Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2007, 02:23 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,906,202 times

Advertisements

I find the crosses and markers sad....I recall driving west, I think towards New Mexico...anyway, there were 8 large white crosses....an entire family was killed in an accident.

I can understand what njkate has posted. There was a similar memorial on a less traveled road, but still, traffic was tied up as people were stopping to look.
Cars parked on the median???....people should know better than that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2007, 04:50 PM

4,739 posts, read 8,373,269 times
I just know that when I drive with my kids and wife in the car i'm very aware of whats going on around me, I hope to make it through life without haveing a death on my conscience and things like wreaths and signs saying prepare to meet thy maker have me looking for tractor trailors in the crossing and all kinds of hazzards. I've seen all the final destination movies and that does'nt help either.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:00 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
I respect the need for families and friends to honor the memory of their loved ones who have been tragically killed in an auto accident, but I don't think the roadside is the appropriate place to do it.

To me, it's one more distraction on an already treacherous highway.

Old 10-19-2007, 05:04 PM

558 posts, read 2,248,242 times
We have them here in S. Florida, too. Too many... There was a big article in our newspaper today about traffic accidents deaths being way down, and I wonder if these memorials serve to remind people to drive more carefully??

Old 10-19-2007, 05:11 PM

6,351 posts, read 21,528,307 times
Between the 40 and 41 mile markers on Interstate 71 in Kentucky (North of Louisville) there is a sign: "SITE OF FATAL BUS CRASH MAY 24, 1988" A wrong-way drunken driver collided with a church bus returning from a day at an amusement park in Ohio. For further details, google "Kentucky bus crash"...

Old 01-20-2008, 10:55 AM

48 posts, read 151,657 times
My friend died on his motor bike in cross-wind, no one really knows what happened as it was at 5:30 am on his way to work and no one was there, they think he may have aqua-planed. Anyway he got thrown into a roadsign and was pronounced dead at the scene. That was a year and a half a go, we still go up there and tie flowers to the sign posts, and there is a pic of him up there,and a message from his mum. The sign is on a grass verge and me and a friend planted a shrub there for him.

As he has no real grave-he was cremated, that is the place we go to think and talk to him, as that was where he spent his last minuets of life, you just feel like he's there, instead of talking to him at a place he's never been (the cemetery) just feel a close connection to him there. It makes me incredibly sad to think he was there alone dying in the rain and no one had a clue, it helps with closure visiting that spot as it makes it more real. He was 20 years old... Luckily for us there is a lay by where you can park (meant for people taking a break on journeys) right next to it.

When it was his bday we all went up there and lit him a tea light and had a beer for him.

It's just nice to be able to do things like that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel