Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 04:39 PM

6 posts, read 71,223 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I'm going to travel from California to Minnesota by train, but my passport and driver's permit are both expired. I do have a High School ID but I graduated last year (I still look young though lol), my SSN, my birth certificate. I'm 19 now.

I found this (down below) on this site: It's not the Amtrak site but it does refer to Amtrak
http://traveltips.usatoday.com/need-trav…

. ."If the traveler does not have a government issued I.D. with a photo, a secondary form of identification, such as a student I.D. card, must accompany a government issued identification without a photo."

Would I be able to get by with just my expired passport, expired driver's permit, my high school ID, my SSN, and my birth certificate? Or is it kinda risky? I don't wanna get stopped or anything because I don't have valid government issued ID with a photo on it. I'm afraid that even if I'm correct and I should technically be okay, that I'll get problems anyways.

If I can, I'd rather get to where I need to now, rather than have to wait a few weeks to renew my passport, or get a State ID which will both take a while. Driver's license is outta question, not getting that (yet).

From the amtrak site: http://www.amtrak.com/passenger-identifi…

. ."Two pieces of identification, at least one of which is issued by a government authority"

So I was thinking my SSN and my birth certificate along with my High school ID, and my expired IDs should be enough. I'm assuming Birth Certificate and SSN are government issued.

Assuming it is enough, other than the random ID checks that are also mentioned in the second link above, are there any other times I am going to have to show my "IDs"? Should I call them (Amtrak) or something and ask maybe? Or would they be too busy, or would it take too long or w/e. lol xD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2013, 05:29 PM

3,440 posts, read 6,545,596 times
I would bet you could get a state photo ID if you told them you needed it quickly. Worth a try. You shouldn't have waited so long to get your stuff together before traveling. It's alway important to have identification on you when you travel out of state.

Old 01-27-2013, 05:36 PM

Well, can't help it. I'm kinda known for being a last minute man

Old 01-27-2013, 06:16 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,941,000 times
Passports are usually accepted up to a couple of years after expiration. It will only take you a couple of minutes to go to the DMV and get a state ID. In some states, they hand it to you still warm out of the laminator.

Old 01-27-2013, 11:41 PM

1,221 posts, read 2,110,067 times
I'd say you should be more than fine with what you have. For that matter, I've taken Amtrak 100+ times, and not once has my ID ever been checked, nor is it something taken particularly seriously in my experience. If you have the ticket, you're good.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:53 AM

Cool thanks, I was kinda worrying too much about the possible consequences I guess. Seems like they probably just check for the train ticket. Sounds safe enough.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:10 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,041,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneybag1010 View Post
Okay, so I'm going to travel from California to Minnesota by train, but my passport and driver's permit are both expired. I do have a High School ID but I graduated last year (I still look young though lol), my SSN, my birth certificate. I'm 19 now.

I found this (down below) on this site: It's not the Amtrak site but it does refer to Amtrak
http://traveltips.usatoday.com/need-trav…

. ."If the traveler does not have a government issued I.D. with a photo, a secondary form of identification, such as a student I.D. card, must accompany a government issued identification without a photo."

Would I be able to get by with just my expired passport, expired driver's permit, my high school ID, my SSN, and my birth certificate? Or is it kinda risky? I don't wanna get stopped or anything because I don't have valid government issued ID with a photo on it. I'm afraid that even if I'm correct and I should technically be okay, that I'll get problems anyways.

If I can, I'd rather get to where I need to now, rather than have to wait a few weeks to renew my passport, or get a State ID which will both take a while. Driver's license is outta question, not getting that (yet).

From the amtrak site: http://www.amtrak.com/passenger-identifi…

. ."Two pieces of identification, at least one of which is issued by a government authority"

So I was thinking my SSN and my birth certificate along with my High school ID, and my expired IDs should be enough. I'm assuming Birth Certificate and SSN are government issued.

Assuming it is enough, other than the random ID checks that are also mentioned in the second link above, are there any other times I am going to have to show my "IDs"? Should I call them (Amtrak) or something and ask maybe? Or would they be too busy, or would it take too long or w/e. lol xD
I'm not sure we can even be certain this is you asking this question.

Old 01-28-2013, 07:21 AM

61,662 posts, read 87,041,175 times
I didn't know we need an picture ID to travel with Amtrak ( why?). Does the same apply to Greyhound??

Old 01-28-2013, 08:13 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,027,915 times
Amtrak began requiring a photo ID about 10 years ago.

OP--Your SS card is not valid ID, put it away.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:57 AM

2,079 posts, read 4,950,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I didn't know we need an picture ID to travel with Amtrak ( why?). Does the same apply to Greyhound??

No, you do not NEED a picture ID card when traveling on board AMTRAK. Identification checks are random, based. Usually, only 10% of passengers are asked to show identification.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel