Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2021, 04:55 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times

Advertisements

Seattle or Victoria.

Long day for me, but it's doable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2021, 12:32 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 7 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,919,105 times
If I sleep well, at least 2 to 3 hours minimal. Especially with train. 141 Miles/227km. Constanta to Bucharest Romania is a solid occurrence that I fulfilled frequently. Almost nobody knows how easy it is without a Hotel. I never really got bored between these vast varying regions.

Old 05-07-2021, 12:41 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,889,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I'm just curious to hear how far people would travel to a destination (shopping, beach, mountains, museum, etc.) and come back home in the same day?

I know it's good to have the time and money to be able to at least spend the night when going somewhere that's far away, but if these or other responsibilities is a consideration, sometimes the enjoyment of changing the scenery for a long day can be worth it.

An example: Someone four hours from the beach decides to get on the road one Saturday at 7:00 am, be at the beach at 11:00 am, enjoys it for several hours, takes a dip in the ocean, and is back on the road by 5:00 pm, and home by 9:00 p.m. (it seems doable in theory anyway). Saves having to pack and book a hotel room, etc. as long as you can figure out how to dry out a wet swimsuit.

Is this worth it? Or too exhausting? I'm just curious to see what the breaking point is for most people (3, 4, 5, 8 hours each way??). When does the chore of driving a long distance exceed the pleasure of enjoying whatever destination you're wanting to experience? Does the type of attraction you're going to matter (i.e. maximum driving distance differs depending on whether you're going to the beach vs. shopping or cultural, etc.)? And what impact does whether you go alone or with someone have?

Of course, longer vacations are ideal, but if you want to break up the monotony between vacations on a pretty weekend day trips are an idea and it just had me thinking of this question.
Two hours is it for me. If someone else wants to drive I can do three. any more than that just isn't worth it.

Luckily i live within two hours drive of both my kids and a good 5 hours from my mom (Whom I don't like to visit).

Old 05-10-2021, 11:37 AM

119 posts, read 59,106 times
3 hours one way for the day. More than that is overnight.

Old 05-12-2021, 02:35 AM

60 posts, read 35,180 times
It completely depends on the destination and what I want to do. If I want to sightsee in my car and just drive, I'll go 7-9 hours- round trip. If I want to spend time at a certain destination for the day, and only a day- 1.5 hours to 2.5 hours each way is decent and will allow me to spend several hours at the destination. I could go longer if I want to spend time at a destination but would prefer to stay overnight if I have the time.

If I am on a road trip- 7-10 hours, and preferably 400-700 miles per day. On a long trip- I'll only drive a 700-mile day to get past a boring stretch or in order to spend most of the next day at a specific destination. I try to average 400-500 miles per day if I need to get somewhere fast even if I drive like crazy for one day.

If I have the time and want to explore an interesting route, I will try to average 100-300 miles per day.

Just my take,

Last edited by gregory77; 05-12-2021 at 02:50 AM..

Old 05-12-2021, 02:10 PM

10,304 posts, read 6,837,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I'm just curious to hear how far people would travel to a destination (shopping, beach, mountains, museum, etc.) and come back home in the same day?

I know it's good to have the time and money to be able to at least spend the night when going somewhere that's far away, but if these or other responsibilities is a consideration, sometimes the enjoyment of changing the scenery for a long day can be worth it.

An example: Someone four hours from the beach decides to get on the road one Saturday at 7:00 am, be at the beach at 11:00 am, enjoys it for several hours, takes a dip in the ocean, and is back on the road by 5:00 pm, and home by 9:00 p.m. (it seems doable in theory anyway). Saves having to pack and book a hotel room, etc. as long as you can figure out how to dry out a wet swimsuit.

Is this worth it? Or too exhausting? I'm just curious to see what the breaking point is for most people (3, 4, 5, 8 hours each way??). When does the chore of driving a long distance exceed the pleasure of enjoying whatever destination you're wanting to experience? Does the type of attraction you're going to matter (i.e. maximum driving distance differs depending on whether you're going to the beach vs. shopping or cultural, etc.)? And what impact does whether you go alone or with someone have?

Of course, longer vacations are ideal, but if you want to break up the monotony between vacations on a pretty weekend day trips are an idea and it just had me thinking of this question.
Depends on the mode of transportation.

Truck? Whatever my HOS says I can legally do.

Car? About 1400 miles.

Motorcycle? About 1650 miles (Bun burner.)

Horse? About 45 miles (but they won't talk to me afterwards!)

Bicycle? Depends on the topography, but around 60 to 175 miles.

All of these modes require operating a vehicle (except the horse) for extended periods of time. This creates fatigue. Fatigue can be lethal. And a mad horse isn't a holiday, either!

Old 05-13-2021, 09:28 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
I’ll say 3 hours, maybe 4 for specific events.

Old 05-13-2021, 10:53 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,300,736 times
Two hours is my max for a "day trip". Gone are the days when I would Road Trip to Las Vegas with some fellow cast members from Disneyland after work and be back before our next shift.

Old 05-13-2021, 11:00 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
We have done 2 hour trips. We are exactly that far from Jacksonville, FL and Charleston, SC, so those two places offer several opportunities to do things.

It’s one thing to go somewhere and spend a few hours, but it’s having to drive home that sets the distance limit.

Some friends live 2 1/2 hours away and they want us to drive up for dinner, but it’s just too far to be fun. When we go there we stay over.

Old 05-13-2021, 05:07 PM

6,115 posts, read 4,607,373 times
I'm the OP from almost 8 years ago and it's interesting to see this thread still being active with responses, so thanks again to everyone who has been responding.

It seems like 3-4 hours each way is where a lot of people's tolerance ends for doing day trips, with a few outliers at less than 2 hours or much more than 3-4 hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel