Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 06:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,294 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone..

So I am planning a trip to America and one of the places I'm wanting to visit is LA.
It won't be a long trip, I'm only planning on being in LA for 4 maybe 5 days so time is limited,

I have a very broad range of things I want to see/do in loads of different parts of LA so I need to figure out the best area to stay

I probably will hire a rental car.. if that's the best option??

So far I want to see:
-Hollywood - so Universal Studios, Sunset blvd, walk of fame etc. etc. and some of the bars and nightlife there too.
-Disneyland
- Newport Beach
-The getty musuem so possibly spend a day in Santa Monica exploring beaches etc
- Any other activities like other theme parks, or museums, or aquariums that people can recommend
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 06:58 PM

2 posts, read 2,294 times
Whoops forgot to mention, I'm looking at going around July/August

Old 06-23-2013, 07:08 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,394,577 times
Ok, a few things....
Quote:
Originally Posted by avw14 View Post
Hi everyone..

So I am planning a trip to America and one of the places I'm wanting to visit is LA.
It won't be a long trip, I'm only planning on being in LA for 4 maybe 5 days so time is limited,

I have a very broad range of things I want to see/do in loads of different parts of LA so I need to figure out the best area to stay

I probably will hire a rental car.. if that's the best option??

I see no way to do your list without one. I am not sure where you are from but compared to pretty much everywhere, Europe especially, the public transport system here is a joke.

So far I want to see:
-Hollywood - so Universal Studios, Sunset blvd, walk of fame etc. etc. and some of the bars and nightlife there too.

Hollywood and Universal Studios are only together in the most technical of terms as they are sort of close. I would, if I were you, go to Hollywood and Highland. It is a sho[[ing center, but it is also where they hold the Academy Awards and a number of premieres (the Chinese theatre is next door) but I am advising this as while it is touristy, it is somewhat away from the seedier sections of Hollywood...of which there are many.

I would also avoid the bars and nightlife in the hollywood area.

Sunset, take La Cienega up and turn left on Sunset...you will catch the entire "strip" that way.

-Disneyland
- Newport Beach

Both of these in Orange County and Disneyland will take the whole day.

As for Newport...not quite sure why that is the beach you want to visit. Surfrider (Malibu) and Santa Monica are both prettier beaches, IMO

-The getty musuem so possibly spend a day in Santa Monica exploring beaches etc

The Getty VILLA is in the Santa Monica area. The Getty is off of Sepulveda heading into the valley off of the Sepulveda pass on the 405. NOT close.

- Any other activities like other theme parks, or museums, or aquariums that people can recommend
No disrespect intended, but you seem to have an itinerary that bounces you to one side of the city and then the other on a daily basis....so as far as where you want to stay, there isn't anywhere that is central to this agenda...

Old 06-23-2013, 07:30 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avw14 View Post

I think you need someone LOCAL to act as guide.
Either join a tour group or find someone close to your own age for a 1 on 1.
They may even have a spare room to let for a few nights too.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:36 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,008,156 times
Peterson Car Museum if you like cars at all.
Griffith Observatory is a must!

I don't live in LA but I am there 1-2 times every year. Cool city with a ton of things to see. Oh and make sure to have some IN N OUT burger. It's just a fast food chain but its only in the Western U.S. and its so much better than your typical fast food place.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:50 PM

4,400 posts, read 13,394,577 times
I agree. The list of things is disjointed and the things that are mentioned together are not even really together. Yes, it is called Universal Studios Hollywood, it is in Los Angeles.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:42 PM

513 posts, read 913,947 times
Not sure why you'd wanna drive all the way down to Newport Beach. It is a very nice area but not really touristy and not much going on. Much more to do and see L.A in Santa Monica/Malibu. Drive up PCH from Santa Monica to Malibu, it's a nice drive. IF you decide to go down to Orange County, I suggest skipping Newport and going to Laguna Beach. It is beautiful, there is lots going on and the beaches are awesome.

Old 06-25-2013, 05:05 AM

43,663 posts, read 44,393,687 times
If you like walking along the beach then visit Venice.
If you are interested in museums then go to the Museum Mile and visit the L.A. County Museum as well as well as the La Brea Tar Pits.
Also you might want to post this on the L.A. forum for more suggestions from locals in the area.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:22 AM

3,608 posts, read 7,922,824 times
> I probably will hire a rental car..

LA is a great big freeway (as the song says).

Saw something on the plane claiming you could get to many places by public transit. Not sure I believe it. Look at the places you want to visit on the map AND make sure you pay attention to the distance marker. Expect to drive, a lot. Expect to sit in traffic, a lot.

Old 06-25-2013, 06:44 AM

1,846 posts, read 4,742,295 times
You definitely need a rental car. This area is not a public transport city. Sure there are some buses, but LA is not known for it's great public transport. That's why traffic there is horrible.

The weather is beautiful. I agree that you should drive on the PCH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel