Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 03:11 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times

Advertisements

VERY important while INSIDE YNP... Drive EARLY, drive LATE. Hike mid-day when all the families are DRIVING.

And YES, do take the time to read up and enjoy the WY history, Indian Wars of Sheridan / Buffalo area. I was at Wagon Box Fight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia memorial site in 1975, and a VERY old gal was there with a flat tire... Her dad had fought there, and she was a historical author / WY teacher.

I changed her tire and enjoyed the conversation / stories. She invited me to come back to see her in the nursing home... She wanted to give me one of her books. Shoulda-done that! just to have something to share with my own grandkids.

Yes, been awhile since I ate in Story, so save your money, but DO eat steak OFTEN and wherever you get LOCAL recommendations (plenty on WY thread).

But... I have to suggest NOT going to Cheyenne on 25 and west on 80. you will miss "hay-stack-rock" on 287 (which is much prettier and FASTER). Not marked, but you will note a BIG rock the size of a haystack in a meadow north of Ted's place. That rock would get covered with hay every year and 'Counted' and bought by the Hay buyer's from US Cavalry. (so goes the tale...). The sweeping curves and nice area around 'State line' is very fun for 70 mph 'cruising'. (Even more fun driving an 18 wheeler in blizzard, BTDT ~ 1,000x). Poudre is another option, and DON"T miss Snowy Range if you are so close. http://byways.org/explore/byways/2054
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2017, 07:14 PM

1 posts, read 728 times
Renting a camper to travel from Denver to Moab Utah. What is a good way to spend traveling with scenic views and places to stay(camper sites) on the way and back. What is good for 5 day travel to and from?

Old 02-20-2017, 07:47 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,333,676 times
What time are you travelling?

Beside the big national parks around Moab (Arches and Canyonlands) I would also pass by the Colorado National Monument around Grand Junction. Actually the I70 from Denver to Grand Junction is quite nice to drive in terms of scenery. There are also several nice campsites along the Eagle river. We did it the opposite direction and stayed at Vail,CO for a night, where really high-end hotels and resorts are offerding very good rates in the summer.

You may also want to make a short detour towards Montrose,CO - the Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP is worth visiting. If you want to avoid the I70 you could take a southern detour via Gunnison,CO. You would then take the HWY285 SB from Denver and turn onto the HWY50 in Poncho Springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel