains of the Permian basin used to be charming, but they were destroyed by farming. Now it’s noting but bone dry cotton fields without any other vegetation across a landscape as flat as a pancake from Abilene to monahans. Once you hit Monahans it gets slightly better as there aren’t any more agricultural fields, and by the time you get on I-10 you can see mountains in the distance.

Old 07-31-2022, 08:44 PM

16,554 posts, read 10,621,516 times
Both of them are desolate. On I-10 heading west, once you're past the Hill Country (maybe Junction, I don't recall), almost the only services you can find are at Fort Stockton. There's a little bit available at Van Horn, but that town did not look particularly safe to me as I drove past it. And that's basically it until you get to El Paso. On I-20 heading west, after Abeline, there's Midland and Odessa (neither of which impressed me) and a few other places. Personally, I found I-20 to be insanely boring. Flat, featureless, just a whole lot of nothing. I-10 is a lot more scenic, with mountains coming up along the highway for much of the distance.

Be sure to map these things out by yourself, beforehand. Texas does not post signs saying how much farther until the next exit with services, like many other states do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel