Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2012, 10:54 AM

2,149 posts, read 4,153,177 times

Advertisements

In the early stages of planning a trip with my girlfriend in March. We'll be staying in Barcelona for 6 nights, got the airfare and stuff figured out but hotel remains an issue for us somewhat. We are both in our mid 20s, and we're already looking forward to seeing the museums, markets, etc. I guess my question is what would be the best area to stay in? I've heard great things about Las Ramblas, but then my girlfriend sent me an article talking about prostitutes, drug dealers, and pick pockets, so I don't know how bad or seedy it is. I was exchanging info with a travel agent and she recommended the Gallery Hotel, Hotel Granados 83 and Grand Hotel Central but she seems to be giving me 4 star hotels as opposed to 3 star hotels. We really just need a comfortable room to sleep and shower in so any advice is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2012, 11:56 AM

702 posts, read 3,010,902 times
Check out the the Passeig de Gracia neighborhood, not on the main street but on the quiet side streets. We stayed at The Praktik in Carrer de la Diputacio. It is simple clean and basic in a quiet neighborhood and very affordable. It is a short walk to Passeig de Gracia where you see all of the masterpieces by Gaudi. Las Ramblas is very loud, touristy and probably has its share of pickpockets, but it generally feels safe, though I haven't been there at night. Good luck.

Old 11-03-2012, 10:31 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,741,099 times
I'm facing this for next November. I haven't decided where to stay, but I'm considering the Exaimple district. A little more "normal", but still close to everything and with lots of restaurants. I'm also considering renting an apartment, which may be cheaper. I haven't looked that much yet, but I think there are some good choices that could help with costs.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:16 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,104,547 times
I highly recommend Hotel Casa Camper. It's a little pricey but well worth the money IMO. It's just a couple of blocks off Las Ramblas on a quiet side street and a short walk to the metro. I personally wouldn't want a hotel right on Las Ramblas b/c the constant noise and business would exhaust me. Yes, there are pickpockets and ruffians there just as there are in any major city but using common sense and good judgement will mean you won't have any problems. Just be sure to brush up on some of the common tricks used by pickpockets the world over so you know what to look for. In almost a week in BCN I never once saw any pickpocketing, crime, etc... and never felt unsafe at all.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:01 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,875,069 times
Take a coat. March is chilly and rainy in Barcelona. The sea is still too cold for swimming.

Old 11-06-2012, 08:01 AM

3,010 posts, read 6,308,341 times
My wife and I had no problems when we were in Las Ramblas and enjoyed it. When we went it was mid September and the area was packed (Midday) . Like any crowded area, just be vigilant with your personal property and I would carry my wallet in the front pocket. Also, we only carried copies of our passports and left the originals locked up.

Old 11-06-2012, 03:35 PM

2,565 posts, read 5,515,853 times
I stayed in a hostel in Plaza Real right off of Las Ramblas and really loved it. I live in NYC so I have a fairly high tolerance for "seedy" I suppose. There were definitely people selling drugs, but that was all over Barcelona from what I could tell.

And keep your wits about you at night - my friend got mugged twice in about 10 minutes, which was almost worth it just for the story to tell.

For a day trip, you can go check out the monastery at [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Maria_de_Montserrat]Montserrat[/ur]. It's about an hour or so train ride out of Barcelona, and you can take a cable car up to the top. Really great sight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel