Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 03:36 PM

6,126 posts, read 10,108,604 times

Advertisements

Never traveled overseas alone, but when I've traveled alone in the US it's been fun. It's nice to do whatever you feel like doing without worrying about pleasing anyone else. And you can make friends along the way!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2013, 03:39 PM

180 posts, read 479,618 times
I LOVE traveling alone. I travel domestically and internationally by myself. Most recently I went to Nepal and trekked in the Himalaya's for 3 weeks alone and didn't have any problems whatsoever. I make friends if I want to be sociable and if I don't want company, I don't have to. Yes, as a female you have to be smart and sensible but don't feel bad about being by yourself. Think of it as total freedom to see and do what you want on your vacation on you watch. I'm finalizing my trip to New Zealand....alone! You got this! Now time to figure out where you want to go.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:39 PM

2,186 posts, read 2,920,148 times
I've road tripped all over North America by myself. I was given the third degree by Canadian customs officers once who searched my car and bags because according to them it was suspicious for someone to be traveling alone when not on business. That was the first I'd ever heard of it being unusual. Silly Canadians.

When going overseas I've always traveled with people or to visit people, but I wouldn't rule out a solo overseas vacation. Sounds like fun.

Old 01-24-2013, 03:44 PM

102,211 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
I've road tripped all over North America by myself. I was given the third degree by Canadian customs officers once who searched my car and bags because according to them it was suspicious for someone to be traveling alone when not on business. That was the first I'd ever heard of it being unusual. Silly Canadians.
That's crazy! Lots of solo drivers go into Canada every week, for shopping or for a weekend getaway, or a longer vacation. I wonder if that was just an excuse, and that for some reason, you may have fit some kind of profile they were looking for, or they had a quota of searches to meet, or something.

Old 01-24-2013, 04:56 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Same here! While it is not for everyone, I love solo travel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascension2012 View Post
I travel alone all the time, and always have a blast. Not only that, when you travel solo, you have alot more opportunities to meet new people, because as a single youre alot more approachable.

Old 01-24-2013, 06:00 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,418,339 times
Definitely fun. OP, in your situation, traveling will actually benefit you. I've always traveled alone and came away with great experiences and grew as a person.

Old 01-24-2013, 07:37 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plzeň View Post
This is hilarious ... and very familiar.

As much as I love Canada, Customs Canada is staffed by overly uptight douche bags at their borders. From Seattle, I would go to Vancouver about once a month ... for NO reason other than it is interesting and felt like a different country. I've been anywhere from 50 to 100 times. I would say that, at least 10 times, they have been really hostile, the questioning was too long, I've had to open my trunk, and one time I was sent into the actual immigration offices for further questioning. I have also been grilled when changing planes in Toronto or Montreal to go to Europe, aboard Air Canada, as in "When was the last time you were in Canada?" yet you are holding boarding passes for all your flight segments.

My passport has been slid through their scanner many, many times. Why don't they just "profile" me as a "regular." Heck, they have a Nexus lane for those who commute between the US and Canada for their jobs, at the borders with Washington and New York states. In a way, it's discriminatory against singles, a demographic which is now more apt to travel on their own. And, you're right, if I've crossed the border with a woman in the passenger seat, they basically look at your passports and say "Have a nice stay."

I googled "Customs Canada rude" and got this:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...1181102AAcyt8V

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 01-24-2013 at 07:51 PM.. Reason: added link to story

Old 01-24-2013, 07:59 PM

4,208 posts, read 4,457,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katykat01 View Post
I've posted on here before about being single for the past 5+ years because I ended a LTR, had my life fall apart at the same time as that ended, and having spent the past few years rebuilding my life. Well, I'm finally settled into my new career and new city and have some vacation time coming up. I used to travel outside the US a lot and have missed it, so I'm thinking about going to Europe alone for a week. Most of my friends are in relationships. The ones who aren't, either don't want to go where I want or aren't friends I could tolerate being around for an entire week. So that leaves me traveling alone.

At first, I was kind of scared of traveling alone because I won't have anyone to share the memories with or take pictures or any of that fun travel stuff. But even when I travel with friends, I often wind up doing things alone because we don't always want to do the same things. I've flown alone overseas and within the US numerous times, so that's not a worry. Mostly, I just don't want to feel bad because I'm alone. Also, I'm planning on going somewhere I haven't been, so there's a slight safety concern but not a big one.

Do any of you travel alone? Do you recommend it?

Yes, and it is great. Do your own due dilligence (a few suggestions get tour videos of target region from your local library (Rick Steves etc...) and figure out (based on your interests) things you definitely have to see / do. Then depending on how much of a 'scheduler' you are, plan accordingly. Basic travel safety tips and everything from packing recommendations you can find online. There is something especially liberating traveling light and spending time with locals whenever you can or just fellow travelers you may happen to meet along the way. I personally enjoyed walking tours in historic cities where you can meet others easily and talk to (most often) a local guide well versed in the city / area.

I've enjoyed traveling alone since I finished College and started with themed 'road trips' throughout the USA and then trips overseas - all europe to date. I felt safe in every country I've been in except for my own stupidity (that's a whole other story), the due diligence planning portion will weed out riskiest areas or 'times' to visit certain areas. If you are member of AAA use your membership to get literature maps (in English) before you travel - AAA membership is well worth it especially for MAPS, and more maps (you can begin sketching out future trips while you're in the adrenaline rush of creative travel mode.

Depending on where and how many cities / countries you plan to be in here are a few tips. All transportation City passes are well worth the convenience and often have additional discounts on the most well known tourist / cultural sites. Get a certain amount of the local currency before you go . If you live in a big city find the local foreign currency exchange that specializes in currency for travelers (I found they had better rates than using my primary top 20 USA bank!); and let your credit card companies know which countries you will be travleing too. Booking.com is a good site to check for lodging - I always found this the most important aspect for me - I don't like high end places - since I tend to be out and about the majority of time and find paying a premium for convenient location in a mid range budget hotel with comfortable bed for rest and large breakfast buffet to be the best value i.e. convenience to transportation / sites and saving food costs. Load up in the morning and treat the day as an expedition exploring a new 'world'. Ask locals about food places (docents in museums hardly ever have people talk to them, and tend to have years of experience in the city) for evening and enjoy wherever you are traveling!

I'm jealous now I have to plan a trip!

Old 01-24-2013, 10:09 PM

292 posts, read 357,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katykat01 View Post
Do any of you travel alone? Do you recommend it?
Another yes vote. You can do this. My last major vacation was a RTW done in one month! Like you, I had limited time. Remember that old question, "if you don't have time to do it right, do you have time to do it over"?
In this case the answer is "absolutely".

What I found:
Travel light, one bag if possible.
Stay in a hostel or boutique hotel where you can socialize a little. Even if you were looking forward to some solitude, it's nice to share stories, tips, maybe a drink in the lounge.
If you want some casual conversation, carry an icebreaker--a bestseller, the travelocity gnome, the Steelers' Terrible Towel--you get the drift.
Always be flexible, but remember that planning and researching can be a lot of fun. In fact, I communicated with, then met, another woman who helped me on Tripadvisor. We're still friends 3 years later.

Old 01-24-2013, 10:52 PM

438 posts, read 660,631 times
I am in my 50's and I travel alone, often with no set plan. I traveled in europe and africa alone on a whim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel