Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2012, 12:54 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,166,253 times

Advertisements

So, I have my first international trip coming up in the next week. Our plan (myself and a few friends) was to originally go to London for a week, but last minute we decided we'd rather split it up, half the time in Paris, half the time in London. FYI, we are all US passport holders and citizens.

I plan on checking a bag and carrying on a small bag, as do my friends. However, since we purchased our airfrance tickets last minute, will we have to go through security/customs again at Heathrow?

I'm arriving to Heathrow at 6:40AM, waiting for my friends flight (to arrive around 8AM), then we have a flight to Paris around noon. Since this is not really a "connection" will I have to go through the entire process again at Heathrow to get on the plane to France? Get my bag at baggage claim, exit and go back through to arrivals? Also, I'm a US citizen, so I'm thinking about any extra security there.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 03:14 PM

1,872 posts, read 6,493,511 times
If it's two separate tickets, which it sounds like it is, then yes, you will have to go through immigration, claim your checked bag, then check-in for your Paris flight and go through security. Depending on the airlines, you may have to change terminals as well (very easy to do).

Everyone has to go through the same security regardless of citizenship.

FYI, at Terminal 5 (British Airways), even if it's a connection (i.e. you do not go through immigration/customs or claim your checked luggage), you still have to go through the security checkpoint after an international arrival before making your connection.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:40 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,291,129 times
And remember when you're leaving that CDG is the WORST AIRPORT IN THE WORLD when it comes to delays/problems/lines/trying to get anything accomplished.

If you're on the same airline, likely your bag will be interlined, and you won't have to claim it. Otherwise Heathrow is very busy, but not difficult to navigate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel